Hub shelter owners

• Doug M
    SE SD

When you pack up for the day/night, do you put it in the bag while out on the ice or at home? I like to set shacks up in garage after use to dry out so I just take down, fold up and put in sled.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Put it in the bag. I have the new otter resort and the bag is plenty big

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

I put mine in the bag on the ice too. I don’t dry mine out much. Mine is a non insulated one if that makes a difference.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I think what he’s asking is it worth putting in the bag only to take it right back out of the bag when he gets home.

Personally myself…no, I never bothered fooling around when I pack up and leave. Even more of a needless hassle after dark.

I’d just roll it up best I could and load it back up with all the other gear and once home I’d pull it out, pop it back open to dry.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I put mine in the bag on the ice too. I don’t dry mine out much. Mine is a non insulated one if that makes a difference.

Mine is non insulated too which by my own experience has more inside condensation than an insulated shack.

I could be wrong about that since I don’t have an insulated shack but I do know after a day in an uninsulated with a heater going and sweaty bodies blush and such, there’s alot of wetness dripping from the inside of it.

Doug M
    SE SD

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

I think what he’s asking is it worth putting in the bag only to take it right back out of the bag when he gets home.

Personally myself…no, I never bothered fooling around when I pack up and leave. Even more of a needless hassle after dark.

I’d just roll it up best I could and load it back up with all the other gear and once home I’d pull it out, pop it back open to dry.

Right. Plus it’s dark so I just fold up and put away in the light in my garage after I set it up to dry out.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I have the new Otter Lodge and do the same. I can take it down, strap it, and have it zipped in the bag in 45 seconds. If I knew I wasn’t going to use it within a couple weeks or that it was substantially wet from something, I pop it open in the garage when I get home… otherwise it rides in the bag in the truck until the next outing.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I have always packed it back into the bag. It really only takes me like 1 minute, it keeps everything much more organized.

Doug M
    SE SD

Ok, thanks guys. For those that bag it on the ice, do you dry it out if it was snowing on our outing? Maybe I don’t need to set up and let dry out after every outing-just what I have done with all my portables, flips or hubs.

mrpike1973

I don’t use the bag just 2 bungee cords and good to go.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Ok, thanks guys. For those that bag it on the ice, do you dry it out if it was snowing on our outing? Maybe I don’t need to set up and let dry out after every outing-just what I have done with all my portables, flips or hubs.

I have never had to set up to dry out the hub. I just make sure there’s not a lot of wet snow or ice on the shelter when I put away. Usually I just give the shelter a few hard shake like that of an umbrella to shake off the moisture while the hub is still set up right before take down. When I take the shelter down, I also make sure that I’m not bagging it up on wet snow. I usually still have my foam floor on the ice or I will set the shelter on the tail gate of the truck. I fold my shelter material like that of an umbrella, nice folding, not bunched material. Easy to turn shelter ends on the tailgate and slip into bag for one man operation. The way it’s put into bag makes a difference too if it’s a wet shelter, shelter bottom towards bag opening. I make sure that if I lean bag/shelter on wall, the opening is down and it will all drip moisture down instead of pooling up into bottom of bag or into shelter. It’s in the cold garage and frozen ice/snow, stays as ice/snow.

LabDaddy1

I have an Eskimo 949i. I almost always put it back in the bag, but I put 2 bungees around the middle of it to compress it a little. Makes it slide in and out a little easier. I also take it out when I’m home, except I dry it in the basement because I don’t have a heated garage nor the space.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I pack up as normal. I’ve never “aired” it out afterwards. Mine is non-insulated.

(I do set it up in the spring, lube the HUB’s and zippers and dry it out before the summer storage though)

Dave maze
    Isanti

I use the bag every time I pack up for the day. No drying until I decide to put into storage for the summer.

Joe Dirty
    Big Lake

I have an insulated flip over. I still set it up inside the garage with the heater on inside after every trip out. The way I see it, I spent a lot of money on it and I want it to last as long as possible. Yes it is a pain in the ass at times but so is dealing with zippers that always freeze up, constantly frosty windows, etc. It just makes getting set up more enjoyable.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.