Hub or Flip Over for current slushy conditions?

• AlwaysFishing23

With all this snow and slush what do you guys prefer? Flip over or hub? Flip overs generally weight more loaded and don’t pull as well behind a snowmobile while with a hub most can get by with a smaller otter sled for hub and gear.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

The lake I was just on, it wouldn’t matter which one…I’d just be nervous about GETTING out there. Bring a shovel and good luck!

Cullen McIntyre

Flip overs generally weigh more loaded and don’t pull as well behind a snowmobile while with a hub most can get by with a smaller otter sled for hub and gear.

Flip overs don’t pull well behind snowmobiles? Seriously? When did this happen?

AlwaysFishing23

Yeah I know lakes are bad. I was out for a walk with the dog yesterday on a lake near home and we had a half mile hike each way to a buddy of mines ice castle. It was sloppy and a work out. Knee deep snow and 4”-6” of water and slush. Flip overs pull fine. But I don’t care what kind of “sled” you have it when it’s loaded with gear in this powdersnd slush it’s not going to float as well. Hubs weighting 30-40lbs with a medium sized otter sled (20lbs) while a flip over of most sizes are at least 80lbs. Dosent seem like much but any bit of weight to leave at home helps. In the end it comes down to this in my mind…. what ever kind of snowmobile you have, ATV or UTV with tracks or even some kind of tracked Mobile, lake travel is difficult and fishing in Genral isn’t that great most places right now.

curleytail

If you could put the hub on the snowmobile and keep weight down in the sled down if pulling the sled is bogging you down. I don’t have a snowmobile but I know pulling my Otter Cabin with my ATV can be a lot harder in deep snow than just running the atv alone.

I know snowmobiles pack a track down for the sled to follow in so it might not be as big of a difference.

As far as fishing in all this snow and slush I see a hub being a wet frozen slushy mess that might be a bigger mess to get dried out than a flipover.

So it depends which issue you’d rather deal with! It’s going to be some work either way.

Jeff Telander

I don’t have a hub house and have very little experience with them. I do know that if I get the otter sled wet from sitting in slush and it’s cold enough to freeze it once I pull it out of said slush, it’s bad news. That stuff sticks to the bottom of the sled like you wouldn’t believe. Almost impossible to pull by hand. I think it would come off or at least smooth over after a bit if pulling with a snowmobile. But I don’t have a snowmobile either

A smaller hub or shack strapped directly to the sled is the best option. Towing and slush equals a mess pretty quick.

B-man

If it’s above zero and not windy, skip the shack and sled all together…..

Put your flasher and rod in a backpack and your auger on your lap (if you don’t already have mounts on your sled)

Duluth Guy

I bungee a small hub to my sled when the slush is too bad. Nothing worse than burying a sled. Oh wait, yeah there is…burying a sled and then having to go back to drag your flip shack out once you get your sled extracted.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.