hp restricted lakes in mn

• poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

If a lake has a hp restriction on it, say 10 hp can you not even have a boat on the water with a larger outboard? Even if you never fire it over? For example my lund has a 90 hp fourstroke on it, can I still use the boat if I only use the trolling motor?

Palerider77

Most of them you can use your electric and leave your engine tilted up.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Yep, just keep the big motor trimmed up and out of the water at all times.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

This is a tricky question in MN because many of these restrictions are implemented by counties rather than by the state (DNR). IMO, the legality of this is VERY questionable to say the least.

Therefore, they will open to the enforcement whims of the county law enforcement.

In the metro area, I’ve fished 3 of these lakes in 2 counties and never had an issue even though I have been spot checked by the water patrol. As long as you do not USE the over-HP outboard, it seems that the interpretation is not “cannot possess”, it’s “cannot use”.

However… That doesn’t mean some local yokel water patrol can’t make up his own interpretation in some other county. Keep in mind, many of these restrictions are driven by wealthy lakeshore property owners and their stooge “lakeshore associations” who don’t want you using “their lake”. At all. So law enforcement will be catering largely to their demands as taxpaying citizens and that will, inevitably, include making up the definitions that best suit their goals.

Just another battle in a war that we, as anglers, are going to have to fight and fight soon: The increasing privatization and illegal restrictions placed on the use of public assets by local governments and QUANGOs.

There will be a point of no return on this issue. If we don’t fight it soon, there will be no hope in ever reversing the damage that has been done. Within 25 years, we could see all lakes in MN surrendered to local control.

Grouse

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Anyone know how they are on lake winona? Don’t know how much I’d actually go on it, but planning to move to winona and was going to put my little 14′ up for sale since I don’t hardly use it anymore, but would hate to sell it if I couldn’t use the Lind and just run the tm.

Assuming probably the same answer, but if I had a 9 hp kicker (I dont) I could run with that in theory couldn’t i?

munchy
    NULL

The one place I wouldn’t test it is on the HP restricted lakes in the BWCA. They don’t play with too many gray areas up there.

Otherwise I have been on a few TM only and HP restricted lakes around the state with my 50hp and never had a problem, even with the motor trimmed down to act as a rudder to keep from spinning.

munchy
    NULL

In regards to lake Winona, my buddy used to fish it with his 115 Merc on a bass boat and never heard of him having a problem.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Here in IL, on Lake Shabbona, which is a 10hp or under lake, you can still use your main OB when launching & loading, something like within 200′ of the ramp.

It’s a little hard on the bow mounts when they hit the trailer,,,,,,

Like others have mentioned, check the regs for the particular lake.

HRG

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.