how to tell when spark plug go bad.

• inoobfishing
    NULL

I have a 99 mercury outboard 2stroke. Had 3 spark plug. Is it normal that when you remove the spark plug, there are oil on the spark plug???is it from last year winterized? It does have black or look like burned gray spot in the center of the spark plug?? does have difficulty time start up sometime…..

sometime it start up right on first and 2nd crank…while other it take 4-6 crank or in advance throttle mode to start up.

let me know if it the spark plug problem?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

No, there should not be oil on a spark plug. The ceramic should be a light tan and the electrode will show some signs of wear, but nothing should be coating the spark plug.

Look up online to see if you have the correct spark plugs for this engine.

Then I’d do a spark test on each cylinder. Finally, I’d check compression.

Obviously you should be running a high quality 2 stroke oil mixed to the correct ratio.

Grouse

Grouse

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Buy new plugs. If the engine runs good fagetaboutit.

lhprop1
    Eagan

Pull the plug. Leave the plug wire attached. Try cranking the motor with the plug in your hand.

You’ll know whether the plug is good or not.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

If your Merc is oil injected you will have some oil on them to a degree.

I have a Mercury also and I always change out new plugs every 2 years because I troll alot !

Cheap maintenance !

JMHO Jeff

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Pull the plug. Leave the plug wire attached. Try cranking the motor with the plug in your hand.

Make sure to put the other hand on the block. You should feel a tingling sensation in the middle of your chest.

Just kidding. Do not try this!

john23
    St. Paul, MN

If it was winterized, then yes it’s normal to have oil on the plugs. Replace them. It will cost you $20 or less. Some guys replace annually regardless, others every few years. Unless you put new plugs in last year go spend the $20 and follow suzuki’s advice above.

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lhprop1 wrote:</div>

Make sure to put the other hand on the block. You should feel a tingling sensation in the middle of your chest.

Just kidding. Do not try this!

Are you guys trying to kill him?? Lol

rmartin
    United States

Clean up the plugs and regap to specs and put them back in. I’ve never pulled a plug that did not have some sludge on it. Regapping will solve a lot of starting and rough idling issues. Get a spare set and have the tools needed to so a plug change on the water. A missing plug in a 3 cylinder should show up as a marked power loss. Otherwise as others have suggested, just replace them.

Ed Lashyro
    NULL

If its dry its good, if wet its bad re guardless of buildup or color.Color is an indication of fuel/air ratio.

joc
    Western and Central, NY

I have a 99 mercury outboard 2stroke. Had 3 spark plug. Is it normal that when you remove the spark plug, there are oil on the spark plug???is it from last year winterized? It does have black or look like burned gray spot in the center of the spark plug?? does have difficulty time start up sometime…..

If your winterization process included fogging then the spark plugs will be fouled from the fogging oil. Run the engine for ~ 15 minutes to burn off the remaining fogging oil, then replace the plugs. This is standard procedure. The motor should start up like it did the previous fall, prior to winterization after you replace the plugs. Fogging always fouls plugs and the best step is to replace them.

Hope that helps

inoobfishing
    NULL

Thanks all

I will replace the spark plug…..just haven’t call my marina boat part see how much it cost…..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.