How to eliminate horse/deer flies

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I have a very unique property that I manage for a family whom I built a house for. Their property is 40 acres of wetland, has an 8 acre pond in the middle with the house on an island in the pond.

I’m 14 years into taking care of this property and every year we notice that the deer flies are continually getting worse. It has evolved into now when you turn off the road onto their driveway (about 1/2 mile long), you have swarms of orange balls flying around your truck. Doesn’t matter where your at those little bass turds are on you like stink on poop. Even the deer spend the majority of their time in the pond.

So here is the weird part. I know the neighbors well and have been on their properties. Its not until you get close to the property I manage that they get bad. When you get about a section away, you find almost zero deer or horse flies. So its obvious there is something to this property that is a breeding ground.

Has anyone ever took on something of this scale to reduce deer flies? If so, what did you use besides napalm?? Chemicals is only an absolute last resort. Looking for a natural or organic method

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

I’ve seen these things work pretty good to get rid of them. But it doesn’t help the breeding situation.. Or maybe it would over time?

https://bugballkit.com/

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’ve seen these things work pretty good to get rid of them. But it doesn’t help the breeding situation.. Or maybe it would over time?

https://bugballkit.com/

When I first started doing Google searches, I saw all the blue cup “trolling” traps and thought it was a joke. Maybe some truth to them??

But yes, I am looking at the the breeding aspect of it. They can offspring up to I think 800. Would be pretty hard to put a dent in the population

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

I know a few guys that swear by the TangleFoot, but again, not sure it helps the breeding aspect any. They are bad at my house, swarming the truck, chasing me on the mower, but only for a couple weeks. I think they are just starting the lighten up.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Those deer flies are MERCILESS! I encounter those things when I fish the river in the summer sometimes and they’ll land right on your face and take a bite out of you. Plus they’re damn near bullet proof too. There is no repellent that works on them either. I’ve tried imported Canadian 100% deet spray and that didn’t even phase em. Good luck trying to control those things, they are a curse.

castle-rock-clown

This should work

Attachments:
    1. D18DE05C-E07C-418D-BFE9-BE53515B5DCE.jpeg

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Deer flies lay their eggs in water. Their main predators are frogs, fish, spiders, and birds. You either need more predators eating them, or you’d have to treat the pond with chemical to kill offspring before developing. My guess is the house on an island in the pond has lead to fewer predators to eat the young.

Now, my dad’s property in central mn has lots of woods and wetland. Tons of predators, but tons of deer flies. So, who knows. We’ve been trying things for years and have never had much of a result. It’s boiled down to wear long sleeves, bring a hat to seat with, or a battery bug swatter. Dad will occasionally light a fire in a barrel on the upwind side of the yard to get a slight smoke haze, which he believes helps with deer flies and mosquitos around the house. Good luck.

JEREMY
    BP

My parents have about a 100 acre pond adjacent to them. Every year they are terrible but never even compare to this year. Ive killed more and have been bitten by more then all other years combined I think. Every time I even rub hand across the top of my head I squish at least a couple. There is a population explosion this year and they are hungry.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.