How much tongue weight?

• nord

Bought a new outfit this spring-165 Alumacraft Competitor{1,050 lbs} with a 90 Yamaha SHO {350 lbs} and an Eagle bunk trailer. I was concerned about the tongue weight from the start. Finally had it weighed, came in at 380 lbs.I always thought it should be 10 % of your total weight. I pull it with a F-150 Ford. I just don’t like all the weight on the tongue. Not much I can do, maybe put on longer bunks and move it back six inches, if that would help. Maybe there’s nothing to be concerned about. Any thoughts?

hawghunter08

As long as it trails nice I wouldn’t be concerned at all. I also bought a Lund 1650 rebel xl new and pull it with a 2017 f-150 and have no issues or worries. Now if your f-150 is an older model they didn’t quite handle the weight the same as the new ones. My last was a 2004 and night and day difference in the trucks stance when hooked up to something with tongue weight compared to my new one. But it still pulled nicely,just seemed a little heavier

saddletramp

Move the axle ahead.
    The good thing about heavy tongue weight, it’s less weight on the trailer axle.

B-man

How is your axle attached?

Moving it might be an option.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Have put the loaded rig across a scale? The figure I like is 15% of loaded weight. As mentioned that is only a guideline. Another thing that folks seldom do is weigh just the front axle of the tow vehicle, with and without the trailer attached.
    If the front end is significantly
    lighter with the trailer attached, that is a concern. You may not notice it when towing, until you hit some rain slick roads and it’s too late.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Huntindave, reminds me of the time I loaded a pickup with sheetrock and when I turned the steering wheel the truck kept going straight. Lol.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Bought a new outfit this spring-165 Alumacraft Competitor{1,050 lbs} with a 90 Yamaha SHO {350 lbs} and an Eagle bunk trailer. I was concerned about the tongue weight from the start. Finally had it weighed, came in at 380 lbs.I always thought it should be 10 % of your total weight. I pull it with a F-150 Ford. I just don’t like all the weight on the tongue. Not much I can do, maybe put on longer bunks and move it back six inches, if that would help. Maybe there’s nothing to be concerned about. Any thoughts?

If those weights you listed are empty, then I wouldn’t worry other than some strategic loading. A couple batteries, tank of gas, cooler, gear and you’re probably closing in on 2000# that should be dispersed evenly. Then add in another ~500# for the trailer and you’re at 2500# total. 380# of tongue weight out of 2500# is right around 15%. I’d load the coolers and heavy stuff towards the back of the boat and not worry unless it handles poorly after a few trips. waytogo

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

If those weights you listed are empty, then I wouldn’t worry other than some strategic loading. A couple batteries, tank of gas, cooler, gear and you’re probably closing in on 2000# that should be dispersed evenly. Then add in another ~500# for the trailer and you’re at 2500# total. 380# of tongue weight out of 2500# is right around 15%. I’d load the coolers and heavy stuff towards the back of the boat and not worry unless it handles poorly after a few trips. waytogo
    [/quote]

Agree 100%. If you are looking to be able to lift it on your own you’ve got the wrong boat! That’s what good tongue jacks are for. Your truck should handle this just fine and you are better on the heavier side as you don’t want to have the boat start oscillating at 65 mph.

nord

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

Deleted

People say I’m anal. I pull the same boat (with a 70 hp tho) with the same truck and it has never occurred to me to even think of asking this question. You’re fine ! Have a beer and enjoy your set up.

nord

Thomas Nichols, that sounds like a great plan. Thanks

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.