How much longer till safe ice?

• Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

As most of you guys know, we’ve had some pretty cold weather, and a good few inches of snow (At least in Fargo). I have a large pond in my backyard, and it’s gotten a solid 2 inches over the past few days. Of course, most prairie potholes are a bit larger than a 20,000 gallon pond, and the ones near me have about a centimeter of ice. Any idea how long it will take to get at least 4+ inches on these lakes? The weather trends look like it’s going to stay cold.

-AW

TheCrappieFisherman
    West Metro

Here are some basic ice making charts:

Attachments:
    1. FB_IMG_1540578465725.jpg

2. FB_IMG_1540578467690.jpg

Thomas Brynildson
    Otter Tail County

I live in lakes country outside of Pelican Rapids and have seen lakes and ponds locking up. According to Ben D’s charts we could have as much as 6-8 inches by next week! We’re in the 10’s and 20’s 24 hours a day until next Saturday, and even then the warm up is only to 36 degrees.. I’m starting to regret procrastinating to get my gear ready!

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

Wow, when I get home today I’m setting up my ice gear. I just bought a new open water walleye rod, I might not have much time to use that.

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

There is a lake in my neck of the woods that always is the first to freeze. Maxes out at 6′ but its a fairly large lake. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if I’m jigging on hard water sunday night

Chaz Dobias

I guessing on Upper Red ill be letting clients out of Boondocks Thanksgiving Day. Possibly a few days sooner. Depends on wind pulling the sheet apart and when lower locks up! I offer my New Ice Castles for lodging on shore during Early Ice if Interested! 4man House $100 a night Per House 6 man is $150 a night Per House! Generator, TV DVD, plus much more is included.
    Freeze Baby Freeze!!

Attachments:
    1. 6man2.jpg

2. 6man.jpg

Nick Johnson

Small ponds in Western WI had a thin layer of ice on em this morning. I’m hoping to be on ice around Thanksgiving. Hope I’m wrong… ????

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I’m surprised no one has chimed in yet and said “no such thing as safe ice”. I’m hopeful we will be walking out in the metro by Thanksgiving but I’m guessing more like end of the month if this keeps up. The weather forecast calls for high winds some days which wont help.

tornadochaser

There is a lake in my neck of the woods that always is the first to freeze. Maxes out at 6′ but its a fairly large lake. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if I’m jigging on hard water sunday night

Might be tough if the weeds haven’t laid completely down yet if you’re referring to the lake that starts with “E”.

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

I may get out this weekend to some prairie potholes. I’ll bring a shotgun along with my decoys in case I want to waterfowl hunt instead.

Aaron Kalberer

I am a little bummed beings I was hoping to get the boat out one more time, time to dump some fuel stabilizer in the tank and put it away I suppose!

TheCrappieFisherman
    West Metro

Just remember wind plays a factor in how fast stuff freezes. Be safe out there. Will be a bit for the metro as most lakes aren’t at 32 degrees yet.

deertracker

Light to no wind and 5 degrees in NW MN this morning. Making ice! waytogo
    DT

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

13 deg in eastern Aitkin Co, MN this morning. Some skim ice along shore but still wide open.

Attachments:
    1. 53DEB798-400D-4245-8383-515DBEA698B7.jpeg

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Just remember wind plays a factor in how fast stuff freezes. Be safe out there. Will be a bit for the metro as most lakes aren’t at 32 degrees yet.

And snow can play an even bigger factor in ice development with last nights and this mornings snowfall reminding me of past years disappointments.

Remember…6 inches or more of wet, heavy snow over 2-3″ of ice can render it all unsafe and extremely dangerous. I can recall years past when early heavy snowfall resulted in an almost non-existent ice fishing seasons in some areas.

Fortunately there doesn’t look to be any heavy snow in the longer range forecast, so as always…let’s hope for very little snow between now and Christmas.
    santa

iceager01
    Redwood County/Scott County

Safety First!!…
    Have a Great Weekend Exploring your Favorite Ice Fishing Haunts…

Attachments:
    1. FullSizeRender.jpeg

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

I’m not going on the ice unless there’s 4 or more inches. According to Ben D’s charts, that might be a thing in the near future (even with factors like wind)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.