How many of you fly fish?

• dbright
    Cambridge

I have wanted to get back into fly fishing for years and finally decided this was the year. I picked up a Redington 9wt and 11wt to chase smallies and muskies with this summer. How.many of you fly fish and do any of you smallies or musky fish?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yep, been fly fishing for 40+ years, I’ve never pursued muskies though. I mainly fly fish for panfish, LM bass and northern. Only have a 6 wt rod & line and it does the job for me.

jwellsy

Catching big Northerns on a flyrod is my favorite kind of fishing. It’s a two handed fight for sure.

I have 4 14wt rods, 2 with fly reels and 2 with spinning reels. The 2 with fly reels I use on Northerns with fly line, braided leader, steel leader and a 1oz Silver Minnow. The 2 with spinning reels I use for anything else with monofilament and regular tackle, and cast a long-long-long way.

skinnywater

Yes…most of my conventional gear has been gathering dust for the past 5 years.

I probably chase smallies 80% of the time with the rest split between Pike/Muskie in the summer and trout in the spring.

I have one 6wt, but usually carry a couple of 8wts for bass since I am around a lot of grass and wood. Then I keep one 10wt on hand for toothy critters

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I do some fly fishing. Mostly trout but try to fish smallmouth as well.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I haven’t touched my fly rod in 11 years since dad passed away.

We have a DNR Catfish Work Group meeting in Hutchinson on Tuesday soooo…I’m taking the time (4 days) this year to put some fright back into to the panfish in the area.

If there isn’t any wind which seldom happens in a MN spring, I’ll be using a 4 wt.
    Otherwise a 6

8 and 11 wt will be sitting this one out.

I’ll be fishing memories starting tomorrow. woot

@rootski

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Bought an 8wt a couple years ago for a trip. Now I’m looking at it and thinking that might be fun to actually use.

Little intimidated on figuring out how to get started. All the different types of line, leaders(floating, sink rates, etc), and etc. Been procrastinating and staying with my conventional gear.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Only out of a tube where there is wide open water. Most fun experience was being dragged by a big Northern while fishing for trout. I finally lost him when he doubled back and went between my legs but it was a fun ride while it lasted.

patk, try starting with a sinking tip line. Your presentations don’t have to be great to start and you strip line in to get whacked by the fish. As you get more comfortable, you can expand.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

I fly fish for Steelhead and bass with 7 and 8 wt lines. My panfish trout rigs are 5 wt. I prefer 10 ft rods and use floating lines with a nymph weight forward taper.

Mwal

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Little intimidated on figuring out how to get started. All the different types of line, leaders(floating, sink rates, etc), and etc. Been procrastinating and staying with my conventional gear.

You could also just start with a weight forward floating line. It would be comparable to fishing top water or shallow running conventional gear. Top water fishing is always fun whatever you’re catching. Bass or streamer leaders don’t need to be overly complicated. Leaders/tippits for small panfish/trout flies or Pike/Musky would need attention. Even then, you can buy leaders for many of those applications.

You’ll want a good fly fishing knot book or reference.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I love fly fishing. Smallmouth and pan fish mostly.

Where is my buddy with the lasso as his avatar picture…
    coffee

I wonder if he would have time to fish this summer.

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

5 wt for panfish and 9 for trout and salmon. Need to break them out more and the goal this spring is to us3 the 5wt for crappie on winnebago and delavan.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I love fly fishing. Smallmouth and pan fish mostly.

Where is my buddy with the lasso as his avatar picture…
    coffee

I wonder if he would have time to fish this summer.

Yes, he does. It’s been WAY to long Slider…

I fly fish for everything grin

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Yes sir. Love it. Going to chase Pike/Musky this year.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0354.jpg

ajaikens31
    Big Rapids, Michigan

As a die hard walleye fisherman that grew up fishing the lakes in Minnesota near Fargo, I never thought I would fly fish, but my wife and I moved to Michigan two years ago for her Optometry school and that is basically all I have done since. I went from not knowing how to cast to owning 5 fly rods and reels and I also tie my own flies now. It is extremely addicting! I barely ever even think about walleye fishing anymore, but that could be because the trout fishing around me is amazing and there are hardly any Walleyes to be found.

troutbum
    St. Paul

I have a Hyde drift boat. Works great for chasing Wisconsin musky and smallies. 8/9/10 WT rods. Reels dont matter much. Basically just need a
    line holder. I use floating and intermediate line for most applications. The high density sink line is used in the fall for when I throw very large buoyant flies for toothy critters.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_9550.jpg

2. IMG_5441.png

3. IMG_9537.jpg

4. IMG_8301.jpg

5. IMG_9548.jpg

6. IMG_9546.jpg

7. IMG_9498.jpg

8. IMG_9523.jpg

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’ve tried, but….

Anyone around me with a fly rod in my hand will appreciate the fact that I increase my personal liability insurance. And that I am registered as a dangerous caster. I spend more time digging my flies out of flesh or clothing than I do watching one on the water.

Josh Bothum

I have a Hyde drift boat. Works great for chasing Wisconsin musky and smallies. 8/9/10 WT rods. Reels dont matter much. Basically just need a
    line holder. I use floating and intermediate line for most applications. The high density sink line is used in the fall for when I throw very large buoyant flies for toothy critters.

Awesome pics!

patk
    Nisswa, MN

troutbum wrote:
    Awesome pics!

x2, those are great!

dbright
    Cambridge

Do any of you tie your own flies? I am already​ seeing that it is a necessity when musky fishing or at least having friends that tie. My musky flies should be taken care of for now but I am having trouble finding what I want for bass flies. For the guys that buy your flies where do you go?

dbright
    Cambridge

I dig the drift boat troutbum. I don’t see ever giving up my jet but a drift boat would be better suited for some of the rivers I fish or want to fish.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

dbright Thorne Brothers has muskie flies. Don’t fish with a flyrod so I have not bought any but did notice them last time I was in there.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Fly Fishing is the most fun a person can have standing up…

if they can get the hang of casting which is kind of like riding a bike. A struggle at first but once learned, never forgotten.

I don’t know how many people bought fly rods after watching Dad catch gill after gill when their spinning gear would only get hit occasionally if at all. Then the rods go into the attic never to see daylight again.

Every time I drive over the Kinni in River Falls, I get a warm fuzzy feeling.

Sight fishing on Christmas Island with a fly is a fly fisherman’s dream and I was lucky enough not to wake up until my dream was over.

Attachments:
    1. Trigger-on-Fly.jpg

2. Christmas-Island-LGT.jpg

Nice Fella

I’m new to fly fishing and enjoying it, but struggling learning the difference between wet/dry/nymph/midge flies, and when to use what; and whether or not it should float. Also ‘enjoying’ the generous hatch of ticks on the walk in to the Kinni.
    For musky flies, talk to Robert Hawkins at Bob Mitchell Fly Shop in St. Paul. He carries them, and also happens to hold the world record for largest musky on a fly rod. There is video: https://vimeo.com/bmfs

dbright
    Cambridge

A few musky flies I have coming.

Attachments:
    1. 15167.jpeg

2. 15232.jpeg

troutbum
    St. Paul

Do any of you tie your own flies? I am already​ seeing that it is a necessity when musky fishing or at least having friends that tie. My musky flies should be taken care of for now but I am having trouble finding what I want for bass flies. For the guys that buy your flies where do you go?

Nice looking Beufords, Dbright. Who tied them?

Bass flies are sold everywhere. Finding quality Musky flies that will withstand several chews can be tricky.

Schultz Outfitters sells the Swinging D. Buy them. Lots of them. Another must have bass fly is Blane Chockletts’s Game Changer. Umpqua bought the design and sells them. Fish both of these on floating or sinking line. Its a very productive bass fly.

I recommend these shops:

Thorne brothers
    Bob Mitchells fly shop
    Schultz Outfitters
    Tight lines fly company
    Great Lakes Fly
    The fly fishers fly shop

Instagram is a great way to network with musky tiers. PM if you want some recommendations on custom flies.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I fly fish for trout, bass, and panfish.

The high point of my fly fishing career was catching and landing an Atlantic salmon, in Scotland, on the River Spey, on the fly. For me, it can’t get better than that. Salmon, scotch, and the river of dreams.

I’ve also fly fished in Winchester, England, in the very shadow of Winchester’s mighty gothic cathedral where Isaak Walton is buried. I entered the side door wearing waders and left a fly, still wet with water from the River Itchen, at the foot of his gravestone in his chapel.

Grouse

troutbum
    St. Paul

I fly fish for trout, bass, and panfish.

The high point of my fly fishing career was catching and landing an Atlantic salmon, in Scotland, on the River Spey, on the fly. For me, it can’t get better than that. Salmon, scotch, and the river of dreams.

I’ve also fly fished in Winchester, England, in the very shadow of Winchester’s mighty gothic cathedral where Isaak Walton is buried. I entered the side door wearing waders and left a fly, still wet with water from the River Itchen, at the foot of his gravestone in his chapel.

Grouse

Do you wear tweed and smoke tobacco from a briar pipe?

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I’m new to fly fishing and enjoying it, but struggling learning the difference between wet/dry/nymph/midge flies, and when to use what; and whether or not it should float. Also ‘enjoying’ the generous hatch of ticks on the walk in to the Kinni.
    For musky flies, talk to Robert Hawkins at Bob Mitchell Fly Shop in St. Paul. He carries them, and also happens to hold the world record for largest musky on a fly rod. There is video: https://vimeo.com/bmfs

Yes. Bob Mitchell’s is a good resource.

Also, fly fishing for trout is a different branch all together on the fishing tree. I’ve been at for 15 years or so and only consider myself at an intermediate level.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Do you wear tweed and smoke tobacco from a briar pipe?

No.

Although in Scotland on the salmon rivers one does feel a bit out of place if NOT wearing tweeds. It’s fishing, Troutbum, but not as we know it…

Grouse

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.