How high is your bed?

• reddog

Moving into new house this weekend. Bought a king bedroom set from furniture store that came with a platform. Couldn’t come to terms on a mattress at that store and spent some time shopping. Mattress was delivered yesterday. With platform, box spring and mattress it measures 36 inches high. I’m thinking that’s not gonna fly. I’m going to call the furniture store and see if we need the box spring at all, or if the platform is sufficient. Your thoughts?

tswoboda

With platform, box spring and mattress it measures 36 inches high

Work bench height… perfect. smash

I think our bed is 12″ mattress on a 14″ platform so 26″ and that feels normal to me. 36″ would need a step stool to get in to, but on the flip side it would keep the small kids out.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Hip height. I had to build a step for the dogs to jump in and out with out wrecking there hips

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I noticed that when we were shopping for a bed for my older son’s room. The trend seems to be having very high mattress heights now. It just seems like that’s the way everything is built.

So much so in fact that they’re offering a lot of these little matching step stool things. Which in my opinion would be just a fantastic thing to have to be able to trip over in the middle of the night.

According to our 20 lb tomcat 30 inches was about the maximum vertical leap he could do and still accurately land in the middle of my back in the middle of the night. Any higher than that and his pinpoint accuracy suffered somewhat. To the point where he was only able to deliver a graceful belly flop rather than a four-point landing, which felt akin to having a toddler land on your back while sitting on a four-legged stool.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I thought our bed was pretty high and just measured it at 32 inches.

MX1825

We have a platform bed set up and no box spring. Not sure on the height right now but will measure later.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Is it a full height box spring ? Sometimes you need to get a 4-8″ box spring/base mattress depending on the top Mattress Height.

Coletrain27

Just measured our bed and it’s 29” to the top. Purple mattress with adjustable base. No box spring

dirtywater

I noticed that when we were shopping for a bed for my older son’s room. The trend seems to be having very high mattress heights now. It just seems like that’s the way everything is built.

So much so in fact that they’re offering a lot of these little matching step stool things. Which in my opinion would be just a fantastic thing to have to be able to trip over in the middle of the night.

According to our 20 lb tomcat 30 inches was about the maximum vertical leap he could do and still accurately land in the middle of my back in the middle of the night. Any higher than that and his pinpoint accuracy suffered somewhat. To the point where he was only able to deliver a graceful belly flop rather than a four-point landing, which felt akin to having a toddler land on your back while sitting on a four-legged stool.

Ours climbs up the headboard in the morning and does cannonballs onto our faces. Nice animals.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

30″.

Ours is some sort of foam mattress deal that doesn’t need a box spring. It sits on an adjustable base.

…It could be 1″ or 10′ tall and any animal that crawled into my bed would end up approximately 72″ underground. That is only if it got into the house and the wife didn’t finish it off first.

reddog

Called both the mattress company and the bed company and the bed company explained the bed pedestal and said we wouldnt need the box spring. The mattress company, when I explained the platform, also agreed no box was necessary, but if we liked a taller bed, they had a 5 inch option also. Were going without for now.. Thanks to all who replied. I think ours will be 27 inches when fitted with beddding.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Do not use a box spring on a platform bed, mattress only.

Deuces

Work bench height… perfect

Nice.

Sleepfoundation.org literally has specs and reviews for those specific activities, hilarious, yet quite informative woot

IceManBran

Perfect height to thrust without standing on my tippy toes.

Ripjiggen

^^^I would need a step stool.
    Don’t make fun.. shock

dirtywater

30″.

Ours is some sort of foam mattress deal that doesn’t need a box spring. It sits on an adjustable base.

…It could be 1″ or 10′ tall and any animal that crawled into my bed would end up approximately 72″ underground. That is only if it got into the house and the wife didn’t finish it off first.

You sound like a joy jester

Bill Cadwell

My dog and cat both sleep with me. Small dog though, whew.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

You sound like a joy jester
    [/quote]

Hoping he doesn’t own animals, I could imagine how they are treated. Sorry bucky

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My dog and cat both sleep with me. Small dog though, whew.

Mine do to. German shepherds, and 2 cats.

MX1825

Finally measured our bed. It is a king size platform style.
    Overall height 27.5 inches
    Mattress thickness 13.5 inches
    No box spring.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.