Cat bite

• Mykal
    Rogers, MN

The Cats were not real aggressive but we managed a few. My buddy picked up 5 Cats with one a 8.7 lbs. I picked up 16 Cats with the biggest at 6.5 lbs. We put away the hardware and had to downsize to very small presentations. Most of the fish were right near the bottom edge of the drop. It was a task to get them to come up and take the bait. Many lookers and light bumps. I imagine they will get more aggressive. The bite started slow, but it picked up as the day wore on with peek at dusk. A school of rock bass joined in on the fun and one crappie.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Just curious …but what do you do with them cat’s? My dad loves catfish,not so much cleaning them but eatting he loves. Where abouts on the chain are you? I have a freind that has a cabin on the chain , I beleive it may be horseshoe. Are they fishing near the island? Not sure what it’s called darn it?

chappy
    Hastings, MN

I take back the Lake he’s on …..It’s Ceder Island Lake. I’m guessing the Island we fish near is Ceder Island???? Big D,You out there somewhere?

Mykal
    Rogers, MN

Chappy, we are just catching and releasing them. Maybe take a pic or two. Thought about taking one home someday, but I am mostly a Walleye guy so I just love the action. It’s a great battle when your pulling these fish from deep water on light tackle. The Cats are in many of the deep holes in the chain. It’s loaded with them.

Mykal
    Rogers, MN

Chappy, the access off 22 towads the island is good from what I hear. We are in Horseshoe lake.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Mykal, did you ever try any of those spots I mentioned? Just curious, I haven’t had a chance to get over there yet.

Mykal
    Rogers, MN

Scott, No we did not make it over there. We were trying for a mixed bag of fish last weekend. I do plan on giving it a shot though. Thanks.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Adam and I tried a few spots last night, as I have a buddy coming down to fish cats this weekend. We found quite a few fish but lots of lookers and very few takers.

That is pretty typical though. The guys coming down to fish are big time cat guys, I am sure they will have no trouble getting them to go.

Mykal
    Rogers, MN

Scott, how’d they do on the Cats? They have been a bit finicky so far but are biting. I sure could have used your services on Mille last weekend. I looked for you guys but couldn’t find Grab’s shack from the SW to NW side.There were quite a few houses out already though. I got a good scare on the NW end as the pressure ridge broke open.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Mykal, we hide our houses pretty good!!

I didn’t get a cat report yet. I am sure I will in the next day or two.

Mykal
    Rogers, MN

Scott, I guess! Must have painted it camo white. Grabs and I are heading to LOW for 4 days leaving Sunday. When we get back Mr Pike 1 will be ready to have you guide us out. and find some of those mama Mille ‘eyes and show us a trick or 2.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.