DNR should impose new rules on the Chain

• JoeMX1825
    MN

I have a cabin on the chain and have noticed the fishing level has declined over the years. It seems every boat I see keeps everything they catch. The average Walleye now is around 10 inches and the Bass are getting harder to find. We need slot limits on this lake and better enforcement by the DNR. Seems all they do is park under the Horseshoe bridge and watch the boats go by…

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

My parents live by the chain and what they’ve noticed is the Cormmarants and Pelicans seem to take the brunt of the blame for the poor fishing in there lake. The fishing has steadily got worse as the bird populations increase.
    My dad sits with the glasses watching them feed in the spring.
    I sit back and wonder whats worse, the birds or the gill nets?

scottsteil
    Central MN

I have contacted the DNR and the Sauk River Chain of Lakes Association about this same thing. I hope the SRCL has a voluntary slot limit they are working on. There are several small walleye classes in the chain right now, you will find lots of 6 inch, 9 ” and 12-14 inch fish now. These fish all represent stocked years and are pretty willing to bite, yes, even the 6 inchers.

The Chain is actually in a recovery phase right now, the panfish populations are on the rise again as well as walleye and smallmouth bass. With that said, the Chain does need some type of regulation to encourage catch and release of larger fish.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’m glad others are taking notice of this, I think the Walleye, Northern and Small and Largermouth bass all need protection, with the amount of water and cover on these lakes it could be a terrific fishery if it had some time to build itself up..I’m just sick and tired of boats going past my dock with a stinger full of 12″ walleyes. I have 2 fish fries a year, that’s the only time I keep anything.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.