Horseshoe Chain Update

• riverrunt75
    Cold Spring

I made it out for the fist time since opening Tuesday. Had a great day boating over 20 walleyes, although the biggest one was only 14″. Most are trolling cranks near the bridges. But I think this bite is over with boats working the bridges hard the last few days. Found most of my eyes in the 5-7 feet on a wind blow shore line. I was snap jigging .25 once bfishn’glitter jig head with a cut down ring worm or paddletail in firecracker color. I also trolled cranks and picked up a few. By far the best color was green and white berkly frenzy.

While trolling cranks I found a school of prespawn crappies. The school was tight and on the feed. I cought a bunch and kept five of the skinny ones for a meal. Some were real pigs with round tummys. The water was 65 degrees so they should be spawning anytime.

The cats are on a major bite getting read for there spawn. You will find more shallower than 10 feet than you will deeper. Totally opposite of a few weeks ago. Most are small but fight good. I even cought one trolling. But the best way I think to catch a few now is fishing with a bobber and cut bait over the emerging weed beds.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

You ain’t kidding about the small ones. We did catch 5-6 17″ers by the 22 bridge Sat. and Sunday mornings.Caught about 30 little tykes!

JoeMX1825
    MN

It was a good opener here, my group, 4 guys in 2 boats, managed to catch about 50 Walleyes between Saturday/Sunday, we kept 8 for a fish fry (Largest was 23 inches, caught most of them with simple hook and sinker rigs, caught a nice 3 pounder with a shaprap though in Ceder Island) Northerns were crazy in Becker lake with both boats catching at least 40 fish in a few hours (ranged from 1-5 pounds) Green and White spinnerbaits were the lures of choice. Bass opener is only 8 days away!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.