Smallies

• scottsteil
    Central MN

They are on the chew big time out there. The fish seem to be skinny when compared to other lakes but the length is there. I am guessing they grew very fast and there weight hasn’t caught up to their lenght yet. Fish 18-20 inches have been pretty common over the last month.

I have been working various plastics and giant tubes. Everything seems to work when presented right. Some fish have been around docks, most out a little deeper on the sand and gravel.

fishandski
    Lakeville

Scott,

My old man is looking at buying a trailer at one of the resorts on the Horseshoe chain. Are there any websites that you know of that show some of the resorts and some of the trailers/lots that might be for sale at said resort?

Thanks,

Fishandski…….

P.S. I don’t know much about the chain…how is the fishing. How is the recreational traffic?

scottsteil
    Central MN

I don’t know of any web sites that will show you resort layouts. There are quite a few resort that rent seasonal sites. Most of the resorts are on the River portions of the lake. If you have an idea of what you are looking for I can probably help you out a little more.

The fishing on the Chain is excellent. Walleye, Pike, Bass, Blugill, Crappie and Catfish are all abundant and of quality size. The water quality has improved A LOT over the last 10 years and will continue to get better. The Chain is a reservoir so we end up with whatever comes down the river.

fishandski
    Lakeville

I know my old man is looking for a seasonal type resort. He is not sure whether he wants to buy a new trailer and find a spot to put it or buy an existing trailer already in a resort somewhere. We have some family that has a trailer up there at a resort and we might go and see it sometime soon. While we are there what is our best bet to find lots/trailers for sale? Just take the boat and drive to each one and check them out or is there a local publication that has classifieds?

So when you say river portions of the lake, you mean there are no resorts on any of the 13 lakes? Just cabins on the lake, and resorts on the sauk river inlet/outlet? How easy is it to navigate to the chain from the sauk river?

Nice to see it is good fishing…

Thanks for the info!!!!!

fishandski……

scottsteil
    Central MN

The River runs through most of the lakes, the river portion is the area that has current. Most of the resorts are on this part. If you take a drive down Hwy 22 you will be able to drive past almost every resort on the Chain. That would be my suggestion.

I would imagine you will have the best luck buying a trailer on an existing spot. It is getting near the end of the season and this is the time to buy.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Hey Scott, What lakes do you focus on for Smallies? Horseshoe & Ceder Island have been the best for me…What colors have you been using for them? catch any on spinnerbaits or topwater? What times of day seem to work best for you?

scottsteil
    Central MN

I focus on the lakes with the cleanest water. Usually that means Cedar Island, Horseshoe and Krons Bay. There are river portions of the system that are good earlier in the year but this time of year I try to find the cleanest water.

bluefin
    Farmington, MN

fishandski,

My old man is looking to sell his seasonal trailer. It’s not right on the chain but is on Rice Lake which is just down the road (would maybe take 5 minutes to trailer to the Chain). The trailer is only 2 years old and has not yet been advertised for sale. He just bought a cabin near Duluth this week and is looking to get rid of the camper. It’s on a nice lot and comes with a deck and shed.

Reply to this post or PM me for details if there is any interest.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Are they structure oriented or just cruising around? Weedlines or open water? Krons bay is mostly a weedline 15-20 feet from shore then just sand, have to been focusing on that area? how deep have they been? any topwater action?

noska

the only clean water on those three lakes is in the hot tubs on shore….lol

ive had better luck lately with the bass species on pleasant lake, big lake, and browns lake…. in that local area.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Nice fish Noska!! I have been focusing on sand/gravel areas. Not much for weeds left but they seem to be using the weedlines.

fishandski
    Lakeville

Scott,

Thanks for the info…we will definitely take a drive down 22 and check out the resorts.

Thanks,

fishandski

Borch

I really like fishing those river sections. A little current break and cover does a lot to concentrate those bass. But to be honest I mostly get into the largemouths there(lots of them and some biggies too).

When chasing smallies I usually hed over to Rice or Koronis. Picked up one just over 20″ on Rice last week. Wish I woould have been able to get a pics of her.

Jeff

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Welcome to In-Depthangling Jeff. Glad to have you with us. Please feel free to post all you want. Thanks, Bill

JoeMX1825
    MN

I spent most of last weekend fishing in Krons Bay and not one Smallie! I used Tubes, Husky Jerks and Spinners along the shorelines and no Smallies (A couple of Walleyes though) What are you guys doing differently? Send me a PM

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.