Horseshoe fall panfish

• erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Heading up this comeing weekend to visit my sister and brother in law. I am leaving the river for the first time in years. They are putting me in charge of findhing some panfish for a meal and I am 100% new to this area. I am under the understanding there are some nice gille and crappies to be had. Just curious on how to approach finding them this time of year with the cooler temps. Should I be looking deep for suspended fish or will this week long high pressure have them up on the green weed edges putting there fall feed bag on!? Appreciate any help on this one here.

BBKK
    IA

There are no visible green weed edges on horseshoe, at least none in water over 3′. They are dark colored coontail type weeds.

Try here. Did the map for pug, so ignore the red line starting in east lake. This bay usually has a ton of crappie and bluegill in it.. just have to find them. Sometimes they are up under the dock pictured, sometimes they are suspended out in 15-20 FOW.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I assume the traffic will be down this time of the year, so I’d try the bridge where the line goes under the road. I know some people caught a mess there when I was up there. Also, hit the docks around there, especially on the west side of the bridge, if they are still out.

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

I assume the traffic will be down this time of the year, so I’d try the bridge where the line goes under the road. I know some people caught a mess there when I was up there. Also, hit the docks around there, especially on the west side of the bridge, if they are still out.

Those docks are a resort, and this weekend will be the last weekend for it.. probably be out still.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I’d hit the large flat out in the middle of Horseshoe before the big drop off, Sunnies suspend there…also fish any larger docks you can find, I pull 9 inchers out from under mine..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.