Fish in the Shallows

• scottsteil
    Central MN

The ice has been off the lake since the weekend and with the warm sunny days the fish have started showing up in the shallows on the Chain. The pressure is still low but that won’t last long. For the best luck, look for the shallowest muddy bay you can find.

The cold weather coming this weekend will most likely push the fish back out of the shallow water but that won’t last long. Some of the best bluegill and crappie fishing happens over the next month.

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

My Dad’s been out checking the flowages between the various lakes this week, no reports back yet.

JoeMX1825
    MN

The Ceder Island bay near the road should be good

scottsteil
    Central MN

The fish vacated the shallows this weekend because of the cool temps and wind but I would guess by Wednesday things should be heating up again.

If you are out in the boat, just check the first deep water near the shallow muddy bays and you will find some of the best fishing of the year. You don’t have to wait for them to move into the shallow water, it is just a lot easier.

scottsteil
    Central MN

They are back. I made the rounds last night and found fish in several bays. Nice crappies and gills both. However, others have found them too. You will find company in the bays holding fish.

hooks
    Crystal, Mn.

Most of the feeder cricks have fish in them, my Dad has been getting some nice sunnies.

Doug Ertl
    St Cloud, MN

Day off today… make room in the bay, will report back tonight.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Man it’s like a 3rd world country back in those bays! Breaks my heart to see everyone keeping everything they catch! I just love to see their face everytime I would throw a slab crappy back…Catch & Release my friends!

scottsteil
    Central MN

Catch and Release, people do no know what that is around here. Sadly it is all catch and keep. Tough bunch to change but most eat them all. The only hope for the future of the chain is a restrictive slot on all species including panfish.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Amen brother! Do you have any pull with the DNR to get that done? Do you need any help?

scottsteil
    Central MN

I have been working with the Sauk River Chain of Lakes Association and have been in contact with the DNR also. It will take the backing of the lake association to get anything done. The DNR is in total favor of it!

fishhead
    Chaska

It would be a shame to see this great diverse lake go to waste by over harvest.Your doing a great thing Scott.
    By the way…run into any of those whiskered scale less fish recently?

scottsteil
    Central MN

Fishhead, no shortage of catfish in the chain. In fact, I believe the DNR is removing 600 a year now to stock some of the lakes near the cities. We have a great population of small fish but getting the overall size up is a problem. I think this is the reason for removal of some of them.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.