Honda Ridgeline

• Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I know some guys might not want to admit it but does anyone tow often with a newer ridgeline? How does it do? Do you wish you went full size? I am looking at upgrading to one and will eventually want to upgrade the boat in the next 3ish years to one that weighs a total of 2,500lbs boat motor and trailer. I would imagine this would be dry weight so id assume 3,000lbs fully loaded which is well within the ridgeline’s listed capabilities. I know I know its not a real truck coffee

mnfisherman18

I have not towed with the new one, but I owned a first gen and have towed a very similar boat (18.5 sportfish) with my dads new Pilot. My experiences with the first gen were fine, power was adequate, but definitely felt like it was working hard to maintain 75 up hill while towing. It also had about an inch more squat than I would have liked, the back end was a little soft.

I can feel the power increase in the new pilot, I think it went from 250 to 280 HP now. The engine feels more confident, I think perfectly capable towing a 3,000 pound boat. Back end still sags more than I want it too, but I think the suspension on the new Ridgelines is beefed up.

The latest facelift they did on the Ridgeline in 2021 makes it look a heck of a lot better. Not a huge fan of the big fender flares some have, but the front end looks great IMO. Other pros are the Honda V6 is bullet proof, and the transmission appears to be solid as well.

There should be no shame in driving one, its probably the right choice for 80% of truck owners out there.

dirtywater

There should be no shame in driving one, it’s probably the right choice for 80% of truck owners out there.

So true.

3k is gonna be nothing for that vehicle to tow. Heck a Subaru forester is rated for like 3500lbs now, I think?

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I have not towed with the new one, but I owned a first gen and have towed a very similar boat (18.5 sportfish) with my dads new Pilot. My experiences with the first gen were fine, power was adequate, but definitely felt like it was working hard to maintain 75 up hill while towing. It also had about an inch more squat than I would have liked, the back end was a little soft.

I can feel the power increase in the new pilot, I think it went from 250 to 280 HP now. The engine feels more confident, I think perfectly capable towing a 3,000 pound boat. Back end still sags more than I want it too, but I think the suspension on the new Ridgelines is beefed up.

The latest facelift they did on the Ridgeline in 2021 makes it look a heck of a lot better. Not a huge fan of the big fender flares some have, but the front end looks great IMO. Other pros are the Honda V6 is bullet proof, and the transmission appears to be solid as well.

There should be no shame in driving one, its probably the right choice for 80% of truck owners out there.

I was hoping to hear that. Not a super Heavy boat & Trailer (Looking at 17.5′ Aluminum boats) but I would be towing it pretty often in the summer.

KG25
    Lakeville, MN

I have a 2022 Ridgeline. I haven’t used it for towing since I sold my boat a few years ago, but I wouldn’t hesitate to tow what you’re looking to tow. I’m very happy with the truck. My favorite feature is the large lockable trunk that you access from the rear of the bed.

Attachments:
    1. 5F1D9CE5-D321-4747-8536-B7BED360DCF4-scaled.jpeg

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I have a 2022 Ridgeline. I haven’t used it for towing since I sold my boat a few years ago, but I wouldn’t hesitate to tow what you’re looking to tow. I’m very happy with the truck. My favorite feature is the large lockable trunk that you access from the rear of the bed.

Love that color. The lockable truck is pretty sweet. Do you ever send that thing through some deep snow to see how it handles it? My current CRV is pretty good in snow and I would assume the ridgeline is even better.

KG25
    Lakeville, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>KG25 wrote:</div>

Love that color. The lockable truck is pretty sweet. Do you ever send that thing through some deep snow to see how it handles it? My current CRV is pretty good in snow and I would assume the ridgeline is even better.

This is my first winter with it and I haven’t had it out in any real deep snow, but it’s handled everything I’ve driven in just fine.

I don’t take it off road much either. I’ve used the bed mainly for hauling a couple of kayaks and various loads from fleet farm type places. It’s nice that it has 50” between the wheel wells in the bed so 4×8 sheets fit flat as well.

I’ve never owned a full size truck but the Ridgeline fits all my needs. I don’t plan on ever towing over 5k and the payload for the bed is enough for whatever I would haul in the bed. It drives and rides like an SUV so it’s a very comfortable vehicle.

tswoboda

Pretty much a Pilot with a truck bed, right? I use my wife’s Pilot to tow my similar sized boat when she parks in the way. Never more than 30 miles one way but it does just fine. Different than towing with a full size truck, but fine.

Looks like the ridgeline has a longer wheelbase, better brakes, and beefed up suspension. So it should be a noticeably better tow vehicle than the Pilot, even if they are rated the same.

nord

Carter Johnson, I’m on my second Ridgeline. The first one was a 2017 and last fall I bought a 2022. I pull an Alumacraft Competitor 165 so I’m right around 2500 lbs. The 280 hp pulls it just fine including up the hills coming back from Red Wing. The locking trunk and tailgate are a big plus. The AWD is listed at pulling 5,000 lbs. The size is just right for our garage, and I don’t feel the need for a full size pickup. The true test will come in July with our 4 man trip to Canada. I’ve already warned the guys only a two piece rod or nothing more than a 6’6″ rod will fit in the 5’3″ box. Over all. I love the TRUCK!

Reef W

The true test will come in July with our 4 man trip to Canada.

A long time ago we did 15 hours with 3 people in a Nissan Frontier (I think, some tiny pickup) and I sat on one of those sideways jumpseats, a Ridgeline will be luxurious in comparison. Four people and their stuff in a 165 sounds worse to me lol

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Towing capacity is rated for 5,000 pounds, so I’m guessing 3,000 would be fine. Braking would also not be an issue.

I tow a 3500 pound boat/motor/trailer with my Ford Ranger that has a towing capacity of 7500 pounds relatively easily, although I do not go on an long trips with it.

stjoeguy

I’m on my second Ridgeline pulling a Lund 1800 Explorer with a Mercury 115. I’m not sure of the weight but it’s got to be similar to what you’ll be pulling. The first Ridgeline was a 2008 and I’m now driving a 2017. Yes, a fishing friend kids me that it’s not a “real” truck, but it’s the “right” truck for what I need.

Pros: great mileage, truck bed trunk, smooth ride, all wheel drive, it’s low enough so you can get in and out easily without having to climb up or use a running board, split back seat that folds up out of the way, wheel wells don’t intrude into the truck bed, costs less to buy and operate than a full size truck.

Cons: the back seat is not as roomy as a full size truck (adequate for as often as I have people in the back seat, but not as roomy), won’t go 75 uphill without down-shifting (not an issue between MN and Ontario), the bed’s a little shorter (it’s also not quite as tall so not all coolers will fit under a tonneau cover), longer fishing rods and bigger coolers go in the boat.

For pulling a boat up to Ontario a full size truck would probably be more comfortable, but my Ridgeline is adequate for those 2 weeks and great for the other 50 weeks during the year.

If you’re like me and have never owned a full size truck, the Ridgeline will be great and enough truck for what you need. If you’re used to a full size truck, the Ridgeline will always be not a “real” truck.

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

3k is gonna be nothing for that vehicle to tow. Heck a Subaru forester is rated for like 3500lbs now, I think?

At one point I had a Subaru Forester and towed a 16.5 ft aluminum boat with it. It worked, but you could tell at times it was giving it all it had. Towed that same boat with an older Honda Pilot and it was a breeze. Would assume a Ridgeline would be plenty fine. Just remember its not all about the pulling, but more about if the vehicle is able to safely stop with 2500 to 3000 pushing it forward.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Lots of great points. Really glad to see everyone seems to love them thats owned them. I have never personally owned a full sized truck and really dont see the need for one. Glad to hear guys tow similar weights no problems!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

My wife has towed our 17′ fiberglass fishing boat on our 10 day family vacation to Northern WI for a couple years now with her Jeep Grand Cherokee. I tow the tritoon with my pickup and she follows. I think the tow rating on her Jeep is 6200#, and the boat + gear + trailer is probably around 3k pounds (so similar to your setup). Make sure you have good tires that are properly inflated, the correct height hitch, and I’d be shocked if your rig has any issues.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I’ve always been told that my half ton isn’t a real truck because it’s not a 2500… starting to think there are no real trucks. Maybe a Chevy Kodiak? F-650?

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I bought a full size primarily because I always planned on owning a fish house one day. I’ve since changed my stance and don’t ever plan on towing much of anything larger than my alumacraft 175 and a small utility trailer. If I were to do it all over or my tundra ever gets totalled I would consider a Ridgeline. I dont have experience with a ridgeline but I do own an odyssey which I believe shares the same powertrain

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

If I didn’t pull a skid loader and dump trailer for side work then I’d drive a small suv. Honda or Toyota would get my vote.
    Actually looking for a Honda accord at the moment with a 5 speed that’s in good shape, that way I only use my new truck for pulling

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

They are for sure enough truck for a lot of needs. However after owning a couple downsize SUV’s I don’t think I will ever own another not full size truck or SUV. The mileage savings just does not justify the lack of ability for me. To be fair I do own a fish house and a fairly heavy boat, could easily do the boat with a Ridgeline, but I felt that way before I owned the fish house.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

If I didn’t pull a skid loader and dump trailer for side work then I’d drive a small suv. Honda or Toyota would get my vote.
    Actually looking for a Honda accord at the moment with a 5 speed that’s in good shape, that way I only use my new truck for pulling

Who was the guy that used to be around here…and started that giant debate on commuter cars? I remember that thread being good for quite a few chuckles.

stevenoak

My brother pulls a 22′ pathfinder to Ft. Meyers every winter. With bicycles and everything for 4 months under the cover, with a Pilot. Over 4,000#. Not going to recommend that. But the only issue he has had was high transmission temperatures. But driving 80mph in 80-degree weather on south of Nashville hills. My wife and I have driven Pilots since 2006. I’ve pulled my 1850 Alumacraft with 115 & 9.9 with no issues. Also have a 1546 jon boat. I can tell when it’s behind my 2011 GMC 5.3 but can’t feel it behind the Pilot. The newer Ridgeline is sure to be better than that. 2 thoughts. If you are going to tow a lot and distances. Inquire about transmission cooler. Also, pulling is one thing. Stopping is another. May want electric brakes on a heavier boat for wet or icy roads. Then get a good tight fit receiver to hitch, hitch to trailer. If you have never pulled with a uni-body. Any slop noise transfers to the driver seat like someone just a#@ ended you.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Who was the guy that used to be around here…and started that giant debate on commuter cars? I remember that thread being good for quite a few chuckles.

I do remember that as well, but I don’t need a commuter car either. I have a company vehicle, I need a car so I can go get groceries and not have to unhook my trailers or drop my pickup camper. That way my truck is always ready to go north

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

2 thoughts. If you are going to tow a lot and distances. Inquire about transmission cooler..

The good news is they do come stock with a transmission cooler so that should be good. Good to hear the pilots tow very well. Knowing the ridgeline is a beefed up pilot basically should be set. I doubt I will every tow much more than the boat.

stevenoak

Tow vehicles post often come back to, out of 10,000 miles. How many are actually towing. What are you doing 90% of the time. Ridgeline will get good milage and likely last forever till the salt gets it. It will tow fine the 5% or 10% it’s hooked to something. I bought a 3.5 ecoboost, about 50% of my miles are towing since I retired. At that I only went that way because most of my tow/hauls are 500 to 1300 miles one way. Go Ridgeline. The only one disappointed will be your auto mechanic.

tim hurley

I have a 2015 Pilot that I tow a heavyish boat with, I have pulled my boat out of bad launches, launches that really did not look like launches, up steep grades. The Pilot has always pulled my boat out. I looked for the Touring trim mostly so I could get the transmission cooler. If you were towing every day this would not be the best, but for a vehicle that can handle moderately rough terrain it also gives you and your passengers a very smooth ride on the highway.

queenswake
    NULL

I think as long as you have a utility trailer for hauling other stuff that won’t fit in that smaller bed, the Ridgeline will be fine for towing the boat in your range. And since everything is holding their value so well these days, you won’t lose much if you do need to upgrade down the road.

There is a reason the Ford Maverick is selling like crazy right now.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.