Home Security Systems

• mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

So what you got? The wife has wanted one since we moved in so I am sorting through all the options. Personally I would prefer just a couple cameras indoor/outdoor with 2 way talk that sends alerts to my phone and a ring style doorbell. I’d like to here what you people have as a set up and any monthly fees you may pay.

404 ERROR
    MN

Ring security system for all windows and doors, Ring doorbell and 2 Netgear Arlo cameras. 100% wireless and works fantastic.

I did notice that my 3.5 yo daughter doesn’t set off the Ring Doorbell. Anyone got kids that age and wanna start a porch pirate ring?

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

We have a Nest camara above the front door. We can see the whole front yard and driveway and it has the “talk” speaker on it. Been very nice for various things. even had a coyote come up our front walkway.

We have Simply Safe inside. easy to install and haven’t had a problem with it. nice to have that camara with “speak” in the living room to check in on our kids when we leave them home.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I have a 100 pound yellow lab, he’s the security system. We also have the ring door bell, and two cameras one looking outside at the front door and one inside to spy on the kids.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I have tried the wireless ones and have not been happy with them. Once they warm up and start recording all you get is the back side of the person leaving. I am going to cut a hole in my wall and run some PVC to the roof (I have a ranch, one level house). I will use that to run CAT6A wire to everything with a CC system. It is a lot more work but the butt of the delivery person does me nothing. If it was someone taking stuff from my front porch I would have nothing. I had Arlo and others. Mabey I had the settings wrong.

ThunderLund78

I have the 4-camera Arlo system + Arlo doorbell. Have had it for about two months now and am very pleased with it. Cameras are battery operated and maintained with solar chargers on each unit. Was told I may have to supplement the charge every few months or so via a charging cable -but so far all 4 cameras are always running at 100% – perhaps in the winter maybe the sun wont be as strong. Apparently a fully-charged battery will last three weeks on its own without the charger. Very easy-to-use app which allows you to watch any camera live at any time. Can easily arm/disarm the cameras (IE motion trigger to send notification and starts recording) with a touch of your screen. Can also program an alarm or activate the alarm from your phone. Still on the trial service, but I think it will be 14.99/month for 4k video on all cameras plus 30 days rolling cloud storage, Geek Squad did my install, but in watching I probably could’ve handled it. I did appreciate the tech’s advice on specific placement, app tutorial, etc.

So far all we’ve got is the neighbors cat and the occasional bunny, squirrel or bird. But that’s fine by me! I dont really have a big crime concern where I’m at. It’s mainly because my kids are now of the age where they’re trusted to spend more time home alone and I want to know who’s coming an going )

Have not put one inside – YET, but will probably add one facing the bar at some point. Gotta keep an eye on the booze!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I have Ring with multiple cameras and sensors on the whole lower floor. I think it would be very difficult to beat Ring’s ease of use or the quality of their cams. Everything for the install was plug and play, the outdoor cams work well in all weather.

All cams have 2 way talk. It’s very reassuring to be able to check in on the place back in the day when we could actually go someplace…

For the price of the monitored service with unlimited cloud recording, it’s hard to beat Ring. I like the idea that if the alarm goes off and I”m not able to check in, somebody is going to get the call.

Grouse

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Blink. Completely free storage. No hard wiring at all. Batteries last a long time. Cheap to buy…free to run!

DTW

Ideally, cameras pointed AT your house covers more area. Adding cameras pointing away from your house as well would be best.

I do not use any camera that stores it’s data ( video) with the company that makes the system. I don’t have control of that video and the security company does. The company can see through your camera without you knowing.

I have a secure DVR that records and stores the videos in a Fireproof location on my property. No log in required. Not hardwired so easy set up with your router not theirs. There are numerous popular companies that make this type of system.

DTW

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

The weird thing is when I searched top home security options I don’t think Ring came up much, if at all, at least I didn’t notice it. It’s really odd because when I used to work in the office I’d hear peoples phones ringing from their ring alerts all the time.

I am leaning toward SimplySafe for inside the house and maybe a separate camera system for outside like Nest. SimplySafe always comes up as #1 with the biggest knock being no outdoor cameras. But outdoor camera’s don’t need monitoring necessarily, so this may be the combo I go with for home security.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

We have simplisafe but we don’t pay a service to link it to their base. We have sensors on all windows and doors. If someone opens a window a very loud alarm will go off within 10 seconds. By that point ill have my gun in hand from the bedside safe.

We also have a dog that barks at everything. I dont know if a pug will do the trick but ya never know.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

The most common we set up in new homes has been the Honeywell lyric system. Very flexible and easy to add various peripherals.

In applications where internet service is poor to non existent, the Lorex for and poi cameras are incredible. Been blown away at the recording at night.

Coletrain27

I have 4 Arlo cameras around my house and 1 in the garage. 7 days of free storage and can pay a fee to store longer if you wish. Pretty slick and can see it all with the app on my phone. Also have 3 dogs that bark at everything

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Blink. Completely free storage. No hard wiring at all. Batteries last a long time. Cheap to buy…free to run!

same here. all wireless, batteries last 2 plus years. triggers on motion so not on all the time but you can peak in any time in the app. you can schedule wnen to turn on or off any time or day. I think we are going on close to 4 years on same batteries. our outdoor cams run on lithium but our indoor are plugged in……..all wireless. our dogs are our security system but its nice to check in and see how they are doing when left alone.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I have a 100 pound yellow lab, he’s the security system.

Honestly the sound of a large barking dog is probably enough to deter most intruders.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

We also have a dog that barks at everything. I dont know if a pug will do the trick but ya never know.

You’d be surprised by the bark of Adonis. He has a very deep loud bark that I bet most would mistake for a pitbull or other large breed. Until he sees you, then he squeals with excitement.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Selfishclown wrote:</div>

same here. all wireless, batteries last 2 plus years. triggers on motion so not on all the time but you can peak in any time in the app. you can schedule wnen to turn on or off any time or day. I think we are going on close to 4 years on same batteries. our outdoor cams run on lithium but our indoor are plugged in……..all wireless. our dogs are our security system but its nice to check in and see how they are doing when left alone.

I’ve got 2 blink cameras ordered. Any operator/user suggestions?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Definitely leaning on getting Simply Safe for the inside and then it looks like I am going to have to do a lot of research on outdoor cameras that have no monitoring, but that I can monitor with the phone/PC and is motion activated. You guys are throwing a lot of names I have never heard of for those.

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

Costco has a home security sale going on right now. You can scoop up a ring system with some considerable savings.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

I would like to just point out the obvious…anything running on your wifi all a serious criminal needs to do is cut your internet line.

We have simplisafe, nest doorbell, and a couple nest cameras in the house pointing at the doors (more for watching the dogs). Also have a gun in the nightstand and a Pug and English Bulldog that will lick the criminal to death.

Pug, just some comments on cameras. Avoid the simplisafe camera. It is junk. We do pay the subscription with Nest because we tried the real-time/motion activated, but when there is motion by the time you get the notification and fire up the app it is too late. I hear/read reviews that the Ring cameras are really bad at real-time viewing. Been looking at one of these for up north with the solar panel to keep the battery charged.

My neighbor installs security systems. I don’t know if it is the same equipment Randy mentioned but the video quality blows away these do-it-yourself cameras.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

(more for watching the dogs).

That’s the only thing that interests me. The wife is driving this.

Quite frankly the neighborhood is very safe. We have a police station within 10 blocks. There is only one entrance and no cross streets.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

Simplisafe indoors and Nest camara outside has worked well for us. We live in a country development without the worlds fastest DSL as well.

Paisley, our puggle, will either lick the intruder to death or retreat further under our covers.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I would like to just point out the obvious…anything running on your wifi all a serious criminal needs to do is cut your internet line.

Not true for Ring.

Ring transfers instantly to the cell phone network if the home internet connection goes out. I’ve seen this happen a couple of times, you get a notification on your phone if your home internet goes down for any reason.

The Ring devices and cameras are connected directly to the in-home router, so taking down the connection to the internet doesn’t keep these devices from working.

Also, Ring has a battery backup if the power goes out. This would, however, take down the plugged-in cameras, but the motion and door/window detectors continue to function.

Would think some other brands have similar cell network backup technology.

Grouse

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>b-curtis wrote:</div>

Not true for Ring.

Ring transfers instantly to the cell phone network if the home internet connection goes out. I’ve seen this happen a couple of times, you get a notification on your phone if your home internet goes down for any reason.

The Ring devices and cameras are connected directly to the in-home router, so taking down the connection to the internet doesn’t keep these devices from working.

Also, Ring has a battery backup if the power goes out. This would, however, take down the plugged-in cameras, but the motion and door/window detectors continue to function.

Would think some other brands have similar cell network backup technology.

Grouse

Interesting. I didn’t know Ring would switch to cellular. Looks like Nest has the same option to subscribe to as part of their plan. Thanks for the info.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Simplysafe also uses cellular.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eyeguy507 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Selfishclown wrote:</div>

I’ve got 2 blink cameras ordered. Any operator/user suggestions?

Not really, you will just have to play around with the system/app and it’s super easy to set up. Customer service is top notch for any questions too.

You do want to set the hub in a centralized area to see all your cameras and that will require you moving them around to see if they are within reach. I wish the range was better but maybe its because our house is stucco?

There is a scheduling feature that is awesome. You can have any cameras only monitor during certain times.

We have 3 indoor cameras but I have 2 mounted outside, one on my porch and one under a carport watching my boat. The indoor one overlooks our living room so we can check on our dogs and that one is plugged in to AC power. If you do this you need to take out the batteries or it will use them for power.

Our hood is safe and so far the only intruders are flying insects setting them off. But all it takes is one time!

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Simplysafe also uses cellular.

correct it doesn’t use your wifi at all.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.