Hitch height

• Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Hey guys. Just figured out I need a 1.5” drop to account for the difference between my hitch and coupler on the trailer. I have a 2” drop currently. Is it really worth trying to find a 1.5” drop or just run the 2” and forget about it?

Coletrain27

Better to be a little tall on the hitch than low

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Vehicle will squat some with tongue weight + any added gear/passengers in vehicle. I aim for just high of level as said above

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Does it make a difference if its a relatively light trailer? Probably a little more than a 1,000lbs fully loaded.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I would say as long as you’re within about 1″ +/- you’ll be fine, just make sure you have the weight properly located in the trailer so you don’t get any sway when towing. I miscalculated the other day hauling some dock sections and had some sway going 65mph on the freeway, that will make you pucker quick! I pulled over and moved the weight a couple more feet forward and no more issues…

Onthewater

Is this a single axel since you said it’s a light trailer? If so the need for a level trailer is for having the correct load on each axel. The only thing leveling a single axel trailer does is help aerodynamics for gas mileage a little bit

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Is this a single axel since you said it’s a light trailer? If so the need for a level trailer is for having the correct load on each axel. The only thing leveling a single axel trailer does is help aerodynamics for gas mileage a little bit

You are right its a small single axle boat trailer.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

I’ve seen single axel trailers fishtailing on the freeway when the hitch is too low or too high.

Onthewater

I’ve seen single axel trailers fishtailing on the freeway when the hitch is too low or too high.

I’m sure you have but that had nothing to do with it. Trailer sway is from improper loading of the weight, not from hight of the hitch.

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

If the trailer is too low at the hitch and you have a trailer mounted spare,
    you are more susceptible to flat spot the spare if it drags over bumps.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Better too low than too high. If you have to slam on the brakes a trailer mounted too high can cause you to jacknife from the trailer pushing out the rear of the tow vehicle.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

i have an 8″ drop hitch for my Tundra and 5×8 utility trailer. the trailer is perfectly level but i tell ya nobody likes it when i back into their driveway and scrap the ground. doesnt even need to be all that big of an incline.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

i have an 8″ drop hitch for my Tundra and 5×8 utility trailer. the trailer is perfectly level but i tell ya nobody likes it when i back into their driveway and scrap the ground. doesnt even need to be all that big of an incline.

8 Inch is kinda a lot for a standard height 1/2 ton. I run a 6 and have not needed even close to the bottom one yet.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I will run the 2” and see how it pulls. Hitch height is 19” and the coupler is 17.5” ill stay a touch on the lower side then.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Wow how high do you have your Tundra jacked up?!?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Why would you run a 8 inch on that ? 5 is all you need. I have a 9 inch drop on my 2500. Why would any one be happy if you scrape there drive way. Scraping is a dead giveaway that your hitch is way to low

Coletrain27

Better too low than too high. If you have to slam on the brakes a trailer mounted too high can cause you to jacknife from the trailer pushing out the rear of the tow vehicle.

a trailer big enough to do that should have brakes on the trailer

Coletrain27

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>

Why would you run a 8 inch on that ? 5 is all you need. I have a 9 inch drop on my 2500. Why would any one be happy if you scrape there drive way. Scraping is a dead giveaway that your hitch is way to low

Lol if you’re scraping then it’s way too low. I only run a 5” adjustable and don’t even use the whole thing

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I run 7 inches of my 9 inch hitch. And that’s with a 3 inch lift in front and 1 inch in the rear. On a already tall 2500

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I just followed a YouTube video which said to select the proper hitch drop measure the distance between your hitch on your truck and the trailer hitch. Came out to 8″ and when the trailer is on the truck it’s straight as an arrow. But I think I will change it out and go with a smaller drop

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.