Historical level & rate of flow?

• Evan_peterson12
    Rosemount, MN

Any way to see this on pool 3 for July 2021? I would like to try and identify the conditions that I was catching walleye at be cause my spot lately only has shorts and thousandsssss of shad.

Evan_peterson12
    Rosemount, MN

Well tech support still an issue on this site. I was just trying to say thanks for the help with this info. I am a little confused now tho as I have always had a favorite rock to measure how high the river is, yet here when the river is about what I knew it to be in July, the gauges are reading significantly different?

Attachments:
    1. Capture2-1.jpg

2. Capture-1.jpg

water doc

Gage heights from two different gages can really only be compared if you know their respective gage zeros.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Look for the datem on any gauge that isn’t in “above sea level”.

Once you know the datem, (in sea level) it will make more sense…and more work. 10′ above datem of 655′ would be 665 feet above sea level.

Back when I was trying to compare the tail water of Dam #3 to the Red Wing gauge, I gave up and started to record both in my photos.

Evan_peterson12
    Rosemount, MN

Look for the datem on any gauge that isn’t in “above sea level”.

Once you know the datem, (in sea level) it will make more sense…and more work. 10′ above datem of 655′ would be 665 feet above sea level.

Back when I was trying to compare the tail water of Dam #3 to the Red Wing gauge, I gave up and started to record both in my photos.

Hey BK thanks for your replies. I really appreciate the explanations and experience you’ve shared because it has helped a young man learn.

My brain was trying to comprehend if the water was up to the same height on my favorite rock what else could be different about the area. As far as I can tell season, food in the river available, flow but think the river height if around the same on the rock would indicate that the water levels are consistent. I’m sure theirs lots of other things I could spam about… moon rise etc but as far as I can tell getting too scientific with fishing sometimes over does it.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Evan, one suggestion is to keep a spreadsheet of all your outings. I started doing that a few years ago and it has helped. With the conditions changing all the time I can refer back to similar conditions. I keep flow, level, weather conditions, date, time of day, location, presentations, notes, etc.

Has helped me a ton to try and pattern things.

Deuces

Water temps and seasons change alot of things Evan, even if the flow is similar.

You’re better of reading into seasonal patterns if you haven’t caught fish since July

Evan_peterson12
    Rosemount, MN

Water temps and seasons change alot of things Evan, even if the flow is similar.

You’re better of reading into seasonal patterns if you haven’t caught fish since July

Nope I have caught fish just not in the numbers or location I prefer.

Evan, one suggestion is to keep a spreadsheet of all your outings. I started doing that a few years ago and it has helped. With the conditions changing all the time I can refer back to similar conditions. I keep flow, level, weather conditions, date, time of day, location, presentations, notes, etc.

Has helped me a ton to try and pattern things.

Yeah I can understand your suggestion here but that is a full time job in itself. My apple photos has done a good job in recent years documenting the memorable ones. Maybe someday when the time is right I’ll learn how to catch em from a boat a little better.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

words of wisdom is to not fish memories on the river and even more pronounced from shore. i too go back to the same places where i had success but there are so many variables that you can’t assume you will repeat success. most of the time by the time you figure out where they are and what they want, it’s time to put the boat on the trailer. this time of year fish move into areas and they just keep re loading well into the winter months. my last trip to P4 was one i will not soon forget as it was probably the best one all year. good luck but its time to get the ice gear out for this guy!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.