Hideout Rod Holder

• scmelik
    South Dakota

I finally broke down after two years of wanting one and bought a Hideout after my dad offered me a price on my current shack that I couldn’t refuse. One thing I would like to do with this shack that I always said I wanted to do with my other shacks is to put a rod holder in there somehow. I like to always have a few presentations ready to go at a moments notice but I hate dropping rods in the bottom of the tub especially when a lot of my rods are more expensive than my open water rods. Over the past few years I have had to put my rods back in my box every time I moved or set them in the shack hoping the auger didn’t drop on them or something else didn’t shift and break them.

Has anyone fashioned something that will hold your rods ready and keeps them out of the way for flipping the shack open and closed and keeps them at easy reach?

gonehunting

Would something like this mounted in the tub work?

Attachments:
    1. 423866_ts.jpg

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

Best thing I think I have ever seen that would work good is to 2in PVC pipes mounted at a slight downward angle stacked with slots drilled out for the reel stem so when your ready to run to the next spot you just slide your rods in them and go!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Best thing I think I have ever seen that would work good is to 2in PVC pipes mounted at a slight downward angle stacked with slots drilled out for the reel stem so when your ready to run to the next spot you just slide your rods in them and go!

1 1/4″ works perfectly for open water rods, nice and snug. Even bigger trolling and cat rods fit. $5 for a 10′ section, winner winner chicken dinner.

Would think ice rods may be even smaller. Don’t want em clunking around in the holder imo.

Attachments:
    1. 24509.jpeg

2. 24507.jpeg

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

nhamm I forgot to mention that the rod goes down in the pipe tip first to protect them so like 36-40in pipes with the notch out for the reel to lock into and point them down to the back of the sled at a slight angle to hold them in even better

Mark Wilson

In my Clam Scout, I have the Clam rod holder mounted to a cutting board on my left hand side. I’m thinking about adding one to the other side (might never need to retie, if I can carry 8 rods). It works pretty good, but I do sometime bump the most forward rod while fishing. I needed to mount them at an angle (pointing inside of the shack) to be able to open/close without the fabric contacting the rod tips. I considered using the PVC as mentioned above (tip inside the PVC), but I use 30” rods and would not be able to remove them from the holder with the top up.

Attachments:
    1. rodholder.jpg

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Aw, really like that idea. Gonna have to make some up, thanks woot

scmelik
    South Dakota

In my Clam Scout, I have the Clam rod holder mounted to a cutting board on my left hand side. I’m thinking about adding one to the other side (might never need to retie, if I can carry 8 rods). It works pretty good, but I do sometime bump the most forward rod while fishing. I needed to mount them at an angle (pointing inside of the shack) to be able to open/close without the fabric contacting the rod tips. I considered using the PVC as mentioned above (tip inside the PVC), but I use 30” rods and would not be able to remove them from the holder with the top

Thanks mark that is the kind of system I am wondering about. Do you have anymore pictures of that I’d love to see more and get a few more ideas running around in my head.

Mark Wilson

LOL, more picture of my flip-over?….might as well as a new grandmother if she has any baby pictures!

These are a couple of years old, and I now have glow tape on the rod holders (easier to find them in low light conditions). The only challenge was to get the angle right….far enough in to avoid the fabric during set-up. The cutting board helps to get the correct angle, and also keeps the fabric off the rods when completely open.

Attachments:
    1. RH3.jpg

2. RH2.jpg

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I have a rain gutter installed in my 1-man flip over. All rods go in that unless it is in use. Fill protection and easy access… Low cost.

scmelik
    South Dakota

LOL, more picture of my flip-over?….might as well as a new grandmother if she has any baby pictures!

These are a couple of years old, and I now have glow tape on the rod holders (easier to find them in low light conditions). The only challenge was to get the angle right….far enough in to avoid the fabric during set-up. The cutting board helps to get the correct angle, and also keeps the fabric off the rods when completely open.

Thanks Mark. Those pictures give me a few ideas that I might play around with once I get a chance to get it out of the box and really sit and look at it.

brian schultz
    Minot, ND

Made these out of 1 1/2 pvc. It slides in just like one in a boat. I have not used it yep but I think it will work good to protect my rods and store them when traveling.

Attachments:
    1. 42AD58D2-3E64-4F71-B2D8-807391FD773B.jpeg

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I have a rain gutter installed in my 1-ma

When “in use”, is it what I think it’s for applause

brian schultz
    Minot, ND

Also for a dead stick I used a small 1” rammount. It is very adjustable but cost about 25 for parts though amazon.

Attachments:
    1. 676C7892-23DA-4E9E-ABC6-E55624E04B91.jpeg

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.