Help with a Garmin 73SV Install

• Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

Guys – I have a weird setup on my Alumacraft Fisherman as it looks like the current Humminbird 197c is hooked up to the mess of wires under the console and that hits the starting battery. I don’t like the fact that someone was lazy and hooked it to a mission critical battery so I would like to move my new Garmin 73SV to the front trolling motor battery as I will likely not use it much at all.

My question is this, other than an uglier install going to the bow and not being well hidden, is there anything else I need to worry about? Do I need more than an inline fuse if they share that front 24 Size battery?

If I do I guess I could always just disconnect my MinnKota and plug my Garmin in direct. Thanks for the help!

mojogunter

It is not recommended sharing a battery with a locator and trolling motor.

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

I guess the easy way would just to be to bite the bullet and put another 24 series under the steering column and wire it there.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Hook it directly to the starting battery with an inline fuse.

riverruns
    Inactive

Doug, if you don’t think you’ll need the 73sv let me know. I have one on the back I installed this year and wouldn’t mind one on the front. Thanks. Shawn

Tyler Kalishek
    Cedar Falls, IA

Every bass boat I’ve ever owned had the electronics hooked to the cranking battery.

Tyler Kalishek
    Cedar Falls, IA

I guess I’m not sure how much power that Garmin draws but I can run a Lowrance LMS 332, Humminbird 678, and a Hummingbird 899 all day with my size 27 cranking battery and never have a problem cranking the big engine

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

Looks like my calculation based on wattage isnit only draws .59ah. I added another size 27 battery for it and put it in a box under my side console.

I have tried to balance weight in the past and don’t want to have to sacrifice my sonar usage

This way each item has its own source

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Don’t you feel that’s overkill to an already underpowered boat?

I’d at least try out hooking up to the TM battery first. Not all get funky, my helix 5 was manageable enough hooked up to a 31 on last boat.

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

Nick – Part of me does, but in theory a 600lb boat with all of us and the gear will be around 20mph. I guess compared to my old light T14V that maxed out at 15mph I won’t feel too slow but I long term will be planning on a 40hp for sure.

For my trip to Canada the biggest thing I don’t want to risk is downtime. Greed for Speed will come soon I’m sure

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Far from a speed demon myself, just concerned for planing out and efficiency.

Taking forever to get up on plane found to be quite annoying and at times dangerous, that nose way high can be a PIA especially with a guy up front to look around. Asking someone or kids to move up to the front, or middle or back just to plane out sucks as well. Couple in fact if you have to be WOT going everywhere and anywhere bc weight the gas consumption will go down partially defeating the purpose of nice 4 stroke in the first place.

Just adding in what I’ve experienced man, hope nothing but the best for you and your rig. Call it my 2 cents. wave toast

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.