Help me buy a new muzzle loader

• lhprop1
    Eagan

I’d like to start hunting the muzzle loader season next year. The only problem is that I know very little about them. I know that you stick the shooty stuff in one end and then make it go bang one time. (I actually know more than that, but just pretend I’m a dummy)

What are some features that I should make sure my new smoke pole has? Any features to stay away from? Any certain brands that are better than others?

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

I shoot a Thompson and could not be more happy with it.

https://www.tcarms.com/firearms/muzzleloaders/triumph-bone-collector

For me, I looked for an accurate weapon that cleans easy and has an easy going recoil. My Bone Collector does all that and more. I also wanted something durable and could withstand some moisture without having too many rusting issues.

I would google around and get the skinny from guys that shoot a lot of different brands and narrow down your search. Then pick from any number of quality weapons based on what you find valuable for your style of hunting.

I’d be happy sometime warmer, to get out to the range with you and let you shoot mine for reference.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

I love my T/C Omegas but I would argue it is not the easiest one out there to clean and deal with. Some of the newer models have the “easy/ no tool removeable” breech plug (I do not have any 1st hand experience to know if that actually works as advertised) and the action opening up more like Triumph or a break-barrel shotgun that make them much easier to clean. Loading is the same and I have never been disappointed with the accuracy of my T/C’s (I have both .45 and .50 calibers).

I think they are fun to shoot and very accurate. You have so many options with bullets and loads and loose versus pellet powders that there is all kinds of fun to be had.

Good luck with your decision.
    Dave

castle-rock-clown

I love my Thompson Center also. It’s a 20 year old cap lock Renegade with a Green Mountain 54 Cal barrel and peep sight. 105 grains FF black powder under a 385 grain Hornady Great Plains lead conical bullet. Shoots 3″ groups at 100 yards off a bench.

abster71
    crawford county WI

I have a TC pro hunter and love it. If I had the option back then I would have bought the TC FX it’s a muzzleloader only. if your state allows scopes I wouldn’t put anything on it other than leupold ultimate slam muzzleloader scope, simply put it’s awesome.

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Tc encore shooter here.

Stainless gun is all that matters imo. Black powder is so corrosive if you dont take care of them they will rust fast.

After the stainless option, you can start getting into the other upgrades you would like. Different stocks, trigger, and sights.

Get out and get your hands over all the different models and find what one fit bests. If you find one that fits and stainless isnt in the budget, it wouldn’t be a deal breaker, just remember to keep them clean.

Ive always used cleaning supplies that are meant for muzzleloaders, ive heard guys that have used the same cleaning stuff from their centerfire rifles and havent had any misfires. I didnt want to take the chance so I bought all muzzleloading specific cleaning supplies.

Make sure to keep your breech plug well lubed up with anti seize. Your more then welcome to come shoot my encore if you want to get some range time in.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

I guess the biggest question is are you looking for a muzzleloader to have the primitive hunt experience with (flint or cap lock), or one so you can have a legal single shot rifle in shotgun zones (modern in line style)?

Assuming your looking for the latter, last winter I bought a CVA Accura MR and played around with it over the summer some and used it for about half the WI rifle season (didn’t matter what I took out as I didn’t see squat). Easy to load, sharp trigger, more kick than my TC cap lock but still no where near my 20 ga. shotgun or .270 rifle, accurate (I’ve only shot it up to 75 yards so far though). Its actually a bigger pain to clean than my cap lock (more parts), but the removable breech (that does come out by hand turning) makes it easier to get into the nooks and cranny’s. I got some foaming bore cleaner and that made cleaning a lot easier.

The gun itself is a composite stock with some rubber grip pads on the pistol grip and forearm which give a really firm hold to the gun. Barrel is stainless with some kind of weather shield coating, haven’t had it long enough and shot and cleaned it enough to have a feel on the coatings durability.

Biggest thing with muzzle loaders, clean clean clean, and do it right after shooting. Black powder is really corrosive stuff. Also, don’t feel like you need to max out the load for every bullet style you try. I’ve played around with many different bullets between my two muzzleloaders and just about every one of them the max charge is too much in my opinion and throws off your accuracy (this is loose powder, never tried pellets). Backed it down in 10 gr increments till the patterns straightened out and I’ve gotten much better accuracy and save on powder (less fouling in the barrel too). In most cases I’m only backing off 10 or 20 gr to get there, so not really loosing that much speed anyway. I don’t do much long range stuff so I can’t speak to the performance affect out at 150+ yards, but I do know a 50 cal. round ball with only 50gr of powder behind it will make a complete pass through at 40 yards. Put 70 gr. behind that same bullet and your pattern is all over the map (this in a TC hawken).

asch
    Eastern Iowa

I have a TC triumph. You want a gun with a removable breech plug so that you can unload without shooting the gun. Then you don’t have to clean it every time you load it. With 3 50 grain pellets and the Thompson hollow points I can shoot a 6″ pattern at 200 yds.

lhprop1
    Eagan

Thanks for the replies.

What is the price range on the TC models? Sorry to be a gomer, but all firearm sites are blocked here.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

The TC Omega, that I have and would be hard pressed to trade for any other muzzleloader runs around $450, the TC triumph bone collector my bro just bought runs about $650 and is a really nice looking and feeling gun

lhprop1
    Eagan

Ouch! I was looking for something in the $250-300 range. Are there any decent options in that price range?

deertracker

CVA makes one in that range thats decent. Cant remember the model, wolf maybe? They sell it at Fleet.
    DT

riverruns
    Inactive

I got a CVA Accura at Gander Mountain last year. SS and camo with thumb hole grip. $390. You can dicker at the stores and get your best deal. It does work. This gun came with the scope and there is nothing wrong with it. Only issue was it has not rifle sights. So taking off the scope is not an option. Great gun in my opinion.

caincando1
    Dodge Center, MN/Alma,WI

Ouch! I was looking for something in the $250-300 range. Are there any decent options in that price range?

You can get a TC Impact in that price range. We have 8 TC’s from old caps to pro hunters. The Impact isn’t as comply to shoot as a pro hunter. But it’s small and simple and easy to use. Plus it’s a tack driver. I hunt with one and could go buy a fancier one but can’t find a reason to. They are a handy, good shooting little gun.

lhprop1
    Eagan

I appreciate the offer, but it’s a little out of my price range right now. I’m looking to keep it at $300 or less. I’m going to look into the Impact.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.