Helix Ice Reviews

• outdoorsmn

Considering purchasing a Helix ICE 5 GPS combo as a backup to Marcum LX6 and for the mapping capabilities.

I currently have a Helix 7 for my boat, I bought an extra power cord so I can use it for mapping on the ice but it’s just bulky and inconvenient. Additionally, I’d like an extra flasher if my wife or someone wants to tag along that doesn’t have a flasher.

I was originally leaning towards buying a LX7 or another LX6, but I think I’d like the mapping capabilities in a smaller more convenient setup than my current Helix 7 screen laying on my lap. I’ve always loved my open water Helix units.

How do people like the Helix ICE units? Any interference problems? I see there is a G2 for the ICE 5 and G3 for the ICE 7. Anyone know why there is no G3 for the ICE 5?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Considering purchasing a Helix ICE 5 GPS combo as a backup to Marcum LX6 and for the mapping capabilities.

I currently have a Helix 7 for my boat, I bought an extra power cord so I can use it for mapping on the ice but it’s just bulky and inconvenient. Additionally, I’d like an extra flasher if my wife or someone wants to tag along that doesn’t have a flasher.

I was originally leaning towards buying a LX7 or another LX6, but I think I’d like the mapping capabilities in a smaller more convenient setup than my current Helix 7 screen laying on my lap. I’ve always loved my open water Helix units.

How do people like the Helix ICE units? Any interference problems? I see there is a G2 for the ICE 5 and G3 for the ICE 7. Anyone know why there is no G3 for the ICE 5?

I use the 7 for mapping and even though I’ve had it for several years I have never used it on the ice. I have, however been using the ice ducer in open water for crappies and really like it. Just always used the LX6 on hard water but may give the Helix a try this winter.

Cameron white

Lots of folks up here run them in Manitoba. Good units. Can be battery monsters though. An amped outdoors battery will take care of that. Of all the batteries I’ve imported into Canada, 90 plus percent were for helix owners.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Make a decent shuttle out of a vexilar pro pack for your helix 7 and be done with it. Why is it in your lap?

outdoorsmn

Lots of folks up here run them in Manitoba. Good units. Can be battery monsters though. An amped outdoors battery will take care of that. Of all the batteries I’ve imported into Canada, 90 plus percent were for helix owners.

Do they suck battery because the GPS is always on? Is there an option to turn the GPS off?

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

The GPS may use some of the battery but the big culprit is the screen brightness.
    Turn the screen brightness down to 5 or so and it will run a lot longer. Press and release the power button to adjust it.

Karry Kyllo

The GPS may use some of the battery but the big culprit is the screen brightness.
    Turn the screen brightness down to 5 or so and it will run a lot longer. Press and release the power button to adjust it.

You’re completely correct. I use a Helix 7 on the ice(and in my boat) and turning down screen brightness makes a huge difference. Really nice unit for ice fishing as well as open water.

Ice Cap

I concur. A Amped Outdoors 12ah lithium and turning down screen brightness is the answer to battery issues. Humminbird also makes a 12V cig adapter to run the unit if you are in a hard house or have access to a 12V cig lighter output.

I ran my Helix for over 2 days of fishing without charging just to see what I’d get out of it. It finally gave out late in the third day. I don’t know how a Helix Ice 7 in the soft case can be any bulkier than a LX6.

For my back up I have the Marcum Showdown. I figure if someone comes with me that does not have a flasher of some kind they are probably rookies. The Showdown is the easiest of them all to use and understand.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I tried to get another 12v cig adaptor from hummingbird last summer and they told me they were discontinued.

Karry Kyllo

I tried to get another 12v cig adaptor from hummingbird last summer and they told me they were discontinued.

It’s really easy to make one too.

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

I just purchased the Helix 7 and have run it twice now. The battery thing is real but I typically bring my Vexilar and fish with that and use the Helix for mapping and a little fishing. I like the Helix over the vex in some ways in that it is quiet and I do enjoy doing the down view instead of traditional flasher sometimes.

I have fished with a Helix 5 and now the 7 and prefer the larger screen. Biggest benefit of the unit thought is all year use. Sounds like your purchasing for the same reasons I did and I am happy with the purchase.

I do have my back light turned down to I think 4 also which does help.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

I’ve had terrible interference with my helix 5 if anyone nearby has a marcum. The gen one was impossible to be by any other units . The gen two is better but I still have a hard time tuning out other units. The deeper you are it seems to get worse.

Ice Cap

I’ve had terrible interference with my helix 5 if anyone nearby has a marcum. The gen one was impossible to be by any other units . The gen two is better but I still have a hard time tuning out other units. The deeper you are it seems to get worse.

I concur with this as well. My first gen Helix 7 would not tolerate most other flashers in the same house. A Vex 8 drove it bonkers unless they had their gain set to virtually zero. Marcum’s not quite as bad but still a problem. I skipped over the gen 2 and now have a gen 3. Crystal clear. I fished within feet of a Vex 28 last weekend and no problem.

EPG I hope they didn’t discontinue them. The web site still shows them but says sold out. I will do a search if I come up with somebody stocking them I will post a link.

Mike Lehmann

Mine lags terribly when hole hopping and freezes for over 5 seconds after I put the transducer in the hole… ice helix 7 g3…no updates for it yet per humminbird .

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

My Gen 2 lags on the dial/flasher view but on the 2d it’s dead on. Maybe try switching over to that view.

Does anyone know if there is any long term damage done by exposing these units to extreme cold? I just started thinking about it this year and haven’t wanted to bring it out because it’s one of the units I use on my boat as well.

outdoorsmn

Thanks everyone for the reviews.

I have heard the interference issues before. I was hoping the Helix 5 Gen 2 fixed this issue. I’m still confused why there is a G3 Helix ICE 7 and only a G2 Helix ICE 5?

I was planning on purchasing the Helix ICE 5 G2 but I’m still concerned about the interference as the finder will mostly be used around other Marcum’s. The dilemma continues…

bpholl
    North Metro, MN

I decided to convert my Helix 10 from the front of my boat this year. I got the 1521 ducer, 16ah amped and mounted it up on a genz box. Its pretty big, but I used it last weekend and it worked great! I still brought my LX5i out for hole hopping around right away, but once i set up the hub i used the Helix.

It is really cool to have the history alongside the flasher mode and the zoom worked well! I didnt notice any lag. I fished alongside a Lx7 and was able to use the IR feature to clean up the Helix really nice.

Attachments:
    1. helix-1.jpg

B-man

That’s sweet bpholl toast

My buddy rigged up his Helix 10 in his Ice Castle to run off his house battery via a cigarette socket last year. It’s mounted on a ram ball, the same thing he uses in the boat.

What version of software are you running? His doesn’t have flasher mode, I’m guessing an update would solve that.

bpholl
    North Metro, MN

Thanks! Will be nice to have a 2nd unit for when the wife or a buddy comes out who isnt geared up.

Software version is 2.110. i think it came out this past August and puts ice mode on the 8,9 and 10 Helix models.

B-man

10-4 brother, I’ll let him know, thanks waytogo

Joe K

Disclaimer, my experience is limited with ice fishing finders but I’m really liking my helix 7 ice setup. Settings are key on getting it working right. Brightness is the number 1 impact to battery issue. I love being able to see both the flasher and side scroll split screen. I also like being able to use waypoints I marked during open water for hard season.

Side note, I’m going to snag a backup battery. Does anyone have a suggestion on what to buy? I can start a new thread too but figured this could help OP too.

B-man

Disclaimer, my experience is limited with <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>ice fishing finders but I’m really liking my helix 7 ice setup. Settings are key on getting it working right. Brightness is the number 1 impact to battery issue. I love being able to see both the flasher and side scroll split screen. I also like being able to use waypoints I marked during open water for hard season.

Side note, I’m going to snag a backup battery. Does anyone have a suggestion on what to buy? I can start a new thread too but figured this could help OP too.

Hands down an Amped Outdoors 12ah waytogo

Same physical size as a standard flasher batter, more run time, and half the weight. WIN, WIN, WIN

Great company, great product, great price and I hear great customer service if ever needed.

404 ERROR
    MN

I’ve been really debating upgrading my G1 5 to a G3 7 because the reports of lag issues seem to be much better on the G3. The G1 Helix units work great on a boat, but they have a really bad delay on both flasher and standard mode. Enough that I don’t even use it as a fish finder anymore, just GPS.

fishingadam54

Just stared using them last winter and love it. Bottom separation is much clearer then a flasher witch is game changing for walleye fisherman. Much more appealing to stare at all day than a flasher. I wouldn’t waste the money on a the Ice pack Huminbird sells… it’s kind of expensive and it doesn’t include a battery. Buddy built me a power box with led lights and USB chargers and Ram Mount for less and they hold a larger 12 amp battery compared to the normal 7 amp. This solves some of the power issues along with using the right setting mentioned above. So far so good for me you won’t catch me using another flasher. If your worried about power issues go with a 5″…It’s all you need in my opinion

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I’ve had zero lag with my 7″ G2, even in the coldest temps. I’m extremely happy with it.

The unit is battery hog though, even with the screen dimmed. With a 7″, adding a lithium battery (and charger) is mandatory. I’d heard the 5″ is a little easier on the battery.

With the lithium, you’ll get the benefit of reduced weight, so it’ll be the lightest graph you’ve likely ever used too. I didn’t expect to enjoy the weight difference as much as I do.

iTinker

Honestly, I’d do a Garmin echomap 73cv.

SW Eyes

I love mine. I’ve expressed this plenty around here, but some reasons why:

-I autochart some lakes and drop waypoints during open water during leagues/tournaments/casual fishing. It’s taken my ice fishing to another level. Autochart on some small obscure lakes has me dialed in on spots very few people, if any, know about. That alone is worth its weight in gold.

-I love the 2D Sonar. Really nice having the history available (cadence when the fish approached and bit or spooked off, etc). I think it provides better info, but I also find it more fun to watch as well than the standard ring.

-split screens are great. You can have flasher/sonar on one, GPS/contours on another. Really nice feature, don’t have to toggle or carry multiple electronics, switch cards around, etc when out gridding/searching. Makes it way more convenient (no more forgetting cards in desk drawers, leaving a gps unit on the workbench, gps out of batteries, etc).

The best part (this can be had in many other new devices as well) is the absence of the constant “hum” that you get with the older motorized Marcum/Vexilar units. I fished with a guy last night with a bird 55 with the motor, and my God that’s annoying after getting used to not hearing it.

I’ve had no problem with battery life. As mentioned above, cut down screen brightness. I’ve actually found I get more batter life out of my bird than my Marcum (which is now a “backup” that never gets used).

There’s a lot of gadgetry out there that isn’t worth a damn. But, I’ll say this is the purchase I’m most happy with (2 way tie with my striker suit). I can say it has helped me catch more fish. I can’t say that about fancy shelters, custom rods, boxes of fancy lures etc. At the price point, there is no comparison, IMO. If you can afford $3k to drop on the newest Garmin unit, I’m sure they’re wonderful. But, I’ll take my unit for around $500 every time. Nothing better in that price range.

Time will tell on the durability. I use it heavily year round. Thus far, after 2-3 seasons of banging around its held up very well. Just had it out last night, and it’s still operates as well as the day I bought it.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.