Helix 7 vs LX 7

• Doug M
    SE SD

For those that have run both, besides GPS and mapping on the helix, are there other areas the helix is better than the Marcum lx? Any areas the lx is better?

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

I just mounted my helix 9 to a lithium shuttle because my LX7 needs to go in…for the third time

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I just mounted my helix 9 to a lithium shuttle because my LX7 needs to go in…for the third time

I was at my 3rd time as well. Thats when I sold it and went back to the lx5

eyeguy507
    SE MN

bird is the word…..my ice 55 ran mint for 7 years, my Helix 7 has been real impressive for 3 years after a software update. I wouldn’t trade my Helix 7 shuttle for a Garmin livescope.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

bird is the word…..my ice 55 ran mint for 7 years, my Helix 7 has been real impressive for 3 years after a software update. I wouldn’t trade my Helix 7 shuttle for a Garmin livescope.

I run a marcum lx5, 3 and a garmin. All great units. The lx 6 and 7 were less then desired

Blair

I owned both until just recently.

I kept the Helix 7 and sold the LX7 because I prefer a faster scroll speed and I had trouble seeing the screen on the LX7 when not in the ice hut and fishing outside.

Matthew Sandys

Not to jack this but how is the delay on the G3 birds? Is there any like in the past?

brewerybuilder

I see 0 lag in my gen 3. I was actually trying to find some yesterday and no matter what screen I was on…0 lag.

futurepoorperson

Yeah I owned a Lx7 in the past, it was a great unit for its time. Problem is Marcum has fallen on there face by not keeping up with other brands, & being innovative.

I also own a Helix 7, it’s a nice unit.
    But I’m still learning how to navigate through all the layers.
    As far as lag time, start up takes a bit of time & hole hoping, my unit takes 10-15 seconds for it to read new depths.

All in all the Helix is a better unit, crisp display, has same menu options as the Lx7 , & the mapping capabilities are nice to have.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Zero lag too but it does take 10 seconds to adjust depth on initial drop whereas my 55 was usually instant. Oh well I guess I need to complain about something.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I noticed there was lag on my G2N 7 when I first started using it 2 years ago on the ice with the flasher mode only. However after a couple updates and turning A scope on I don’t have any noticeable lag. After you get it dialed in, it’s one hell of an ice fishing machine.

inskom

I own both a Helix 7 and a Marcum LX9. 9 times out of 10 I grab the Helix before the Marcum. Most of the time the only reason I grab the Marcum is for the underwater camera, which the LX7 doesn’t have. The marcum is an expensive backup unit 90% of the time. The maps and GPS on the Humminbird are a big reason, but I also like the menu layout and sonar better on the Humminbird.

rjohnson8404

There is zero chance I would ever run a marcum again. Tried and tried several times. I would opt for a vexilar fl-8 over any current Marcum. I currently run the Helix 7 gen 2 and have zero lag issues. I am not saying Marcum’s are trash I just had a bad experiences: bad transducer, hated the color Pallet, interference issues, brand new out of the box head unit not turning on and wasn’t a battery issues straight to marcum for warranty. Just frustration and won’t ever go back to their products. Like I said might be a great product for many but just won’t hype them as I had too many issues that left a bad taste in my mouth.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I have a Helix 5 and 7 along with 2 LX6’s. No issues with either.
    But if I had to choose from the Helix 7 GPS ice and the Marcum MX-7 GPS ice.
    I’d take the Bird only because I know nothing of Marcums mapping/GPS and I love Hummingbirds mapping/GPS.

Doug M
    SE SD

If you were hitting the ice and didn’t need gps/mapping, which one would you take with you?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Eelpoutguy wrote:</div>

If you were hitting the ice and didn’t need gps/mapping, which one would you take with you?

For me, the LX6 no question about it.

CC

My Marcum has seen the shop 5-6 times in the past 2 years. I’m done with it they can’t see to fix it. My bird has been running flawlessly for years. So Helix 7 would be my next unit.

Doug M
    SE SD

For me, the LX6 no question about it.

This is what I was wondering. Thanks.

Loren I Duerr

I have lx7 about 6 yrs old and new helix 7 g3n on lithium shuttle lx7 hard to see outside but with updates works ok. went to helix 7 to use my auto charts great feature. wish they had 2 chip slots. Seems to take a long time to reset depth when hole hopping and sometimes it will not find bottom. very frustrating. And today fishing a 32′ rock hump 150′ from 2 other fishermen on another rock hump. The interference was so bad did not matter what ir setting could not clear it up. finally had to move another 50′ away. Very disappointing.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.