Helix 7 Chirp SI GPS G2 scroll speed- repost from ice fishing forum

• KPE
    River Falls, WI

Hello Hbird experts, I’m reposting my problem to the correct forum.

Hello everyone. Instead of describing with a wall of text, could someone please simply look at this video and help me understand what is going on here?

Disclaimer- I do not run a youtube channel for money, as you can see this is the only video I’ve ever uploaded. Just looking for some help here. Humminbird took my unit back and sent it back to me with a letter stating there is nothing wrong with it. Everyone who has seen it perform in person disagrees. It is very frustrating having invested all of this money into Johnson outdoors only to have a piece of tech that rivals an Atari in scroll speed. I am ready to cut my losses, sell the unit at a loss, and go to Garmin at this point.

Couple additional bits of info: the two units in the video are identical in every way. Swapping batteries did not help. Swapping transducers did not help. Operating on water does not change anything- the video here was taken with both units having the exact same settings all the way through. Both units in the video are on scroll speed ultra and in simulation mode. And finally- this started happening immediately following a software update pushed to me by humminbird (was having trouble getting Navionics to load from the map card, they made me update before they would offer any assistance).

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Maybe this is expected performance? Any assistance or advice is very much appreciated. Johnson outdoors has been completely unwilling to discuss further after sending the unit back once. They say it works fine. Why are the two units so different?

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I do not have a 7 can you make the right window active and then adjust scroll speed? My Helix`s work that way.

Might try and download the new software again and reload it maybe something got crossed in the process. Did you follow Hbirds instructions on how to update your unit?

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Hi Tom, yes the scroll speed is set to ultra already. What results is you cannot “follow” your jig or the fish. They appear, and then if you jig up, it re-appears higher. there is no “live” data. It’s tough to describe, I will get out on ice this weekend and take another video while jigging.

Humminbird rep walked through update on the phone with me and confirmed it was done correctly. As mentioned they refused to help with the navionics chip until I performed the update. While the nav chip worked, this began happening.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Unit functioned last weekend on Mille Lacs. We will see what happens with further use. I’m still wary as it did not work, very distinctly, for the last few months

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.