Helix 7 Bottom fluctuates

• Justin Busse

Hi there. I have a new to me Helix 7 ice kit and have recently just tried it for the first time today. I noticed that when I initially had the lower range set to auto and the bottom was fluctuating a lot, like way too much to be ok with. I then decided to try setting the bottom to 10ft as I was only fishing in 8. This did cut out a lot of this fluctuation, but would still bounce the odd time here and there but was livable but not favourable. I also had a Marcum MX7 along and when it was on auto depth it fluctuated the bottom a few times but not enough to really make me care about it, when I switched it to manual depth it never fluctuated once after that. I have read tons on the Helix fluctuation when in Auto lower range mode but supposedly setting it to manual takes care of it. Should this be something a guy should have to live with? I recently updated to the most up to date software as well.

mojo

Try lowering your sensitivity setting a bit. I just use the manual setting for depth, and adjust as necessary.

Justin Busse

If I run it any less I don’t see my hook.

TOM

With these open water ice units its best to set it on manual mode from my experience at least.

Whateverbites

set the depth manually and get comfortable adjusting it as you move around.

Deuces

Describe bottom fluctuating. The digital depth readout is changing? The sonar return fluctuates?

Just to clarify what is happening wave

Justin Busse

I run with the flasher and 2d both on the screen. I was fishing in exactly 9’ of water. I noticed that the reading in the center of the flasher would flip to 10.5 and the bottom would move on the flasher circle and then move back when it flipped back to 9ft. On the 2d side, the bottom would jump up a foot and then back down. Really irritating. One person mentioned that I might have been on a little ledge and the cone was reading the drop. And it was causing the fluctuation. I had an ice 55 before and it never acted like that while fishing a slope.

Jason

I typically just run the zoom mode and isolate the water depth that you want to view. That way your not on the edge of your “automatic” depth ranges. You can also try the bottom lock feature.

Justin Busse

Yes if you read my initial post I mention that I switched it to manual and it still jumps occasionally. Was just trying to find out if this is normal or not. I’m wondering if the 9’ depth wasn’t throwing it off, maybe it needs deeper water.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Not sure if it’s the case here, but weeds can cause this.

Justin Busse

Interesting. Ok. Well once I took it off Auto lower range it got waaayy better. Strangler enough it did still fluctuate once and awhile even on manual lower range. I had it set to 11’ and I was fishing in 9’ of water. I’m heading for Lake trout this weekend and will be fishing in 60-80’ with no chance of weeds. Will report back with findings. One thing to mention, I really like the A-Scope setting. Super cool.

Justin Busse

Just a follow up. I think my problem was the 9’ of water I was in and having the lower range set to auto. When I used it in deeper water I had no issue. Works great. Thanks for all the help.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Helix units seem to have some issues in shallower water even during the open water season. Takes some monkeying with the settings to get it dialed in. But as the others mentioned don’t run it in auto and you should be fine.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

i will second to turn the lower range to manual depth. perhaps if you are getting soft returns, it is weeds or fish belly crawling into your range? make sure you are running the newest software

BackwaterICE

manually set your max depth in the sonar menu and the upper/lower limits in the quick menu

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.