Helix 5 vs Vexilar 28

• Dr. Pomoxis

This may seem like a really dumb comparison to many. Just asking for opinions on the 2 that I may have not have thought of. I have been a navionics app and vex FL-18 guy for years. I am in the market for a new ice fishing system next year. Thoughts on the above 2? I have lowrance in my boat, so getting a hbird for year round use isn’t that practical. I lean toward the vexilar, because I’ve always used them. I don’t know how much I’d try to balance the humminbird on my lap to use the lakemaster chart. Does anyone feel like the hbird sonar is way superior to the vexilar? (yes I know theres no “sonar” on a vexilar, compared to a humminbird) Thanks guys.

Coletrain27

I have a helix 7 for ice fishing only and 95% of the time I only use the flasher screen so Vexilar would be my choice if I bought another. The lakemaster chips are nice but for the type of fishing I do on big lakes (red and lotw) I never use the maps.

Another thing to consider is if you get a helix you might as well get a lithium battery and charger and if you want a lakemaster chip then that’s another $225 bucks for that stuff.

I know you said helix 5 but if your gonna go helix I would get the 7. My buddy has a helix 5 and the screen looks tiny compared to my 7.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

I have a helix 7 for <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>ice fishing only and 95% of the time I only use the flasher screen so Vexilar would be my choice if I bought another. The lakemaster chips are nice but for the type of fishing I do on big lakes (red and lotw) I never use the maps

X2 I have two helix 5 set up for ice fishing for my daughter and myself. 97% of the time there on flasher.

Matthew Sandys

Look at what you want to do with it and decide. Should buy on what fits your needs. Humminbrid is complex but has mapping. Vex is simple and just flat out works.
    I would love to get a helix 7 for the mapping I would use it both summer and winter. I have to 28s and I use them hard and they just keep going. I really like the screen of 28 over 18.

Ripjiggen

If you don’t care about upgrading anything in the future and just want a simple reliable flasher I say get the vex and don’t look back.

Gary

I thought vex was outdated technology so I switched to helix. I thought I’d be a big shot this year as well and buy a livescope.

I’m semi-retired this year so I fish one week, consult the other and so on.

So I learned some new things in my semi-retirement.

First, when I fish inside an ice shack or ice castle and my friend/son in law has a vexilar it drowns out a helix’s signal like f you I’m a vexilar. And yes I know how to push the buttons for Interference. The vex’s never have an issue with the helix interfering with them.

Secondly, I use my phone for lake maps when I’m walking or driving the Silverado on the ice (90%) of time. The helix and maps look cool on my wheeler but are not necessary. Maps are easier on my phone.

Lastly, my remarks below are why I’m going back to vexilar next year.

I set-up both livescope and helix side by side. I fish rocky areas for walleye this year way more then ever. What is necessary in a flasher is being able to mark fish.

There are dead zones with livescope when fishing on rocks. Sometimes 6 inches and I’ve seen 2 feet plus. Anyone who says otherwise is FOS.

So my friends/son-in-law who have vex’s can mark fish in rocks that livescope can’t see. Like I can see the Mark on the vex and nothing on the livescope. And the vex is better at marking fish in rocks then a helix is.

So I’m getting a FL28 and going back to vexilar next year.

If I absolutely had to CATCH a fish and could only make one choice between livescope, helix, or vex.

I’d grab a vex.

Adam Steffes

There are multiple ways to change interference rejection on the helix. Both on the sounding side as well as the receiving side. We found a way to run two marcum units and a helix in one shack with some combination of these features. That said, I would recommend the Helix due to the graph time history capability to help you understand the fish behavior and response to various jigging tactics. Also its nice to see when you HAD a mark but don’t right now when you glance away for a second.

Attachments:
    1. EE2572D1-B130-45B7-9045-808D080FC7B9.jpeg

2. A96C4232-70BB-4EE1-9114-636937A3014C.jpeg

3. 5F6DDF2A-F34F-4B39-B124-5E64054FED28.jpeg

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Have Helix 7 and Fl22. To me it’s not about sonar, they both work. If walleye fishing I still prefer my Vex. On my crappie spot I’m kind of digging the Helix. Buddy got the 5 and the screen isn’t too small for ice fishing, saves a little battery and cash as well.

IMO, it’s about money and other features. It’s nice to get mapping and versatility for open water but it comes at a cost. With the Helix add up all the extras, lithium, shuttles, map chip, etc. Then compare. If you don’t have to have mapping, Vex may still be the winner.

Gary

Adam thanks for the help on helix interference. It’s just that I’m old with bad eyes and prefer not to fool around pressing on a screen if I don’t have to.

I just wanna turn the f$&k you I’m a vexilar knob to auto and just start fishing every single time

Go Spuds

I actually have both-I feel they each have their place. If I had to get rid of one Id probably keep the helix as I really like the mapping feature. But if I didnt care about the mapping I really like the auto zoom and digital depth readout on the fl-28

michael keehr

They both have there place. Any reason the flx 30 isnt in the conversation

Gary

I didn’t know there was a 30.

What can it do that an 18 or 20 or 28 can’t do?

michael keehr

It is broadband sonar you can pick your frequency. I have never had a 28 I have an 8 an 18 a 22 and now the 30. I love my 22 for shallow water picked up the 18 a few years ago to try trout fishing and the 22 only goes to 60 feet. I have been very happy with the 30 have been able to adjust the frequency and gain to pick out a 4mm tungsten and not show the weeds. Also had it out trout fishing in 100 feet and was able to pick up small spoon easily

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I have the Helix 7. Love it.

75% of the time I have the flasher screen on the left and the vertical screen on the right, magnified to 6x-8x to the where the fish are. It’s super nice to be able to use Lakemaster charts on the right if I’m hole hopping.

One thing to consider would be battery life. The Helix 7 NEEDS a lithium battery. Not sure if the 5 does. Just something to consider.

I’ve used a Vex 28 and it’s an awesome flasher. Absolutely terrific. But that’s all it is: a flasher. The Helix has some extra features and it’s 95% as good as the Vex 28 as a flasher alone. Easy choice in my opinion.

Adam Steffes

Its true that a Helix does not have a f;&@ you, I’m vexilar knob…so if that part is a requirement, its a straightforward choice. lol

Ben P
    Bemidji

I have the 5 and love it. Couldn’t swing the 7 at the time.

A bigger screen would better but it doesn’t hinder me when compared to my friends 7’s.

I’ve found the lakemaster maps to be more accurate than the navionics on a phone. This is comparing the mapping on my helix vs my buddy with his phone and we’re standing side by side. To be fair, I do have the Lakemaster Plus MN card installed, I don’t know if that makes a big difference.

Battery life was decent with the stock SLA which has turned into fantastic with a Lifepo4.

I’ve had no issues dialing out interference from other units. (Helix,Vexilar and Panoptix all in close proximity)

I use the flasher and graph, set on A-scope, quite a bit. I like it.

One thing I have learned is that not everyone is cut out for a Helix. If you’re not willing to learn/tinker with the settings each time you put a different lure on, go to a different spot or whatever change has occurred, then the Helix is not for you.

My buddy’s dad fits that description to a T. Lol

He constantly cusses it and the vexilar comes out. I’ll fiddle with his helix, show and explain to him what I’m doing and get him squared away. Never fails. Lol.

Just my thoughts.

Dr. Pomoxis

Thanks guys.I appreciate all the info. Since I won’t be using it in the boat given I have lowrance graphs in there, I think I’ll stick with vex. Now I need to figure out the difference between the 28 and 30, and which would be better for a crappie and walleye guy!

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Not sure how the new ones are but I had an older fl8 se, and it would start to bother my eyes with the spinning of the lights. I don’t seem to notice it on the huminbirds lcd screen.

Coletrain27

Not sure how the new ones are but I had an older fl8 se, and it would start to bother my eyes with the spinning of the lights. I don’t seem to notice it on the huminbirds lcd screen.

I know what you mean I would have the same problem. Newer ones now have low light modes that dim the brightness and that seems to help me. Some of the models you can change the colors also and that sometimes helps. My helix still makes my eyes go goofy at times when staring at it. I just take a break from looking at it for a little while.

Coletrain27

Here’s a pretty good video that compares all of the Vexilar models

Loren I Duerr

I have both and each has its place. Deep water for trout and whitefish regular and 6 or 8X zoom for history and watching fish chase. And Mapping go to helix 7. Hole hopping and weed fishing goes to the Fl 28.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.