Helix 12 G2N Mega SI not reading Sonar

• Bob Jones

I just purchased a new Skeeter WX2200 (2019 Model year – Leftover) that came with the Helix 12 G2N Mega SI. The boat was prepped at the Mfg with the in-hull 2D puck transducer (XP 9 HW T) and two side imaging transducers (XM 920 MSI T) that are Y-cabled together and then Y-cabled with te 2D transducer. All worked well for the 1st few times out fishing…really like the ease of use and image quality of the Helix 12 Mega SI.

Last week the Helix 12 stopped reading any sonar data. Charts worked but no sonar reading. Fortunately, I also have a Helix 10 in the bow so I put the Helix 10 on the console and was able to read sonar (2D only as the Helix 10 is a base unit). I also put the Helix 12 in the bow connected to the MinnKota transducer and still no sonar. I also reset the Helix 12 to factory defaults and still no sonar (at the bow or console). So it appears I’m left waiting for Humminbird to open back up (2 weeks?) so I can ship the unit back to them for repair.

Was curious if anyone else had a similar experience or suggestions for how to resolve this issue myself so I don’t lose a few weeks waiting for the shelter in place to end and a few more weeks for Humminbird to repair my Helix 12

Thanks for your help

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

One thing to try would be to remove the Y cables one at a time and see if that helps narrow the problem down. My locators were acting up last year. I did a quick google search and seen reports of the Y cable that connects in the 2D transducer being bad. I remove the Y cable and everything started working.

bpholl
    North Metro, MN

One thing to try would be to remove the Y cables one at a time and see if that helps narrow the problem down. My locators were acting up last year. I did a quick google search and seen reports of the Y cable that connects in the 2D transducer being bad. I remove the Y cable and everything started working.

X2 here.
    I had a similar issue last year on my G2N and a Y cable was the issue.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Did you check and see if you did not accidentally turn off sonar or changed which transducer to use in the selection menu?

rickwalley

If I’m understanding you correctly, you said all the Humminbird stuff came on the boat package from the Skeeter factory? Seems like you should be engaging your Skeeter dealer for his help? Let him run interference on it. I’m assuming you paid him a big chunk of change for that boat and all those electronics. Maybe you have, and I’m misreading the situation. If your Skeeter guy is a Humminbird “stocking” dealer, maybe he’d swap you a new one to get you back running, and he’ll work out the kinks with Humminbird and/or Skeeter?

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

More than likely the Y cable, there were several bad ones replaced last year…. again sorry your dealer is shut down…

Feel free to give Brandon a shout for assistance

Bob Jones

All,

Thanks for the help/advice. The only reason I didn’t pull the Y-cables is the Helix 12 didn’t read Sonar when I connected it to the Ulterra trolling motor up front (which has a 2D Transducer built in). I reset the Helix 12 to factory defaults and went through every transducer option in the menu with no reading. I also connected by Helix 10 (base unit – not DI or SI) and it read the 2D sonar on the console with no issue. Based on those tests I concluded the problem is with the Helix 12. Am I missing something? Is it possible a Y-cable issue would still allow the Helix 10 to read the 2D sonar while the Helix 12 does not.

Also, swapping out is not an option as its a G2N unit which are not readily available right now.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.