Heater body suit for bowhunting

• ScottSchreiber
    NULL

Didn’t look for recent posts….but would appreciate any feedback on them. Got a bunch of vacation coming up to hunt and the forecast is on the chilly side. Can only layer up so much and still draw and shoot. Tks!

B-man

I’ve shot a lot of deer out of one when I normally wouldn’t have been in the stand.

They work for bow hunting, but ideally you want to be out early with your bow in hand. I’ve unzipped with deer in range, but get out sooner if you can.

If a deer is say 75 yards out, unzip “manually” and grab your bow while leaving the suit draped over your shoulders to stay warm. As it gets closer a slow draw will silently let the suit fall off your shoulders.

Wear the shoulder straps (criss-cross over your chest), so it doesn’t drop to the stand when you unzip. When bow hunting, try to hunt from bigger trees or hunt higher, the suit makes you look twice your size.

You can literally hunt dark to dark in -10 and colder if you’re layered right underneath.

I couldn’t tell you how many hours in the stand a heater body suit has bought me. Worth it’s weight in gold.

You will learn to layer appropriately for your body and NEVER LEAVE THE STAND because you got cold! Seriously

B-man

What one do you have?
    DT

I have two actually, the first one I bought close to ten years ago. It was a “waterproof” model. The outside fabric is a similar to a heavy canvas sleeping bag and the zipper is completely silent.

I bought another one a few years ago for my wife. It’s the newer suede-like material. Quieter material when it rubs on something, but the zipper makes a zipper sound if you open it up too fast (and even slow it has a small zipper sound). My old one doesn’t and never did….????

My original one came with the booties, which are a must for hunting in teens or colder unless you’re wearing warm boots. In single digits to below zero you need pac boots and the booties if you want to hunt all day (for my cold feet anyway).

With the new ones, you have to pay extra for the booties. If you hunt in extreme temps get them.

For strictly bow hunting in “moderate” temps (say daytime highs of 30 and lows in the teens) and IWOM would be more maneuverable. But if you plan to hunt moderate AND true cold, a HBS is the way to go. (Like an MN cold snap, WI rifle season, muzzleloader, and late bow seasons).

Loomis13
    NULL

Have used mine for bow hunting and while not ideal it allowed me to sit out there and still draw comfortably. You are just gonna have to be out of it early than you might like or stealthy!

ScottSchreiber
    NULL

Pulled the pin on one, the local archery shop had them. They treat me good so wanted to give them the sale. Sprayed it down good and it’s outside airing out. Will post next week, prime time and gonna be cold!

B-man

Sweet waytogo

You’ll love it and appreciate the extra hours in the stand.

Practice at home getting in and out of it on a kitchen chair to mimick a treestand so you feel comfortable doing it in a stand.

It should go without saying, but WEAR YOUR HARNESS AT ALL TIMES.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

SS:

What kind of price were you able to get if you don’t mind telling… If not I’d understand also.

Mark

Michael Saal
    Merrill, Wi

This year with all the mud and water standing all over how are you keeping the inside dry and mud free when wearing it with muddy boots.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

This year with all the mud and water standing all over how are you keeping the inside dry and mud free when wearing it with muddy boots.

Good question. I was wondering the same thing.

B-man

A little mud doesn’t hurt it, and the booties keep the inside clean. mrgreen

Often times it’s frozen too when it’s time for the suit.

luckydave
    Cottage Grove, MN

Use the booties. They are easily washable.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.