hearing protection

• hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

What’s everyone here using for hearing protection?

Looking for units to use while hunting and shooting.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

For varmint hunting I finally gave up on muffs. Too hot and bulky. I have the gel ear plugs now, which are really nice and the sound reduction is very good.

For the range the e-muffs are kind of nice.

Grouse

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

I’m looking at getting a pair like this. Going to schedule a hearing test and invest in something. I know I’ve got some loss, I don’t want to be deaf in 30 years.

http://www.westone.com/defendear/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=14&Itemid=122

http://espamerica.com/

The especially ones are double the price I was hoping someone had some experience with either.

I figure if I can drop 1000+dollars on guns I should maybe invest in some hearing protection so I can still enjoy the outdoors with my ears. I’d hate to miss out on sitting in the dark and listening to nature while waiting for the sun to come up.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Just some quick things to think about. You want protect your hearing for above 80db – so, look at the NRR Noise Reduction Rating of what your buying. If I’m just cracking off a couple rounds, i use just my muffs. If I’m at the range for prolong period of time, I use a combination of plugs and muffs. Just wish I would have done that years ago.

Painful:

150 dB = Rock Concerts at Peak
    140 dB = Firearms, Air-Raid Siren, Jet Engine
    130 dB = Jackhammer
    120 dB = Jet Plane Take-off, Amplified Music at 4-6 ft., Car Stereo, Band Practice

44 Revolver
    170 dB
    45 Automatic
    165 dB
    M-16
    160 dB
    .357 Revolver
    160 dB
    12 Guage Shotgun
    155 dB
    .38 Revolver
    150 dB
    .22 Rifle
    145 dB
    Immediate Hearing Loss
    120 dB
    Probably Hearing Loss
    100 dB
    Long Term Exposure Risk
    85 dB

Extremely loud:

110 dB = Machinery, Model Airplanes
    100 dB = Snowmobile, Chain saw, Pneumatic Drill
    90 dB = Lawnmower, Shop Tools, Truck Traffic, Subway
    Very loud:

80 dB = Alarm Clock, Busy Street
    70 dB = Vacuum Cleaner
    60 dB = Conversation, Dishwasher
    Moderate:

50 dB = Moderate Rainfall
    40 dB = Quiet room
    Faint:

30 dB = Whisper, Quiet Library

http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/resources/shooting-earmuffs-selection-guide.html

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Thanks for posting that randy, the esp ones say they block out anything over 90db.

I don’t mind muffs for at the range but I’ve tried wearing my walkers out hunting and it just doesn’t work.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

If I at least have foam plugs at the range I am perfectly fine but I do try to take muffs. Nothing while hunting my whole life and no ear protection on range when young. My ears ring constantly.

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Anybody try Wildears yet?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.