Heading up this coming weekend!

• HowieT
    Eden Prairie,MN

How has the fishing been? What has been working for walleyes?
    Depths? Jigs? Cranks?
    Thanks in advance for any tips or advice!

ryan hunt

Was up over Labor Day. Slow going for us. Fish were in the transition from deep to shallow and did not seem to be concentrated yet. Water temps were around 65. Cranks seemed to be our best option around the 18 fow mark. Lots of boats fishing shallow with jigs as well. I would think with the full moon this weekend and it being a couple weeks later than when I was there, I would focus on the low light periods and shallow in the Sand Rock transition areas

HowieT
    Eden Prairie,MN

Thanks for the input. In this day and age it is hard to believe that there is only 1 published fishing report in the last 2 weeks on Leech. One of the guides filed a report on his page. Nothing on the chamber of commerce page, or any of the other 15 guides that have websites. The most successful guides in this or any other state tries to update their reports daily, or at least weekly. How are fisherman supposed to get excited to fish when they see no results posted? I personally would never hire a guide that shows no results on their website. Spending my hard earned money when i have no idea if the guide knows what he is doing? Not a chance. I am going to fish hard for 2 1/2 days and figure it out. Leadcore, pulling spinners, jig and minnow, slip bobbers, and pulling cranks at dusk and later. I will let you know what we figure out.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

You could call a guide and have a conversation with them?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Guides only need publicity until their schedule is full, after that you are just encouraging competition. Plus at this time of year, most of them have the hay in the barn so to speak, and they are catching up on stuff at home or their regular work. I know a bunch of the LOA guides are teachers, so they probably are not running many if any trips. I’d try calling Reed’s in Walker or Trapper’s Landing for an up to date report, or whatever bait shop you stop at up there.

As far as fall on Leech, I’ve fished it quite a few times and it depends a lot on where the fish are at in transition. Eventually they will be up shallow, but I doubt that time has arrived yet where they are concentrated in the shallows (there are always some shallow tho it seems). I’d recommend covering as much ground as possible, either just looking at electronics in deeper water or trolling in water under 15′. Prime times and night time are going to be your best bets, and for trolling I like bigger bodied baits in the fall.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Agree with Werm. Good luck Howie and I mean that sincerely. I don’t expect it will be easy going at all, but maybe you will have the magic touch.

Matt L
    Twin Cities

Fished it Labor Day weekend. Jig N shiner in 4-8 FOW in the weeds was good enough(5 fish an hour average) Eaters and big fish. Evening was best.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.