Heading up for a week trip!

• tylerman19
    Minnesota

I’m heading up for a week trip with my dad and want to put him on some bigger fish, I know the tower side kinda “holds more of the keeper class” but was looking for some insight on where I could maybe get into the larger class of fish in the lake. Thanks for anyone that would help, means a lot!
    Tyler!

SoDakangler

Just fish hard. There are lots of bigger fish in the east end too. Should be plenty of fish on main lake reefs right now.

If you get into a bunch of 10-12 inchers then MOVE rather than keep picking through them.

carver
    West Metro

Where are you staying on the lake?

There are some big ones everywhere even on the tower end. Just don’t fish in 30 ft of water with everyone else.

When your up pm me if you get into a rut. I can help you out.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

tylerman19:

An old guide used to tell me, similar to SoDakAngler, if you’re catching smaller fish, move 10′ higher or lower in the water column!!! Last time I did that, my bro, went from 12″ to 28″ when we went deeper by 10′!!!

I will also say that even though I have only fished the north half, based on looking at the map, there’s some nice ones on the SE side too!!!

Good Luck!!!

Mark

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We catch plenty of fish out of the tower side and we never fish the big water. We fish islands and points. I’m debating on heading up for a quick weekend with my son this weekend

ryan hunt

We catch plenty of fish out of the tower side and we never fish the big water. We fish islands and points. I’m debating on heading up for a quick weekend with my son this weekend

Just an FYI Aim walleye tourney is sunday, take off is out of Fortune Bay. Not sure if its a full 100 boat field yet, but will be a few more boats than normal on the water this weekend and should be some good fish caught, hopefully

Ripjiggen

Yeah take notes where the wrapped boats are parked Sunday.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Just an FYI Aim walleye tourney is sunday, take off is out of Fortune Bay. Not sure if its a full 100 boat field yet, but will be a few more boats than normal on the water this weekend and should be some good fish caught, hopefully

Thanks for the heads up, I planned to fast and have to push it to next weekend.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

I refuse to wrap my boat anymore for this very reason unless the price is right lol.

But on the flip side, I loved messing with people who didn’t believe me. Bobbers over 60ft of water, with a wrapped boat just to see how many people would get close to me. It was very entertaining to say the least. Some friends didn’t believe me.

Aim for Vermillion won’t be 100 boats. I think we’re going to have around 70-80 maybe, maybe even less. I can’t wait to head up Thursday to start pre fishing.

I have only fished this lake twice in my life and didn’t catch a dang thing the entire time haha. So just because we’re tournament anglers or have wrapped boats, doesn’t mean we’re crushing fish.

I am hoping to break my curse on this lake.

jech84

The family and I up here right now on the far west end and my daughters are having an awesome time catching perch and pannies. This is our first time fishing vermilion and its an absolute beautiful place to hang out in a boat. We’re up here for the week at Pehrson’s lodge so hopefully we can find a few walleyes to eat.

A few tournament guys are fishing the west end but I haven’t seen anyone boat a walleye yet. Good luck to all the boats with matching shirts!

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

The family and I up here right now on the far west end and my daughters are having an awesome time catching perch and pannies. This is our first time fishing vermilion and its an absolute beautiful place to hang out in a boat. We’re up here for the week at Pehrson’s lodge so hopefully we can find a few walleyes to eat.

A few tournament guys are fishing the west end but I haven’t seen anyone boat a <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye yet. Good luck to all the boats with matching shirts!

I spent a week catching grasshoppers, throwing them on a hook and catching bass in Pehrson’s boat harbor when I was a little kid…the hard part was finding the bugs!

Reef W

I spent a week catching grasshoppers, throwing them on a hook and catching bass in Pehrson’s boat harbor when I was a little kid…the hard part was finding the bugs!

Last time I was there I caught more fish in the harbor, waiting for others to get ready, than I did in the boat. Somebody reported catching a 29″ walleye, I think it was, right in front of the harbor and everybody (myself included) said “that’s cool” and then drove past the area to go catch nothing further away. lol

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Seems to always be the case, see the lake and catch fish off a dock! My parents had a lake place for about 10 yrs on the east end of Big Bay, best fishing was in the evening off the dock.

carver
    West Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

I refuse to wrap my boat anymore for this very reason unless the price is right lol.

But on the flip side, I loved messing with people who didn’t believe me. Bobbers over 60ft of water, with a wrapped boat just to see how many people would get close to me. It was very entertaining to say the least. Some friends didn’t believe me.

Aim for Vermillion won’t be 100 boats. I think we’re going to have around 70-80 maybe, maybe even less. I can’t wait to head up Thursday to start pre fishing.

I have only fished this lake twice in my life and didn’t catch a dang thing the entire time haha. So just because we’re tournament anglers or have wrapped boats, doesn’t mean we’re crushing fish.

I am hoping to break my curse on this lake.

Same goes for a guide boat. I mean I don’t mind if someone wants to fish by me but usually it gets to the point we’re one boat wants to use my graphs to see his jig.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.