Heading to Red Lake/other lakes in area this weekend – advice?

• Brian Offerdahl

3 of us are heading up to Northome this weekend to fish for walleye and pike. Have not fished any of these lakes in the fall. We fish Red, Bowstring and Winnie in the winter, but have not fished late season summer. Is Red Lake producing much? We plan on skipping Winnie as ice fishing has not been good the last few years. Any other lakes in the area that you would recommend? We will probably be throwing/trolling cranks and lindy rigs. Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated! I will be posting pictures/reports after the trip.

Thanks!

shady5

There are some decent walleyes in Island just south of Northome. Weedlines are the key.

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Brad has a report from Red in the middle of August.

A favorite option for customers this year for keeper walleye has been the option of going to Red….I'll just let the…

Posted by Brad Hawthorne's Guide Service on martes, 15 de agosto de 2017

Hoyt4
    NULL

I wouldn’t pass up Winnie that easy friends did well there this summer and last winter.

Brian Offerdahl

Hoyt4, Winnie was a favorite of mine for a number of years, but it hasn’t produced much for our group the last 3 years ice fishing. I haven’t fished it open water. We used to catch lots of nice walleye, but as of the last few years, walleye fishing has been slow and we seem to only find thousands of small perch in our usual walleye hot spots.

We are on the fence about Red. I think it will depend on how we do at Island, or whatever smaller lake near Island that we try.

We have thought about Island for a number of years, so I am sure we will give that a shot this weekend. We have had luck on Bowstring and Round Lake the last few years but are looking for new lakes to try for new adventures.

Thanks for the input so far. I woke up at 4:30 am today and couldn’t get back to sleep as I can’t stop thinking about fishing this weekend.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.