Heading to Rainy on the 28th

• Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

Looking for current fishing reports. Mostly targeting Walleye’s and also a incidental big Northern. Haven’t fished Crappie on Rainy but would like to give them a try if we need to get out of the wind. Is it to early to find them in the Rat? Staying at Thunderbird for 5th year so I know the lake fairly good but mostly fish in late June and August.
    Any tips will be much appreciated.

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

Anyone fished Rainy lately?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Heading up on June 24th-27th on a RLHB, would love to hear a report when you get back Wayne!

Sean Wachsmuth

I just returned yesterday from a 4-day trip to Rainy and it was tough going. Water temps from 53-55. We camped in Lost Bay and had a heck of a time catching any walleye. Tried jigging, casting jigs, bobbers, rapalas, bottom bouncers, and almost everything else in the box. Fished shallow water in bays and along islands and points. We ran from Cranberry Bay to out past Blueberry island (and all places between) and had a tough time even graphing fish. When we did graph them we couldn’t catch them. Caught a couple decent walleyes in the Brule Narrows but that was about the best we did. Lots of people came into Lost Bay but left in short order. It seemed that everyone was moving which told me that I wasn’t alone in my bad luck. I usually fish Rainy in June, July, and August and stay on the east end around the blueberry island reefs so this was an exploratory trip for me. The weather was beautiful but it looked like mayflies were stating to come out when we were there. That could have been part of it too. I have always done well on Rainy and this trip was disappointing as far as the fishing goes. Of course Rainy is beautiful and I was in great company so I have nothing to complain about. Heading back for at least one more trip this summer in July and then hopefully August. Should be better then.

Let me know if you want any specific questions about what we did so you can avoid my mistakes. Good luck on your trip!!! I hope you do better than I did!!

Mitchell Bunker

Sean,

We are heading up Thursday and are staying at Big Island, right across from Blueberry Island. Did you try going in the Kempton Channel at all? Have you had any luck before heading more east? I’ve read that the area near Sand Bay Island can be pretty decent. It’s our first time on Rainy as well, so we are looking for some tips!

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

Heading up on June 24th-27th on a RLHB, would love to hear a report when you get back Wayne!

I’m also heading back up June 30th thru July 6th. From past experience I expect to find fish on the humps between 20 and 30 ft of water that time of the year.

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

Sean,

We are heading up Thursday and are staying at Big Island, right across from Blueberry Island. Did you try going in the Kempton Channel at all? Have you had any luck before heading more east? I’ve read that the area near Sand Bay Island can be pretty decent. It’s our first time on Rainy as well, so we are looking for some tips!

One of the places I plan to fish if the waves aren’t to bad is the Kettle River it can be good early in the year. Other then that shore fishing is my other target. I will post on success if the wifi at Thunderbird is working.

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

I just returned yesterday from a 4-day trip to Rainy and it was tough going. Water temps from 53-55. We camped in Lost Bay and had a heck of a time catching any walleye. Tried jigging, casting jigs, bobbers, rapalas, bottom bouncers, and almost everything else in the box. Fished shallow water in bays and along islands and points. We ran from Cranberry Bay to out past Blueberry island (and all places between) and had a tough time even graphing fish. When we did graph them we couldn’t catch them. Caught a couple decent walleyes in the Brule Narrows but that was about the best we did. Lots of people came into Lost Bay but left in short order. It seemed that everyone was moving which told me that I wasn’t alone in my bad luck. I usually fish Rainy in June, July, and August and stay on the east end around the blueberry island reefs so this was an exploratory trip for me. The weather was beautiful but it looked like mayflies were stating to come out when we were there. That could have been part of it too. I have always done well on Rainy and this trip was disappointing as far as the fishing goes. Of course Rainy is beautiful and I was in great company so I have nothing to complain about. Heading back for at least one more trip this summer in July and then hopefully August. Should be better then.

Let me know if you want any specific questions about what we did so you can avoid my mistakes. Good luck on your trip!!! I hope you do better than I did!!

Thanks for the report Sean, had same problem the only other time I fished Rainy in the spring. Ended up finding them in the Kettle River filled up in a hour. I will be their again June 30 to July 6th and again in mid August PM me if you want tips for the next time you are up there.

Sean Wachsmuth

I really wish we would have headed to the Kettle River. Oh well, hindsight is 20/20 and we still had an amazing weekend. I will be headed back in August so hopefully I have better luck then! Enjoy your trip and I will definitely touch base for some tips on that trip!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>

I’m also heading back up June 30th thru July 6th. From past experience I expect to find fish on the humps between 20 and 30 ft of water that time of the year.

Yeah we usually go right after the 4th, and other than the super high water year, have most success on the reefs. I’ll try and post a report right upon returning to civilization.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Sean,

Mitchell how’d your trip go? The countdown is on for our group later this month. We typically stay east of the Brule, in the Saginaw bay area close to Big Island.

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

We are at thunderbird resort now, wifi is slooooow.Rainy has been living up to its name. Lots of rain cool temps. We have caught fish but it is slow and spotty. Fish are up by the Rocks and also in 18ft of water, reports are the Canada side is on fire. Will try that next year.

Mitchell Bunker

Our trip was pretty hit or miss. We had 3 boats, usually trying different areas and techniques. The “winning” boat caught 10+ 20-25″ walleyes. Mostly all caught in the Kempton Channel, south of Big Island. 10-14′ of water, either jigging or Lindy Rig. Pretty much just a hook and minnow was the trick.

Northerns and smallies were up around the rocky shores, shouldn’t be too hard to come up with some. Like Wayne said though, it can be a little slow on the US side.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.