Headed west on my first elk hunt!

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Man did time fly! Feels like I just received my elk tags in the mail a few days ago. The father in law and I left his house early this morning to start the long drive. The plan is to make it to Miles City in ND, grab a room, get a few hours of shut eye, then finish the rest of the drive Thursday. We’ll have Friday to scout. We start hunting Saturday at sunrise!

steve k
    buffalo co. wi.

best of luck to you and father-in-law and enjoy it all
    and safe travels to you. take lots of photos to share with your IDO family )

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

You have got to be on pins and needles right now. Man, how exciting!!! Good luck yay smash

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Check your map James…..Miles City is in Montana I’m pretty sure unless ND has one too.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Check your map James…..Miles City is in Montana I’m pretty sure unless ND has one too.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt!

Ha! Herb’s driving and when I told him our first leg destination is in Montana and not in ND he said “further west works in our favor!”

I’m always the guy in charge on trips. So far I’m digging the view from the seat on the right!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Our final destination is Anaconda, MT. I have a cow tag for #213 hunting district. I can shoot a bull in any district other than #213. Herb didn’t get a cow tag this year. Were going to get a chance to bounce around a bit and see a bunch of country if for no other reason than how our tags have worked out.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I see a new addiction starting toast good luck

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’m all in! I’ve enjoyed the preparation this summer more than I ever thought I would and we’re already making plans for next fall.

I haven’t been this excited for a trip of any kind since I was a kid.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Good luck ol boy!

Be safe! toast

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’m always the guy in charge on trips. So far I’m digging the view from the seat on the right!

And you’re just getting started. Western North Dakota and Montana are beautiful pieces of real estate.

Paul H

are you hunting public or private land? Using a guide service?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

are you hunting public or private land? Using a guide service?

Mostly public. Herb does have a friend in Montana that has some land we can hunt as well but I’m told it typically doesn’t hold many elk. No guide service… Herb’s been making this trip each fall for 20 years so he’s the lead man on this trip!

Aaron Kalberer

Good luck! It will be a great experience, and memories that you will cherish forever! Stay safe and keep us posted!!

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

While I didn’t kill an elk this year (though was at full draw on 3 separate occasions), I can’t stop thinking about hopefully making it out there next year! Good luck, and when the elk bug bites, its better off to just accept your fate.

basseyes

Have fun and enjoy all the little things. Out west in the fall is a special place.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Good luck James and enjoy the whole trip. Hope you have good weather and you aim is true.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Randy Wieland wrote:</div>

I’m all in! I’ve enjoyed the preparation this summer more than I ever thought I would and we’re already making plans for next fall.

I haven’t been this excited for a trip of any kind since I was a kid.

Believe me, I was saying a new addiction with extreme confidence. Everyone I have take out west with me to ciliradi or Wyoming immediately had the addiction. Ya, non res tags are rediculous in cost, but over all expenses for our trips have been relatively cheap. Pictures don’t do the grand view justice for the magnitude of what you see. For anyone that enjoys the experience more than “the kill”, they find a place that supersedes their expectations. Hope you find that with this hunt

realtreeap10
    Over there

Good luck James, I’ll be heading that way soon for 2nd rifle in Colorado. Just like you it is my first time elk hunting and can’t wait to get out there.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Good luck James! Look forward to hearing about it when you’re back. We just started planning a trip to Colorado next year!

Paul H

Have a great trip and good luck!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

For anyone that enjoys the experience more than “the kill”, they find a place that supersedes their expectations.

Killing an elk is all bonus on this trip. Getting to spend time with Herb, meet some of his friends and spend time in steep country in the fall will do it for me.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Good luck James.I hope you have a safe and successful trip.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Are you going to be out roughing it in tents or sleeping in cabin/truck? If you are just getting into this now I sure hope your father in law has all the extra gear. I’m just finding out now, the stuff aint cheap!!

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

If you are not yet in Miles City check out Econolodge, ask for Cora good reasonable priced motel that is clean. Best bar and restaurant in town next door, Black Iron.
    Good luck on your hunt.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Good luck James…. most importantly, what kind of boots are you sporting ? grin

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Anyone hear if James got an Elk or not?

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.