HDS 9 Sonar Set Up

• fisherman-j
    Northern MN

I have a Gen 2 (that has been recently updated, so I’m told it’s similar to G3) HDS 9 Touch. It has the thru hull transducer (WX1910). I’m loosing bottom at speeds over about 30. I have the transducer select that shows on the cable by the unit.

I was wondering if anyone could run through the settings they use (or point me to a video/website). I generally fish from 5 – 40 feet. Thanks!

GlennRengo
    Maple Grove, MN

I do not have an answer, but I know who does. Send your question to Doc Bruce Sampson on Facebook at Doctor Sonar. He will send you screen shots of what works best for him. If you are not a FB user then send him an email at [email protected] or contact him through his web site at http://doctorsonar.com/

KirtH
    Lakeville

Bump up the sensitivity a little at a time until you stop loosing bottom

Doc is a good resource

Chase Freidig

You are probably loosing bottom because your transducer is mounted too far forward, your transducer is mounted on a hull strake, or you have too much stern lift. Stern lift example: I will not loose bottom lock on my HDS 9 if I am using a 19p rev4 prop but if I use my 22p bravo FS then I will loose bottom. Both props run at 60mph but the way they lift the stern of the boat is different. The bravo prop causes my stern to be lifted so much that my thru hull transducer has a difficult time reading the bottom at the higher speeds. Make sure your transducer is mounted in the deepest spot possible in your boat and as close to the stern as possible.

fisherman-j
    Northern MN

Thanks Chase – I’ll take a look over noon hour and try and show a photo of where it’s mounted.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Most times when you lose bottom on a transom mounted duecer is due to cavitation. It can also be caused from duecer angle or even improper sensitivity, but generally speaking people struggle due to the cavitation created from being on plane.

Epoxy thru hull still has to see through any cavitation created from the hull. Chase’s comments about a prop changing the boat’s ride is spot on. That’ll change the typical cavitation characteristics.

An on the water trial may be to trim up/down to increase the boats contact surface with the water. If you can dink around and turn the problem ON/OFF you’ve found the cause.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.