HDS Gen III Transducers

• ssperch
    Hudson, WI

Hi All,

I’m looking to pick up an HDS 9 Gen 3 and am wondering how I should set it up with the various transducers available.

My first thought is to have the StructureScan ducer mounted in a way that it is in the water at low speeds but is raised up while on plane and also have a normal ducer mounted lower or epoxied to the inside of the hull to read when the boat is on plane.

Does anyone have any experience running the two ducer set up on these units?

I think Humminbird uses one at low speeds and then automatically changes to the other ducer when on plane. Does Lowrance do something similar?

Any input is much appreciated!

Sam

Kyhl
    Savage

I’m still using a Gen 1 version and have both transducers in the water at all times. Why would you want to have the SS out of the water when on plane?

CaptainMusky

Typically the structurescan transducer is mounted lower than the “skimmer” because it would usually pick up the skimmer if set up higher. You will want to mount the structurescan as low as you can so it avoids any obstructions with the hull, lower unit, etc.
    As long as your transducer doesn’t stick way below the hull of the boat, it will be out of the water when the boat is on plane.
    The skimmer you want to run just below the surface of the hull of your boat so it will still pick up while traveling at high speeds.
    The down imaging doesn’t work really well above 10 mph. I have gotten it to work higher, but really only use it below 5 mph. 2D sonar is better at higher speeds.
    I used to have a picture of my transducers mounted on the back of my boat, but I couldn’t find it and the boat is in storage.
    Just make sure you don’t have ribs or rivets right in their path either to make turbulence in the water which will affect their performance.

ssperch
    Hudson, WI

Here are a few photos I found that show the two possible mounting options I could do on my Triton 205.

I’m not sure what the pros/cons are of either. I’ve heard rumors that if you mount flush with the water (Option 2) it creates a lot of drag and pressure on the ducer and it can be broken off when running a river with lots of debris.

I was thinking it would be protected if mounted high up the step (Option 1) however I’m questioning whether or not it would be as effective in this position.

Sam

Attachments:
    1. Option-1.jpg

2. Option-2.jpg

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.