A Side Imaging look at submerged navigation “cans”

• jhalfen

On a recent trip to Pool 4, which is currently crawling back into its banks, I identified a number of submerged navigation buoys (cans) that had been overtaken by the rising river waters. These cans (particularly the ones that don’t occasionally bob above the surface) pose significant hazards to navigation. I came close enough to several to capture some nice Side Images with my Humminbird 1197. As you look at these images, note that the can, its chain, and the sonar shadows from both are generally clearly visible. For a few of the cans, the turbulent, bubbly water downstream of the cans, caused by the can bouncing around in fast water near the surface, is also apparent.

Take it easy out there, and don’t wreck your day by glancing off one of these submerged cans.

jhalfen

Here’s another, with a prominent bubble trail on its downstream side.

jhalfen

A little upstream of that previous can was another. Here’s a look at two cans in a row.

jhalfen

One last pic of a single can on the port side.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Real nice, Jason. These images never cease to amaze me.

fireman731
    Miles, Iowa

So…are these red or green bouys ! Sorry…just had to see if a pointed bouy has a different bubble trail than a flat top bouy.

jhalfen

Quote:

So…are these red or green bouys ! Sorry…just had to see if a pointed bouy has a different bubble trail than a flat top bouy.

Very perceptive!

The first one is red. The rest are green.

KirtH
    Lakeville

They hurt when you hit one underwater, not me, seen the results though

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.