Humminbird Side Imaging spots another big fish

• jhalfen

This one is suspended high off the bottom in 17 feet of water, cruising the shoreline off some docks (the stuff visible at far right). The fish is marked with a white arrow, and its sonar shadow marked in red.

How many big fish like this are you missing with your down-looking sonar??

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Let me post some Fish Pics of my own. Considering where we were and what I was seeing. I’m thinking that these are carp.

whittsend

Great pics guys! Definately no doubt about what we are looking at. Great to see those fish marks/shadows.

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

Jason, awesome pictures. How do you save these pics and post to your computer? Do the HBird units have a jack that plugs into a digital camera? or are you saving picx to a memory card within the unit? Whatever the method, just fantastic images. I was ready to purchase another new Lowrance 520C series but decided to wait and get SI onto the boat instead. I’ll have to give you a call or swing by your boat on the river (if I see you) to get some more details. Thanks..

whittsend

997 comes with 2 SD card slots. One for a memory card, one for a mapping card. Easy peasy

jhalfen

Frank, moving the screen captures around couldn’t be easier.

As Mike noted, there are slots for two SD cards in the 997. I use one for my Navionics map chip and the other for a chip that I write the screen captures to.

Each screen capture is written as a .png (portable network graphics) file that I can copy to my laptop, edit, crop, or annotate if necessary in Photoshop (or any other graphics program that will read a .png file), or post directly on IDO.

I’d be happy to show you around the system sometime. Just lemme know!

reddog

Greatimages there Ruger! Would I be wrong in assuming that you are not having any buyers remorse with your 997 purchase?

As a new user with limited experience and having to make the decision to go with Humminbird or Lowrance, tell us what your thoughts are now. Any regrets?

Quote:

Let me post some Fish Pics of my own. Considering where we were and what I was seeing. I’m thinking that these are carp.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Greatimages there Ruger! Would I be wrong in assuming that you are not having any buyers remorse with your 997 purchase?

As a new user with limited experience and having to make the decision to go with Humminbird or Lowrance, tell us what your thoughts are now. Any regrets?

I’ve had my 997 for about a month now. The only regret I have is that I have to work Mon – Fri and can’t use my boat and the 997 as much as I would like.

I can say,(I’m sure Jason will agree) that you spend a lot more time “playing” with the Side Imaging then you ever did looking at traditional style 2-d graphs. My fiance has said a couple times “Will you just pick a spot and fish!” As I am spending more time “scouting” when I get on a new body of water.

Also I will say that the 997 requires way more user input on the fly than any other unit I’ve ever run. Changing graph display speed to compensate for boat speed, changing transducer freguencies as you need, changing display pages, sensitivity adjustments, etc. Maybe it’s because I’ve learned so much more and actually know how to adjust and optimize the 997.

Lastly I was shocked about the difference in how much I thought I knew about the bottom of a body of water vs. how much I’ve learned since putting the 997 in my boat. SI is an unreal tool.

I simply can’t wait to fish many of the northern MN lakes I that know. I’m really excited to “see” and learn what is so special about certain spots and look at spots that I’ve seen something on the traditional 2-d graph just as a “hump” or structure.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.