Battery for the Birds

• dank
    Minneapolis, MN

Wello-

My brother and I are getting close to firing up the new birds on the boat. We have dedicated power lines going from teh units to the battery and are wondering if we should consider upping the cranking battery.

We will have two 1198s and livewell running off the battery. the livewell will only be used in tournies.

We will have a new Interstate 24Mt to crank the boat.

Is this enough power?

thanks

mike-west
    Amery, WI

I run 2 HDS 10’s and a 8 in my boat. When tourny fishing, then the live well too (if fishing Gods are willing).
    As the day went on, I found loosing power and getting surges was becoming a more consistant problem./concern (even when making long runs). I piggy backed another 12 volt (I use Omptima B34M blkue tops for cranking/assesories) and not once have I experienced the problem since. Maybe an over kill but sure nice to know you have the extra 12 volt source.
    I beleive there are many that run your set up and are okay, this is just mine. Note, I also only run a 24v Terrova for this reason. I wanted the extra battery spot in my 620.

tommy_skarlis

Dan,

I will have to agree with Mike on this one = You can never have too much power! With the newer electronics these days, as well as livewells and other accessories, the word “overkill” can be replaced with “prudent” or “prepared”!

I also like the way you and your bro run dedicated “lines” from your ‘Birds to your Bats’! I do the same in my boat. I also run Optima Blue Tops – and use the biggest they have – which are the 31’s.

Another Item of importance is the alternator on you Big Motor. I run E-TEC’s – and they have one of the highest output alternators available and will charge the bats when trolling or idling, some motors at idle will actually tap the battery, not charge it.

Power On!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.