HB 597ci HD DI Combo/788ci HD DI Combo??

• Hank H
    Montana

Ok… After reading as much as I can find on the Lowrance/Humminbird decision it pretty much boiled down to “customer service”! Correct me if I am wrong and this may open up a can of worms but there seems to be less people happy with Lowrance customer service. I am doing my darnest to go not into this purchase blind and appreciate any and all of the feed back I have recieved on here. So here goes…

Most people are happy with Himminbird’s customer service. Even the stores around this area say that they won’t stock Lowrance due to customer service/difficuly dealing with the rep that services their store but that they are “Very Happy” with Humminbird customer service and with the reps that service their stores. Is this a rule of thumb that is being seen across the country?

Second question:
    From what I read the HB 597ci HD DI Combo/788ci HD DI Combo units are pretty much the same as far as “Model Options” go with the exception under “Sonar”. The 597 lists both “Down Imaging” and “DualBeam PLUS”. The 788 list only “DualBeam PLUS”. What can be the difference? Or is this a misprint and the “DualBeam PLUS” is what gives the ability for “Down Imaging”? I know there are more differences in the other features but I am just concerned what the difference of what I mentioned above would be in the results of operation.

OK I do have one more question: Dollar for dollar is it worth spending more money for the difference of the 788??

Now I am done… For now anyway. Thanks for any and all help on this. I am about to pull the trigger.

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

I think what you are hearing about customer service is nationwide. A few years back, Lowrance was getting a very bad wrap. Some say it has improved, but it could boil down to fewer people needing said support. HB has had excellent support for the times I needed it, and others can attest. Currently, HB has been having problems developing operational software with the introduction of their new products (360 and ipilot Link). Though, if these features aren’t used, there is no need to worry about such software upgrades.

The 597 and 788 models you refer to, may do the same things, but the 788 does offer more features. Ethernet, preset buttons, two SD card slots to name a few. What I would caution, is that you take a very close look at the “Dual Beam Plus” on the DI units you’re looking at. The HB DI unit’s 2D sonar uses a different frequency than does the rest of HB lines. The DI units use a 200/455khz beam versus the 200/83khz of the rest of the units. There has also been rumors that the DI unit’s “Dual Beam Plus” functions differently than the other units as well. From what I have heard, the DI units don’t actually have a sonar view that runs both frequencies at the same time. It is capabale of running both beams at the same time, but only in a split screen format. Something to check out.

Just make sure that, if going the 788 route, that you get the 788HD DI. It will have DI and Dual Beam Plus.

If you ever plan to expand your electronics system or run the ipilot link, then you will want the ethernet capabaility that the 788HD DI offers. If this unit is the only one you will need on the boat, then the 597HD DI will probably be enough for your needs.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Maybe I haven’t figured it out yet, doubtful, but my 597 can not run just like gixxer stated. No split screen with the two different beams that the HB website states what is Dualbeam PLus . But from what I gathered the two beams it has for sonar and DI does cover the same amount of water as the 20/60 it just doesn’t give you the option to look at them individually on the same screen. Would anyone be able to chime in on how fast the depth maps load on the Lowrance bc that is a big annoyance with how slow my HB is to zoom in/out on mine. I know its only a few seconds but for the $$$ I dropped feel it should be faster.

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

Quote:

Maybe I haven’t figured it out yet, doubtful, but my 597 can not run just like gixxer stated. No split screen with the two different beams that the HB website states what is Dualbeam PLus . But from what I gathered the two beams it has for sonar and DI does cover the same amount of water as the 20/60 it just doesn’t give you the option to look at them individually on the same screen. Would anyone be able to chime in on how fast the depth maps load on the Lowrance bc that is a big annoyance with how slow my HB is to zoom in/out on mine. I know its only a few seconds but for the $$$ I dropped feel it should be faster. [/quote\]

As far as views go, I have been told that the DI units are only missing the one view, the combined frequency in the traditional 2D view. Is it possible you have some views hidden? Regardless, I don’t think you’re the only one feeling duped by HB’s advertising of the dual beam plus on the DI units.

What software version are you running? I thought they addressed some GPS issues recently. Perhaps its a processor issue.

herrberg

I have the 597 you are talking about, nice rig.. However – if I were doing it again – i’d go for the 598 version at least. The 597 is less money, but you won’t be able to really hook it into anything later on down the road without the interlink box.

my two cents – again – great little unit.

Hank H
    Montana

I am being confused here again… The “DI” is missing “one” view? What view is it missing?

Can the 597 and the 788 do a split screens and display the following “Sonar” and “DI” at the same time? “DI or Sonar with Chartplotter” at the same time. Sorry I am new to this new generation of electroincs.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I have the DI model, and the view we are speaking of is the Dualbeam plus sonar view, where split screen it will show the 20deg and then the 60deg. I also believe that you can have it in the same screen but have the fish pop up different colors that would represent whichever cone they popped were in. I got all updates when I bought it which was late summer last year but haven’t checked it lately bc it has been stored away.

Yes the 597 has gps/DI view as well as gps/sonar and sonar/DI plus others.

Just not 20deg/60deg view.

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

Yes, it can do everything you are describing. What we are referring to are views associated with the Dual Beam Plus function, which is solely related to 2D sonar.

Perhaps a lesson in Dual Beam Plus is in order.

Dual Beam Plus is a feature that allows a unit to transmit multiple frequencies and display the returns of each frequency at the same time in one view. It is also only related to the 2D sonar, and has npthing to do with DI or SI. Most people understand Dual Beam Plus to be the unit transmitting 200/83khz sonar frequency and showing the returns on the same traditional 2D sonar view. My 798 HD, for example, will transmit both the 200 and 83 beams and display them combined on the traditional 2D sonar view. The 798 can also go a step further and decipher which beam a fish is located in and display it as a different color. This is what the DI units cannot do, though both units are advertised as having Dual Beam Plus.

reddog

2D sonar frequencies:

With the 597, you get 28 degree 200 khz and 16 degree 455khz.

With the 788, you get 25 degree 200 khz and 16 degree 455 khz.

Down imaging frequencies are the same for both units

75 degree 455 and 45 degree 800.

Both are advertised as DualBeam Plus technology, but when you compare what “DualBeam Plus Technology” was prior to the dedicated down imaging units, it was the ability to combine both 2d frequencies on one screen.. That is not a sonar menu option with the dedicated DI units. They have dual beams, but I dont think they have the “Plus” ..

The Down imaging units do not have a wide angle 2D sonar crystal, like all of the non dedicated DI units do (60 degree/83 khz.)

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

But to get the wider view with the 597 I run it sonar/DI that way you see the narrow sonar with the wider DI beam. Certainly not as nice as the PLUS, but it works.

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

Back to the OP.

Between the two units you mentioned, I would opt for the 788HD DI. I am not for certain, but I do think it offers more sonar views than does the 597HD DI. This is based off what the others posted about the 597.

As far as the DualBeam Plus feature, don’t let it fool you. The Lorance HDI 7 does the same thing based on the units you are comparing. What I think it boils down to is this…
    788HD DI Pros ….Ethernet, customer service
    Lowrance HDI 7 Pros……..Larger Screen

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Do you plan on ever needing Ethernet connections, or extra sd slots? If not then go for the cheaper 597. A lot of extra money for some options you may not ever utilize. But if a few years down the road you will be hooking up some Ipilot or other stuff go for the 788. Either way have fun with whichever unit you decide to go with I know mine changed my fishing game all together.

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

I emailed customer service with a question about My 587 hd di that should be arriving on Tuesday and heard back within 16 hours. That seems like a positive as far as cs goes.

Hank H
    Montana

I e-mailed Lowrance with a question a couple days ago and got back their “formed” answer that they are concerned and will get back to me as soon as they can… We’ll see how long it takes.

Hank H
    Montana

Is there a benifit or a hinderence to either one of the two frequencies, also will it affect anything if I try to put say a 788ci HD Combo that uses the 20/60?
    200/455khz beam versus the 200/83khz

Anyone know why they use the different frequencies for the DI’s?

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

The only thing that comes to mind is that the 200/455 covers only 20* max, versus the 60* of the 200/83.

I can’t see any issues running any other units in conjunction with any of the DI units, lots of people run them with others. If anything, it might be nice to run a DI unit in the 455khz beam, and the other in 200khz. Would probably cut down on interference between units.

I have no idea why HB chose the 455khz for the 2D. Like anything, I’m sure it was easier and cheaper to do so.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.