Considering a HB

• keepcasting
    Excelsior

I figured this would be as good of a place as any to get some feedback on a new HB. I have never owned a HB nor has anyone I regularly fish with, but I am considering either a 500 or 700 series for the front of my boat (where i spend 90% of my time fishing). I like the lakemaster chips and like the idea of being able to adjust the depth and do the depth shading with the HB. Also, having the DI built right in instead of the additional “bundle” with the Lowrance is appealing. There seem to be some pretty good deals out there right now on the 597ci HD DI and the 797ci HD DI units. My 2 biggest questions are is it worth it to get the down imaging and is it worth a couple hundred more bucks to get the 797 vs. the 597? Thanks!

jon_wbl

From what I was told at the sports show, the difference between the 500 and 700 series is that you can “network” the 700’s. If you plan on running multiple units in the boat you need the 700 so they won’t interfere with each other. Thats the what I got from the HB rep anyway.

Drew Engelmeyer
    Lakeville, MN

From what I could tell, you get trhee things by upgrading to the 797.

1. The ability to network the unit in with other units.
    2. The ability to add an external GPS receiver.
    3. Two card slots

If you plan on purchasing other HB units at a later date, it might be worth the money so you can network them together. Having one chip slot for your map software and one for your data is always nice. That way you don’t have to keep swapping out cards and risk damaging one of them.

I purchased a 597 and had problems with the speed readout under 1 mph. HB customer service said that is a known “feature” (not a known issue). ) They said that an external receiver should fix it, but I would have to bump up to a 797 because the 597 doesn’t allow for it. I now own a 797. In the end this was the right decision as I am purchasing an 1198 for the rear of the boat.

One other thing to consider, there are well documented interference issues with some of their units and the MinnKota Terrova. There are several posts on this site and others about this issue.

Drew

super_do
    St Michael, MN

I networked a 500 and 900 series two years ago. I also installed external GPS pucks for both of them.

Drew Engelmeyer
    Lakeville, MN

Quote:

I networked a 500 and 900 series two years ago. I also installed external GPS pucks for both of them.

Perhaps on previous 500 series models you could network them, but you can’t anymore.

I also know for sure that an external GPS receiver is not available for their 500 series. I looked through all of their receivers and none of them list a 500 series model as a compatible unit. Confirmed by HB customer service.

597:

http://store.humminbird.com/products/410761?product_id=c338be1bdc9afbdc249220796a9b96d4

788:

http://store.humminbird.com/products/410760?product_id=2c04211aa9cfe3acaaa2465b2e294f94

There are no networking modules listed for the 500 series, but there are for the 700.

Also, I’m guessing you are looking at a 788ci DI combo. The 797’s are SI/DI units. I don’t know how much good SI will do in the bow. I own a 788ci DI unit, not a 797.

Drew

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

I currently have a 798 ci hd si I have been using various forms of HB SI and wideside on the “front” for years. If you drop the trolling motor but use the gas engine to steer, it keeps a clean image and detects the fish before you get to them. I also use the SI and sweep the trolling motor when anchored to get “360” image. These are just a couple of the uses for SI up front. With DI, you just get the early detection.

dragon_em_in

Side Imaging is definitely worth it. It’s really nice to find the fish or structure on the sides of you, mark ’em with the GPS function, then come back and hover over your marked point. It’s really nice on new lakes.

I’m glad I spent the money on SI. Took me a while to understand it and how to use it, but it is definitely worth it.

Wade
    Dragon ‘Em In

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

The deals you are finding on the 797 units is because they are no longer listed in the products section on the Humminbird web site. The 797 was replaced by the 798c HD SI last year. The new down imaging unit is the 788c HD DI. I believe this applies to the 500 series units also.

Last year the pro-v got upgraded from a Lowrance to a 898c SI Combo. Best depth finder I have every owned. This year I am going with a DI unit on the bow just not sure which one yet although leaning to the 858.

It appears from the Humminbird web site that the trolling motor transducer will be available at the end of April.

For 300. 500 and 700 series
    XTM 9 DI 25 T
    Transducers
    710234-1
    Trolling Motor Mount Transducer
    Item available in late April.
    Down Imaging™/DualBeam Plus™, 75°/45°, 455/800 kHz (DI) and 25°/16°, 200/455 kHz, with built in temperature, 15′ Cable. Low profile design minimize snags. Easy installation, all hardware included. 1 foot cable.

MSRP $99.99

For 1100, 900 and 800 series
    XTM 9 WIDE DI 20 T
    Transducers
    710235-1
    Trolling Motor Mount Transducer
    Item available end of April
    Down Imaging™/DualBeam Plus™, 75°/45°, 455/800 kHz (DI) and 25°/16°, 200/455 kHz, with built in temperature, 15′ Cable. Low profile design minimize snags. Easy installation, all hardware included.

MSRP $99.99

keepcasting
    Excelsior

I appreciate the feedback. Being able to network will make sense in the future when I can get the wife to ok another new unit. I am going to the muskie expo on Friday so I will try and pick the brains of the guys at Reed’s and Thorne’s as well. It seems like given the direction the technology is going that I might as well try to get either the DI or SI if the right deal can be had.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

If you get an SI unit, it’l have the DI as well.
    Just not the other way around.

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

I currently have a 798 ci hd si I have been using various forms of HB SI and wideside on the “front” for years. If you drop the trolling motor but use the gas engine to steer, it keeps a clean image and detects the fish before you get to them. I also use the SI and sweep the trolling motor when anchored to get “360” image. These are just a couple of the uses for SI up front. With DI, you just get the early detection.
    The DI on the SI units is greatly enhanced by using the HDSI transducer. It has longer elements in the transducer.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.