Ice conditions

• dpomann
    Sartell,MN

Just wanted to start a post to keep everybody up to date on ice conditions in the hayward area. WE are making ice as we speak and looks like good ice making weather for the next week or so. The way it is looking I would say around thanksgiving we should be ice fishing….. Hopefully!!

I’ll keep ya posted!

Good Luck,
    Tanner Wildes

bigpike

Thanks Tanner, that is appreciated

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Tanner good thread to start… Usually I know in the Minocqua we are getting close when the Thorofare starts to freeze and though I know its been some time since I have been on it I drive over every day. Had skim ice on the shorelines last week, but no longer.

Also have been hunting grouse close to a little off road lake that should freeze early, but haven’t been there this week. I will get there to run the dogs before deer starts and the week of deer hunting, so will be able to look it over. Thinking the little lakes could be fishable during the deer season, will be on the look.

Mark

dpomann
    Sartell,MN

Even more ice now on the lakes, a lot of bays and small potholes are totally frozen over, hopefully if it stays cold we will be fishing by next weekend! hopefully!!

Tanner Wildes

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Even more ice now on the lakes, a lot of bays and small potholes are totally frozen over, hopefully if it stays cold we will be fishing by next weekend! hopefully!!

Tanner Wildes

Guess who has all next week available for an early ice shoot?

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Thanks for keeping us updated Tanner!
    I have a cabin on far south west end of Cheif lake. I have little or no resources to keep me informed of the ice conditions. I am planning (like every year) to be there while still day light Wednesday. With the 30th not coming until Tuesday, looks like I might need a couple more days off.

Your opion, will we be able to fish the back bay by then? How much snow they talking up there?

dpomann
    Sartell,MN

Mike,
    I hope we will be able to fish by the end of the season for walleye, but it will all depend on how much wind we get the next couple of days, they are talking about 20 mph wind, and if that does, it could break up the ice Right now it is about an inch thick in spots or less. I will keep everyone posted on it as I try to check it everyday.

Good luck,
    Tanner Wildes

mike-west
    Amery, WI

Agree Tanner,
    Our two biggest enimies right now are…WIND & SNOW. Looks like it’s going to get around 8 there tonight with winds going to calm over night. Then the concern will lie with what Wednesday through Thursday brings. I live in Amery, WI so I’ll be checking myself either later tomorrow or wait until the strom blows through on Thursday.

You reports are very much appreciated and very welcomed.
    Happy Thanksgiving
    Mike

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.