Have manufactured rods caught up to "custom"?

• Whateverbites

I have 3 thorne Bros rods that I purchased about 10 years ago (2 noodles and a perch sweethear) at the time, rods off the shelf didn’t come close, I haven’t really paid attention to ice rods since than, but my perch sweetheart broke this weekend and I need to replace it, curious if its still worth going “custom”?

Looking for a rod in particular to handle small/med spoons

Ice Cap

I have 3 TUCR rods. Started buying last season. Only rods that come out of my bag now. Small to medium spoons I’d go with a TUCR Fusion. Great rod.

IMO, the st Croix custom blanks for the ml-MH actions, the hollow carbon ones, are superior to any China blank, or Thorne blank for sensitivity and tactility. I mostly use the ci32mf for a wide range of spoon sizes when targeting walleye.

As far as lighter stuff, I still like the Thorne panfish and quiversticks for my carbon setups.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Factory rods have came along ways in the last 10 years for sure. Especially from the high end companies like G-Loomis, St. croix, and kistler to name a few. The quality of the components used on these rods are every good as those used by some custom rod builders. The cost of these rods are also on par with the cost of a custom built one. To me it’s not a matter of have they caught up – it’s do they make a rod that does what I want it to or in the specifications I want. I have a custom built rod I use for dropshotting ( one of my favorite ways to bass fish ) if it broke tomorrow I would be out looking for a custom builder to make me a new one. There just isn’t anything like it made by any factory rod builder.

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I think you had it right with the Thorne Brothers Perch Sweetheart.

I have the 36″ with 7″ Winn grip and love it. I also have two TUCR Precisions that haven’t left the Otter case since the TB arrived last season. They fit the same role for small/med spoons, but I like the faster action and slightly softer tip of the TB.

With the exception of the 13 Fishing Black Widow series, I haven’t used or owned any “manufactured” rods that rival the customs.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Have manufactured rods caught up to “custom”?

They always do. I think the true questions are have Custom Rod Builders become production builders AND how many custom builders ceased advancing forward???

I build all my own ice rods for specific uses, so I have a lot. As for open water long rods in the less than 8′, most of my rods are manufactured. Back in the late 70’s and through the 80’s, and even into the 90’s it was very beneficial to build custom. Manufactures were years behind. When we were all building on IM6 or IM7, manufactures were still all glass rods. then a few years passed and IM6 was the manufacture standard as custom still advanced.
    Seems like when we hit to 2000’s, component prices exploded. Yes you can still buy crap for cheap, but quality comes with a major price tag. Years ago, it was very cost effective to buy high end quality.
    Its disappointing to me to see some custom guys making a production out of lessor quality parts. BUT, its the consumer that dictates that. If they don’t buy $100.00 plus ice rods, the builder has to build them cheaper….which steps down to near the manufacture’s market.
    Additionally, I don’t see the huge difference in blanks anymore. Years ago, manufactures had blanks that weighed enough to be lead pipes. Now, some are very difficult to see or feel the difference. ICAST was a shocker. So many quakity rods out there and 90% of the buyers will not stock them. Too many to choose from. 95% of which you will probably never see as a consumer

milemark_714

They always do. I think the true questions are have Custom Rod Builders become production builders AND how many custom builders ceased advancing forward???

I build all my own ice rods for specific uses, so I have a lot. As for open water long rods in the less than 8′, most of my rods are manufactured. Back in the late 70’s and through the 80’s, and even into the 90’s it was very beneficial to build custom. Manufactures were years behind. When we were all building on IM6 or IM7, manufactures were still all glass rods. then a few years passed and IM6 was the manufacture standard as custom still advanced.
    Seems like when we hit to 2000’s, component prices exploded. Yes you can still buy crap for cheap, but quality comes with a major price tag. Years ago, it was very cost effective to buy high end quality.
    Its disappointing to me to see some custom guys making a production out of lessor quality parts. BUT, its the consumer that dictates that. If they don’t buy $100.00 plus ice rods, the builder has to build them cheaper….which steps down to near the manufacture’s market.
    Additionally, I don’t see the huge difference in blanks anymore. Years ago, manufactures had blanks that weighed enough to be lead pipes. Now, some are very difficult to see or feel the difference. ICAST was a shocker. So many quakity rods out there and 90% of the buyers will not stock them. Too many to choose from. 95% of which you will probably never see as a consumer

If anything,it has made the availability of components for those that like to roll their own.With a little tweaking,one can make a bullwhip style rod for less than 30.00.

Ryan Wilson

I really appreciate a well made custom rod. I own 3 TUCR’s and if I had to only buy stock rods, I’d use schooley’s. For me, I think the difference is the quality to quantity ratio. Sure, stock rods are wrapped by hand too but by foreign labor pumping out the numbers. Quality in craftsmanship only has to pass the lowest qualifications to pass.

A custom built rod is built by a single domestic person or a small team that has the ability to provide quality assurance because they aren’t mass producing them to fill daily quotas. That’s why it takes at least a month to get a custom rod to your door instead of going and buying a stock rod for 80 bucks. And, I can have it built exactly how I want it instead of having to modify a $80 stock rod.

Having said that, I honestly don’t care where something is made. The only things domestic on TUCR’s are the recoils and the labor and they are fantastic rods. What gets me though is seeing stock rod companies trying to get in on the “custom money” and charging 60-70-80-120 dollars for a rod that really isn’t that different from the $40 mass produced Chinese one sitting next to it. As a consumer, I don’t see many guys grabbing those $80 stock rods when they can buy 2-4 rods for the same price that gave the same form and function.

I think most of these higher-end stock rod companies are relying on there namesake and customer loyalty more than offering a reasonable priced product. Until then, I’ll stick with my TUCR’s. And in all reality, once one acquires the tools to do so, one can build there own custom rod for about $35. One could definitely get the tools and materials required to build there own rod for the price of a TUCR/TB or a higher-end stock rod.

sheppy

I really appreciate a well made custom rod. I own 3 TUCR’s and if I had to only buy stock rods, I’d use schooley’s. For me, I think the difference is the quality to quantity ratio. Sure, stock rods are wrapped by hand too but by foreign labor pumping out the numbers. Quality in craftsmanship only has to pass the lowest qualifications to pass.

A custom built rod is built by a single domestic person or a small team that has the ability to provide quality assurance because they aren’t mass producing them to fill daily quotas. That’s why it takes at least a month to get a custom rod to your door instead of going and buying a stock rod for 80 bucks. And, I can have it built exactly how I want it instead of having to modify a $80 stock rod.

Having said that, I honestly don’t care where something is made. The only things domestic on TUCR’s are the recoils and the labor and they are fantastic rods. What gets me though is seeing stock rod companies trying to get in on the “custom money” and charging 60-70-80-120 dollars for a rod that really isn’t that different from the $40 mass produced Chinese one sitting next to it. As a consumer, I don’t see many guys grabbing those $80 stock rods when they can buy 2-4 rods for the same price that gave the same form and function.

I think most of these higher-end stock rod companies are relying on there namesake and customer loyalty more than offering a reasonable priced product. Until then, I’ll stick with my TUCR’s. And in all reality, once one acquires the tools to do so, one can build there own custom rod for about $35. One could definitely get the tools and materials required to build there own rod for the price of a TUCR/TB or a higher-end stock rod.

If you are building an ice rod and only have 35.00 into the entire build, that means you bought cheap bottom of the barrel components. I’ve tried building rod(I don’t have the patience) and with the little time I put into it I know that you get what you pay for. Blanks are not the same or quality comparable and really is the same with all components. From what I can tell is that most ice rod builders are basically rod assemblers. Most ice rods being made/sold are basically cataloged part rods and there is little difference between the final products between many builders which is really too bad and kind of ruins the image for all builders. From the forums and FB groups that I read through, there really only is a handful of true CUSTOM rod builders out there. These are the builders that are innovating, advancing which ultimately benefits the sport of fishing. Builders like Kevin Johnson, Andy wolfram, Eric vossler and chris stanton. From the turned grips to carbon fiber work to the decorative wraps, these builders are producing functional art that performs. Hell… chris stanton even makes his own blanks from scratch! The thing is that these guys are coming up with new “technologies”, develop a following and then get ripped off and undercut by the bigger companies. It’s easy for the bigger companies to sit back and let the little guys invest their own money and do the R&D just to clone their work and sell it for less. These individuals deserve respect from the industry in which appears they get none. I think it’s safe to say that these guys are contributing to the success of the big box rod advancements over the years.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

It really depends on how much of a customized rod one wants.

I wanted a customized bait casting rod set up and at the time, no one really wanted to build one. I kind of had to settled on who wanted to build one and the components of choice that they were willing to use.

I had originally wanted SiC rings and a lighter type of handle. In the end Thorne Bros was willing to build me a set. It had to be Walleye Sweethearts at that time. I did get Alconite guides and their basic bait cast handle. In the end the finished rods were a bit heavier in weight than I would’ve like, but they fished great. That was about 15 yrs ago maybe.

Now, still looking for bait casting set ups and there still isn’t a market for it. Again went back to Thorne Bros and had them build me a set. One Perch and one Panfish Sweethearts and special requested to make such a rod. These two are actually modeled against one I had Thorne Bros built for me nearly 15 yrs ago as well. You see it in my avatar with the Chronarch 50Mg.

So from my perspective, the manufactures still haven’t caught up to “custom” rods. They do put out some really nice rods, that are priced aboved the customized rods that I have paid for.

Ryan Wilson

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ryan Wilson wrote:</div>

If you are building an ice rod and only have 35.00 into the entire build, that means you bought cheap bottom of the barrel components. I’ve tried building rod(I don’t have the patience) and with the little time I put into it I know that you get what you pay for. Blanks are not the same or quality comparable and really is the same with all components. From what I can tell is that most ice rod builders are basically rod assemblers. Most ice rods being made/sold are basically cataloged part rods and there is little difference between the final products between many builders which is really too bad and kind of ruins the image for all builders. From the forums and FB groups that I read through, there really only is a handful of true CUSTOM rod builders out there. These are the builders that are innovating, advancing which ultimately benefits the sport of fishing. Builders like Kevin Johnson, Andy wolfram, Eric vossler and chris stanton. From the turned grips to carbon fiber work to the decorative wraps, these builders are producing functional art that performs. Hell… chris stanton even makes his own blanks from scratch! The thing is that these guys are coming up with new “technologies”, develop a following and then get ripped off and undercut by the bigger companies. It’s easy for the bigger companies to sit back and let the little guys invest their own money and do the R&D just to clone their work and sell it for less. These individuals deserve respect from the industry in which appears they get none. I think it’s safe to say that these guys are contributing to the success of the big box rod advancements over the years.

You clearly don’t know what your talking about when it comes to components. Yes, $35 is about all you need for a custom ice rod build. I’m only talking about rod components, not the equipment it takes for the entire process.

It’s fiberglass, cork, thread, epoxy, and wire, maybe carbon… How much do you expect it to cost? All of those things are very cheap. You don’t need a $30-$50 blank or a $40 set of guides for it to be “custom”. That’s just fools tax. You should have shopped around first instead of thinking your rods would have been better by spending more money on them. I’m sorry you think that “custom” implies a dollar amount spent. The most expensive part of a custom rod is the cost of labor. Considering I built them myself, hey guess what? I didn’t have to pay a 300% markup for them. I’d rather have a CUSTOM taper (you know, the entire reason rods are custom anyways. Just because you picked the thread color doesn’t mean it’s custom) than a $40 thing that doesn’t do what I want it to do anyways.

Building fishing rods is easy and cheap. You’re paying a custom builder for their time, not the components. A fancy weave or intricate handle doesn’t improve the fishability of any rod and that sure as hell isn’t what you’re paying for. You’re paying for it because it looks pretty not because the components are expensive or even that it’s hard to do. It just takes time. Time equals money. Cutting wedges in cork is dead simple. Applying glue is dead simple. Shaping cork on a lathe is dead simple. No custom builder is doing anything with carbon other than buying prebuilt carbon components or using carbon shrink tubing over cork or eva handles. Again, super cheap and easy.

What about this aren’t you understanding?

sheppy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>sheppy wrote:</div>

You clearly don’t know what your talking about when it comes to components. Yes, $35 is about all you need for a custom ice rod build. I’m only talking about rod components, not the equipment it takes for the entire process.

It’s fiberglass, cork, thread, epoxy, and wire, maybe carbon… How much do you expect it to cost? All of those things are very cheap. You don’t need a $30-$50 blank or a $40 set of guides for it to be “custom”. That’s just fools tax. You should have shopped around first instead of thinking your rods would have been better by spending more money on them. I’m sorry you think that “custom” implies a dollar amount spent. The most expensive part of a custom rod is the cost of labor. Considering I built them myself, hey guess what? I didn’t have to pay a 300% markup for them. I’d rather have a CUSTOM taper (you know, the entire reason rods are custom anyways. Just because you picked the thread color doesn’t mean it’s custom) than a $40 thing that doesn’t do what I want it to do anyways.

Building fishing rods is easy and cheap. You’re paying a custom builder for their time, not the components. A fancy weave or intricate handle doesn’t improve the fishability of any rod and that sure as hell isn’t what you’re paying for. You’re paying for it because it looks pretty not because the components are expensive or even that it’s hard to do. It just takes time. Time equals money. Cutting wedges in cork is dead simple. Applying glue is dead simple. Shaping cork on a lathe is dead simple. No custom builder is doing anything with carbon other than buying prebuilt carbon components or using carbon shrink tubing over cork or eva handles. Again, super cheap and easy.

Lol!!! Go do some more research then Come back and say that. You are the one that’s clueless!

sheppy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>sheppy wrote:</div>

Ryan thinks that components are the same throughout when in fact there is a huge difference. Educate yourself! I sure hope your not trying to pawn off high quality with you bottom tier garbage! Rod building is an art form that functions. Your right with one thing, decorative thread art does not catch more fish but some builders don’t find building basic rods fun like they do with thread art. Lol… loser!

Ryan Wilson

Jesus Christ you guys are dull. Like I said, fools tax. We’re talking ICE RODS here. Tell me the differences in material when it comes to ice-rod components if you think you know everything. There is so much more to building an ice-rod than spending money on components you think you need because the internet told you to do so. You have no idea what my works like and you only base it on how much money I spent on building it. Both of your guys comments is what deters new people from building rods for themselves. The notion that if you don’t spend a tremendous amount of money you’re building garbage. Get out of here with that nonsense. I’d love to see some links to “quality components” that aren’t just up-marked foreign components. Recoils aside. And even then, recoils aren’t the only name in the game. Not to mention that “custom” is in the eye of the customer. At what point does a hand built rod from scratch not become custom?

You’re as gullible as you are ignorant. Again, show me all these super expensive necessary ice-rod components a custom rod just can’t be without? The hell are you people even talking about?

Ryan Wilson

You even admit to putting in very little time into building rods because your brain power couldn’t handle it then you try to come across as an expert on building rods……… Just stop with the bull.

Anonymous
    Inactive

You guys need to go fishing.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Hey guys, it’s one thing to disagree and have a huge difference of opinion. Gets ridiculous when the insults are added in. Let’s keep this friendly before someone gets the boot wave

tswoboda

HAVE MANUFACTURED RODS CAUGHT UP TO “CUSTOM”?

Well St. Croix is making custom ice rods now sooo…. Yeah ??

frank z

Take broken rod to TB they will rebuild with your parts great much cheaper than buying new

canoebasser
    St. Paul, MN

I think this can go both ways. A few years ago, you couldn’t even find TUCR in the stores, but now you can. As with Clam outdoors, 13 Fishing, and St. Croix you see a lot of new rods replicating a “custom” look.

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

I have had three TUCR and they are great. I think the edge that in the noodle rod category you can find manufactured options like the dead meat stick, beaver dam noodle… that will perform quite well for a lot less of the price.

I have a couple of those and fishing next to a bullwhip I think they are similar… similar enough that for $80 less gives me something to think about especially when you have kids or non-avid ice fisherman using them.

I think that the edge custom rod makers have two things going for them in my opinion. One is that there is a difference, maybe less than it was 5-6 years ago, and I (along with others) are willing to pay for that difference. Another thing is that for an extra small fee you can get those rods personalized which I think gives custom rods an edges.

These are my opinions and I don’t fish for lake trout or any larger game fish so can not comment on rods meant for those applications.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

TUCR’s are not custom just because it is in there name. They are production rods. Custom rods are built for the buyer. colors, designs, handle, guides, and even action.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

In a way they have by offering better designed tappers to their blanks and the use of better components and cork. Also, the cost of a off the shelf rod is up there with a full custom rod.

The way they haven’t is with the unlimited options that a true full custom rod maker can offer. I also don’t know why most seem to use such small guides. You are not saving that much weight.

I think the true questions are have Custom Rod Builders become production builders AND how many custom builders ceased advancing forward???

Randy is spot on with this statement. There are not too many builders that are testing and trying original things. I have thrown away a good chunk of $$ testing ideas but I have also found things that no one else is doing. I have some other ideas that I would like to try but just don’t have the money to test it.

tucrs
    NW Metro

TUCR’s are not custom just because it is in there name. They are production rods. Custom rods are built for the buyer. colors, designs, handle, guides, and even action.

We still build them that way as well.

hnd

So in many cases what we designated as a custom rod is now a manufactured rod for all intents and purposes. If 90% of your clients ask for a 28″ noodle with a 5″ cork handle and fly guides, regardless of color of wrap and crap, it makes absolute sense to premanufacturer for store shelves.

But the big players in the ice rod business have really stepped up their game. I wouldn’t say they have caught up but its really close.

take the noodle game for example. the only mass market noodle rod was the HT ice blue? but that had a moderate actions and were pretty loosy goosy. The rest of the mass market was ultralight or light with a spring bobber.

the custom market offered that fast/xfast option with the tip and it changed everything. most guys that i know that panfish hardcore run noodle rods where 10 years ago we all had spring bobber rods in our hands (some guys still do especially tournament guys)

but now the mass market guys are stepping up. st croix, clam, 13, jason mitchell have all upped the game in the noodle rod market. like they functionally work. Some push a carbon blank for their noodles which definitely don’t work as well for panfish on 3mm tungsten but some have figured it out.

hnd

and yes my good buddy is a custom rod builder open and ice. high end ice components for an ice rod run at the most 50 bucks if you spring for high end recoil guides. standard fly guides, precision blank, and cork is like 30 bucks tops.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.