Has a new bar been set?

• ThunderLund78

Prior to yesterday, I think Whitney Houston was generally accepted as having the best National Anthem performance at the super bowl, and I don’t disagree with that. But I think Chris Stapleton set the new high bar yesterday. Not uncommon to see some swollen eyes and grown men fighting tears during the anthem, but several players/coaches flat-out crying was a powerful sight. I thought it was great. Now ad for the half-time show… well… that’s a topic for another thread.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Now ad for the half-time show… well… that’s a topic for another thread.

LOL I’ll go ahead and say that it was easily the worst halftime performance in years. I didn’t realize how ugly Rihanna was until last night. Her hair is a greasy mess. She can’t sing. And all she did last night was bounce around in a red robe and grab her crotch, making wah wah wah noises. Even my wife was like “change this nonsense please.” sleeping

“The only thing worse than the halftime show was the turf.” – KFAN morning show

CaptainMusky

Chris Stapleton is absolutely fantastic and he nailed that Anthem like a boss! Im not sure Id say it was better than Whitney or even Carrie Underwood, but it was definitely equally as good as those. Its rare for a guy to be able to nail the Anthem like that.

Brittman

Stapleton was very good. He has cross-genre appeal.

Rhianna is likely pregnant. Rhianna lip-syncing at times ???

CaptainMusky

Rhianna is likely pregnant. Rhianna lip-syncing at times ???

She is pregnant and yes she was.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

What bar was set having a second national anthem just for a select group of Americans?

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Chris Stapleton is absolutely fantastic and he nailed that Anthem like a boss! Im not sure Id say it was better than Whitney or even Carrie Underwood, but it was definitely equally as good as those. Its rare for a guy to be able to nail the Anthem like that.

Totally agree.

haleysgold
    SE MN

What bar was set having a second national anthem just for a select group of Americans?

X1000.
    Ridiculous.

Jimmy Jones

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

X1000.
    Ridiculous.

No doubt.

Stapleton did some unreal magic with the Anthem, something sorely lacking in the past four or five years.

Tlazer

I don’t remember Whitney’s but I know she had a wonderful voice. I have to say that I was also moved by Chris’s singing the anthem. Best I have heard in years.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’d put his performance on the same level as Houston and Underwood as stated above. He’s THE most talented vocalist out there right now regardless of genre, and it’s really not close. The best part about Stapleton is that in-person even in a huge venue…he sounds exactly the same as on the radio. That’s extremely rare.

As for the halftime show, I’d give it a D-. I’m sure there have been worse ones, but this was pretty brutal. It appeals to more audiences when they bring in multiple singers throughout the performance. Hearing Rihanna the entire time didn’t do much for me.

CaptainMusky

I don’t remember Whitney’s but I know she had a wonderful voice. I have to say that I was also moved by Chris’s singing the anthem. Best I have heard in years.

You can find it on Youtube I am sure. It was absolutely fantastic!

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

You would think that a woman that was pregnant, and already has a child would present with a little more class. That performance definately was not a family friendly viewing event.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Rihanna was the egg and the dancers were the sperm. Great performance by Stapleton!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

yea she stunk…..definitely not family friendly with kids in the room.

this stapleton, other then hearing about him for the first time. i was just so-so with him. and even less then impressed with the person that sang America the Beautiful before it. doah

why do these performers need to put there own twist to it?????????? chased sing it like its meant to be.

but then again that my own personal opinion!!!!!!

Reef W

Ahhh, the annual clutching of the pearls lol

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

And they all went home millionaires LOL Speaking of Barr, remember Roseanne Barr singing the anthem at the Padres game in 90? Utterly bad !

MX1825

Halftime show sucked! She looked like she lip synced most of the show. JMO

deertracker

Halftime show sucked! She looked like she lip synced most of the show. JMO
    [/quote

She was singing to a backing track. Pretty common for this style of music and rap.
    DT

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Never seen it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.