Harvesting Big Fish

• Mike Burke
    Oskaloosa, Iowa

I was wondering something about some of the bigger fish we catch.
    After catching this smallmouth in a local river and releasing it I got to wondering.
    It fought like crazy, and was clearly worn out but I eased it back in the water and cradled it for a while until it could swim off my itself. But I wondered if it would survive.

Is there a point at which we harvest the larger fish we catch ??

Attachments:
    1. small-mouth.jpg

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I was wondering something about some of the bigger fish we catch.
    After catching this smallmouth in a local river and releasing it I got to wondering.
    It fought like crazy, and was clearly worn out but I eased it back in the water and cradled it for a while until it could swim off my itself. But I wondered if it would survive.

Is there a point at which we harvest the larger fish we catch ??

If wearing fish out is a concern, use heavier gear for a faster landing.

You recoup faster from a 100yd sprint, than you do a marathon.

This is why I preach NO WIMPY GEAR FOR STURGEON. It applies to everything, but I doubt that small mouth Took 10+ minutes yo retrieve. Sometimes the way you hold them they’re quite comfortable. Lil slap usually wakes them up.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

A lot depends on what time of year the fish is caught too. They have a lower chance of survival in warm water than in cooler water (hence the hooking mortality thing on mille lacs). Peak summer heat is hard on most fish. If you are able to remove the hook quickly and get them back into the water soon after a photo they should make it. That’s assuming you didn’t deeply hook the fish in the throat or gills either.

curleytail

I look at it like I do passing up a buck on public land. There’s certainly a chance somebody else will shoot it. But if I shoot it, it then has 0 chance of making another year and being an older, bigger buck.

Some fish die after releasing, no doubt. But the ones we keep all die.

I vote for using adequate gear and releasing big/trophy fish. If one truly goes belly up on you and just dies while releasing, then it might as well go home with you.

Tucker

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Another thing to consider is the reproductive years of the species that one is chasing. Releasing a large fish that has passed its effective reproducing years isn’t really doing much other than letting your trophy swim away. Nothing wrong with that at all but I think a lot of times releasing fish is done with the idea that they will go make more fish with that gene make up, which is true but only up to a certain point. Had a friend that was a fish biologist and he told me that older fish are poor reproducers. I guess one could look at it like a hatchery releasing old brood stock.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Smallies are tough fish. River smallies, even tougher! (Looks like you are fishing a small river.) Unless it was bleeding bad, that fish very likely survived no problem.

If that fish was a trophy in your opinion, go get a replica made. If that fish you released died, well the crawfish need to eat too….

-J.

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

I’ve boated 5 world class walleyes over the past few years. Walleyes that most people could fish 10 lifetimes for and never see. Every single fish was handled with utmost care and released. I don’t care what research shows as far as big, old, mature fish in terms of reproductive fertility. I have a certain level of respect for a fish that spent its entire life beating the odds to become true giants – freaks of nature, if you will. That same respect won’t allow me to kill them, especially for taxidermy motives. Crudely fastening a fish to a piece of old driftwood to hang on a wall doesn’t do these fish justice. Today’s replicas are amazing. They look better when new and look substantially better 15-20 years from now. There are molds out there for almost every dimension of fish that swims.

All this said, I’ll never harass or belittle someone who feels differently than myself.

Michael Johnson

I for one can say I know for a fact that I have caught fish again that I have released before, especially smallies. Once in awhile you catch a fish with a distinguishing mark that you can recognize.
    As far as the conversation about the reproductive success of the fish goes I see things different living in Iowa. I fish walleyes more than anything so that is the species I can talk about most. In most of our rivers in Iowa there is not a lot of natural reproduction of walleyes. We rely a lot on the DNR stocking efforts to have the fish we do. In NE Iowa the DNR does a fantastic job with that. The biggest part to the equation here is time to grow the fish. I’ve read studies from the DNR that show a 23″ fish here is 10 years old and grow approximately 1″ per year after that. That puts that coveted 30″ fish at 17 years old. The way I look at it is if I keep a 28″ fish it will take 15 years to replace that fish in the system. Sure the DNR stocks lots of fish but they don’t stock the quality of fish we are looking for. There is no replacement for the time it takes for that fish to get big.
    I would rather release the fish and give it a shot at living rather than take it home and guarantee it’s going to die.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I have a certain level of respect for a fish that spent its entire life beating the odds to become true giants – freaks of nature, if you will.

That’s exactly how I feel.

I used to like to get in on the discussion of releasing big fish that we used to have on here. I’ve heard the viable reproduction argument and my response is even of generally speaking it is true, you don’t know if it applied to the individual you just caught. They truly could be a freak of nature (mutation) that have accelerated growth rates and are great breeders even in old age. You don’t know.

We have seen what happens with “unnatural” manmade selection when it comes to bluegills. For a century because of their size the biggest were always kept. I’ll neve be convinced that all stunted sunfish and the generally small size overall in the fishery isn’t due to generations and generations of sunfish being able to avoid the frying pan. The reason? Their genes made them predisposed to slow growth and even a smaller max length and less desirable for the freezer.

Karry Kyllo

All arguments about releasing trophy size fish aside, it can’t be argued that the genetics possessed by trophy size fish do contribute favorably to the gene pool to some extent, no matter the fertility of any certain individual fish. Certainly all trophy size fish do not survive when released after being caught, but the genes of trophy size fish almost certainly possess desirable traits important to every fishery.
    I’ll never fault anyone for keeping a fish if it’s their legal right to do so, nor should anyone else, but I think that trophy size fish are important to almost every population.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

I don’t care what research shows as far as big, old, mature fish in terms of reproductive fertility. I have a certain level of respect for a fish that spent its entire life beating the odds to become true giants – freaks of nature, if you will.

Amen! applause

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I like to eat fish, I keep what I legally can and not always a full limit. It depends on the fishery I am fishing bit in general I have no issues keeping bigger fish…..people that say they prefer to eat the smaller ones normally just say that because they can’t catch bigger fish…..this has been my experience.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

It generally takes quite a while for a fish in this part of the country to grow to “large” size. Replacing them takes a lot of time because of the slow growth rate in cold water for half the year. I think most anglers see the value of attempting to release a large fish unharmed, regardless of species. And we still rely on natural reproduction to sustain most fish populations here too.

Additionally, keeping larger fish versus smaller fish is not healthy to eat either, as larger fish often have more buildup of chemicals in their filets too.

Mike Burke
    Oskaloosa, Iowa

Well..I agree with all the comments made here. I have never been one to keep Large fish. I have non on my wall and probably never will. I like to keep some fish to eat (pan fish and walleye) just like most here….but to kill these Larger fish it won’t be me doing it. I was just wondering what the survivable rate would be for large fish that fight hard and then let go…but when their released they at least have a chance but when taken home they have No chance. I respect the larger fish also and feel they are rare.
    I have looked at a lot of old photos of fisherman on Leech and seen all the Large northern and muskies that they slaughtered years ago and its sickening.
    Thanks for all the comments

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

people that say they prefer to eat the smaller ones normally just say that because they can’t catch bigger fish…..this has been my experience.

You dont have much experience, do you? doah

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’ve boated 5 world class walleyes over the past few years. <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>Walleyes that most people could fish 10 lifetimes for and never see. Every single fish was handled with utmost care and released. I don’t care what research shows as far as big, old, mature fish in terms of reproductive fertility. I have a certain level of respect for a fish that spent its entire life beating the odds to become true giants – freaks of nature, if you will. That same respect won’t allow me to kill them, especially for taxidermy motives. Crudely fastening a fish to a piece of old driftwood to hang on a wall doesn’t do these fish justice. Today’s replicas are amazing. They look better when new and look substantially better 15-20 years from now. There are molds out there for almost every dimension of fish that swims.

All this said, I’ll never harass or belittle someone who feels differently than myself.

applause

I couldn’t agree more. I haven’t caught world class fish like you, but have released walleye that were “mount” worthy for most. Without hesitation I try to keep them in the water while unhooking, lift them to take a couple pictures as quickly as possible, do a quick girth and length measurement with a seamstress tape, and send them on their way. I’d say this process takes ~45 seconds total with not more than 20 seconds out of the water. The replicas out there are great and maintain their look over time.

I had one on Pool 4 a few years ago that went 29.5″ on a July day that hit a crank going 3.4mph and came from 76 degree water. It had a gut like it was March. It was the one real nice fish I’ve debated on keeping due to circumstances. I quickly realized that me keeping it killed it regardless. Refreshing it in a giant livewell seemed to do the trick and it swam off to hopefully be someone else’s trophy.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Lets throw a curve in here what about people that only hunt for big Bucks, or only shoot big Bucks………can the same claims be made for them as we do big fish. Does are maybe better table fair and more of them and many Does are just as big body wise.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Lets throw a curve in here what about people that only hunt for big Bucks, or only shoot big Bucks………can the same claims be made for them as we do big fish. Does are maybe better table fair and more of them and many Does are just as big body wise.

That’s a fair question. However, I’m fairly certain that most large fish can be released quickly and properly based on the individual that is doing it, whereas a big buck isn’t going to survive a well placed shot to the vitals. Also, I’ve never heard of a replica mount of a deer.

I can see the correlation that you’re trying to get at but comparing them doesn’t seem to fit very well.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Just think if everybody threw every fish they ever caught back… you could walk across the lakes on the backs of all the big fish. There needs to be a balance in nature… and yes, we are a part of nature.

tradersbayrookie

Ive been keeping a lot more 22-24″ fish for the pan on leech. Obviously not trophy in my book, but also not considered a “good eater”. My taste buds cant tell the difference when cubed, fried, and served in tacos. IMO leech has been negatively impacted by their slot, protecting those 20-26″ fish for the past decade. Just too much biomass in the lake coupled with minimal weed growth. Last years change allowing the bigger fish to get pulled out of the system was a good move by the DNR, IMO. Keep whats legal and you wont hear anything negative out of my mouth.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Sometimes the big girls just don’t swim back. I caught a trophy walleye last winter in 10’ of water, on northern gear, fight lasted 10-15 seconds, took measurements, photo, release…tried reviving her for 15 minutes and never gave the kick to let go, tough to see. We ate it, terrible… like a sponge. Fish didn’t go to waste and was legal, but felt bad

Buffalo Fishhead

Just think if everybody threw every fish they ever caught back… you could walk across the lakes on the backs of all the big fish. There needs to be a balance in nature… and yes, we are a part of nature.

If those big fish would all be released there would be a balance of nature, it is called natural mortality.

Buffalo Fishhead

john23
    St. Paul, MN

There are a lot of reasons to release all of the big ones and selectively harvest smaller fish. If you don’t release the big fish, it will die for sure. Dead fish don’t grow. Dead fish can’t be caught again. And dead fish don’t breed.

Edit: To be fair, some people want a “numbers” lake that produces lots of fish to eat. It does make logical sense to me that those people would want to keep more big ones … so they could have more small ones. That’s never been of interest to me. I’d rather have 100 25″-30″ walleyes out there than 150 15″-20″ walleyes.

Finally, it’s true that sometimes a fish just isn’t going to make it. That happens to fish of all sizes. If this happens to you more than on very rare occasions, you’re doing something wrong.

big_g
    Isle, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>big_g wrote:</div>

If those big fish would all be released there would be a balance of nature, it is called natural mortality.

Buffalo Fishhead

Hence my last line…. “WE” are part of nature (natural mortality). We often think so much of ourselves being so superior, that we forget where we came from.

Buffalo Fishhead

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Buffalo Fishhead wrote:</div>

Buffalo Fishhead

Hence my last line…. “WE” are part of nature (natural mortality). We often think so much of ourselves being so superior, that we forget where we came from.

While I agree we (humans) are part of nature, “we” have little to do with natural mortality in a fish population.

We have everything to do with angling mortality.

Buffalo Fishhead

big_g
    Isle, MN

Buffalo Fishhead

While I agree we (humans) are part of nature, “we” have little to do with natural mortality in a fish population.

Buffalo Fishhead

So you are saying man is different from a Bear when he eats a big salmon in what way ? Now if the Bear just went down to the creek to see what Big Salmon he could “catch” and then let them go, that would not be considered natural. So technically, one could say, man eating big fish or any fish for that matter, is natural. Catching them over and over, hoping they survive would not be natural. That I am on board with.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>BigWerm wrote:</div>
    Here’s a good article on the topic.
    http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/why-you-should-always-always-always-release-big-fish/

Is it a good article? Many here have read studies saying the older the fish gets the less viable the eggs become, this article is saying almost exact opposite with no studies to back it up.

Less viable to me makes it even more important to release big fish. If they were more viable then keeping big fish would make less difference.

riverruns
    Inactive

Buffalo Fishhead

Buffalo Fishhead

So you are saying man is different from a Bear when he eats a big salmon in what way ? Now if the Bear just went down to the creek to see what Big Salmon he could “catch” and then let them go, that would not be considered natural. So technically, one could say, man eating big fish or any fish for that matter, is natural. Catching them over and over, hoping they survive would not be natural. That I am on board with.

What if man had bear license and fishing license with salmon stamp, and seen bear with fresh salmon in mouth and shot bear and kept bear and Salmon that bear caught to eat?

Any chance to release bear and salmon.

I would keep both.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.