Handling carp, bigguns.

• nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

How do you!!??

Fun catching the things but kind of tired of wrestling it on shore or the floor of the boat. Its a good problem to have but after awhile a guys starts to get PO, and way to wet from its runs while you attemp to grab it.

Can’t grab them by the tail, wiggle free. Can’t go for the gills, wiggle free. Stomachs hold, wiggle free. Wiggle wiggle wiggle.

Fish glove? Do they work?

Saw some absolute bruisers at the river today, got me kind of itchy.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Stupid question, but doesn’t that harm em?

dbright
    Cambridge

Try a pair of fish grips. I had a few spots I planned on hitting tell the water came up.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

gaffin em might leave a mark. doah

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I thought you are not to return ruff fish to the water anyway

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

I thought you are not to return ruff fish to the water anyway

Nope…myth..No such regulation…

Why just kill it for no reason?

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Not a correction Rick but eagles do pretty good by themselves fishing. A fish on the bank is coon and mink food, like you said it never goes to waste.

Rick Streiff
    Rochester, MN

I was just joking, true there is no waste but I let everything go that I have no use for.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

The problem with this imaginary situation is it wouldn’t feed mink or coons either because like the real bait law, you’d have to dispose of them properly.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

Boga grip, or one of the knock offs. They can wiggle all they want, to no avail.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

…like you said it never goes to waste.

The amount of rotting fish I have seen/smelled on shores beg to differ.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Way too many dead fish on shores. Had some guys left a carp on shore at coon rapids dam so I put that fish back into the river.

Besides it’s in the reg about not wasting natural resources.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Should have called a CO.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Should have called a CO.

I disagree.

Everyone I’ve notified that’s its been illegal for a few years have no idea, and then usually kick it back in themselves.

Give people a chance before bothering the COs. I don’t like it, but I’m not going to bother the DNR over dead carp.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Ok, talk to them first…

..then call the CO

Its almost become a wives tale, not being able to return carp to the water.

Nic Barker
    Central WI-Northern IL

I believe the do not return rule applies to Asian Carp species though, as they are completely invasive.

Commons are non native but have become naturalized, where as the Asian species are too new to be considered naturalized yet. However I am not going to care about people removing carp, as long as they dispose of the properly such as a dumpster or a privately owned field where they have permission to dump as fertilizer.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Not only are you not to return those carp deemed asian carp, bighead and silver (maybe one more), but I believe you are supposed to call the DNR.

People removing carp for the purpose of removing carp are ridiculous. You aren’t making any positive impact to the ecosystem.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Please don’t encourage eagles and other wildlife to eat what we catch. They are wild animals and should be fine getting their own groceries.

With the resurgence of the eagle population, there are already reports of eagles “fish begging” by landing on boats and walking up to anglers on shore because they have learned that some anglers will hand them a free dinner. Sooner or later this will cause problems for the people and the birds. Let the birds and the wildlife to go out and get their dinners old school style.

Grouse

gbfan10
    Hastings, mn

We had an Eagle begging for fish when we were ice fishing last year. It learned to look around ice houses for a free meal.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

‘Kill a Carp, Save a Duck’ campaign officially started.eagle

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Try fishing from a pier down here and keeping a pelican from stealing your fish. Pretty much every shore bird down here “begs”. I don’t mind the little egrets though or any other shorebird. They are not aggressive, but the pelicans are very persistent.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

Big carp are hard to handle. cradles and large soft mesh nets are about the only way. In the 70’s it was against the law to return carp to the water and was in the rule book. We would just heave them up on the the bank or do the rapala fillet knife stab n release. Now I enjoy the battle to much and carfully release them.

Mwal

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I remember battling a 10# carp on an ultralight on the Rum river. 3-4 tries to some how get under the gill plate to hoist him up and snap.

I also discovered that summer you could catch carp slow dragging a jig on the bottom. Kind of fun compared to dunking worms and waiting.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.