Handgun cleaning

• buck-slayer

I know how to clean my long guns but have no clue on handguns. Watched a buddy cleaned mine years ago and just remember a spring shooting out. Take it to a gun smith? Or is their someone around Hudson that could help me out. Obviously would pay for the service.

fishtoeat
    Chippewa Falls, Wi

I’d bet you would find a youtube video on it. What’s the make and model?

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Youtube is your best friend. Or just dunk it in Tri-Flow (somewhat not serious)

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We shot a couple thousand rounds on Sunday, and I just finished cleaning 4 handguns and it’s very easy. As stated above. There is breakdown videos on almost any gun you want on YouTube. I wouldn’t pay any one. If you can do a shotgun you can handle a handgun. 4 semi autos 2 revolvers and ar guns took no time at all

picklerick
    Central WI

If I can do it, anyone can. I once tore my finger open changing a spark plug on my outboard, so I’m about the least handy person there is.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

but have no clue on handguns.

Go to the website of the firearms maker for your gun. There almost certainly will be detailed instructions on the correct procedure for your exact make and model. Many manufactures will even have a video of the procedure.

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

Not to insult your intelligence at all….but make sure that the chamber is empty before you start trying to pull things apart. Statistically there are a lot more accidents with handguns than there are with shotguns/rifles. With that said…it is a quick and easy job.

Coletrain27

Super easy to do at home. YouTube the breakdown of your model guns and it will take 15 minutes

ThunderLund78

I can only speak for my S&W M&P – which us beautiful in its simplicity – but cleaning is a breeze. Yes, use caution as most semis require a dry fire of some type to disengage the slide. YouTube is a great resource.

I find it very enjoyable and satisfying to clean my gun and I look at it as part of the shooting process.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

As others mentioned, find take down instructions for your firearm. If a spring shot out I’m thinking you might have a 1911? If so they can be tricky the first time or two, but the good news is they’re almost all exactly the same so there’s plenty of detailed videos on the subject. When you remove the barrel bushing your spring can launch its end cap if you’re not careful. Eye protection is recommended.

The various polymer semi autos are all typically pretty simple and typically won’t launch any parts on you.

Always always always make sure you are unloaded and chamber is empty. This cannot be stressed enough. I can take down a P250/ 320 and all glocks in about 3 seconds flat but I’ve done it hundreds of times.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Glad to see a few mention the safety aspect of what you’re doing; make sure that thing is clear.

Nothing that hasn’t been said already. The manufacturer website could have a manual, otherwise I’m sure Youtube has something. What kind of handgun is it? Do you have the supplies and solvents/lubricants you’ll need?

onestout
    Hudson, WI

If you want some help with it stop by some night and we can do it. Is it a 1911 by any chance? Or what model do you have?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.