food plot plow?

• Bruce Barnum

This has been one of the best spring and early summer fishing I’ve seen. I think the cool water temps have kept fish fairly shallow and active.

But things, they are a changin’!

Bruce

scenic tackle
    Bemidji, MN

Yes they sure are. With this summer weather we are having all of a sudden things will change fast.

TeamBurbot

Has anyone used the King Kutter 48 Inch Compact Disc
    from fleet farm, it seems to be a preety good price for this implement. just wondering if its to good to be true, does it really turn up the ground good?

lick

I tried the disc behind the wheeler route. It worked but wasn’t the best as I had to really work both my equipment and myself very hard to turn the soil up. Maybe if the area had been worked in the past it would do the trick but for virgin soil I would try to get a tiller in there

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Quote:

Has anyone used the King Kutter 48 Inch Compact Disc
    from fleet farm, it seems to be a preety good price for this implement. just wondering if its to good to be true, does it really turn up the ground good?

It will work just fine in existing corn or soybean fields if you plan on using it in any kind of virgin ground to prepare for a seed that needs to be planted 1 1/2 – 2″ deep you will be disappointed If you were to use roundup several times this summer to keep the ground free from any weeds or grasses you would probably be able to work your soil good enough to plant clover or brassicas, Your best bet would be to kill the weeds, till and plant. I have found that tillers are fairly cheap to rent. I have seen pics of pats plots that have been tilled and then planted. They look awesome

whittsend

Yes, a disc/4 wheeler WILL work. The disc I use (posted above) works extremely well – It may cost a bit more, but its worth it.. Much heavier than the “flip discs”… The weight is necessary.. Sorry, I don’t have any experience with the FF King Kutter… Make sure whatever you use is 400 lbs + if using 8 discs… I do NOT need to add additional weight to my disc.

Should you roundup once or twice beforehand? Absolutely. Kill everything as dead as can be. Should you mow the grass/weeds to prepare the ground for discing? Again, yes… Cut it short and/or remove the chaff so it doesn’t bind up the discs or make them ride above the soil…

But otherwise, properly prepared virgin soil will disc up just fine with a good, heavy disk. I have disced up virgin soil (yes it might take more than one pass) easily enough… And deep enough to just about get stuck/bogged down in the dirt. I have even disced up living sod, although it takes more passes to accomplish.. Definitely roundup at least 1 or 2 times prior and give it a few weeks to really brown/dry up the whole plant/roots…

2 cents.

TeamBurbot

Thanks for the info guys, i will keep it all in mind when i go to plant some KILL plots this year at least i hope

zachary fries
    Central Nebraska

The disc will work but you will have to go over and over it. I have the KK 5′ tiller for my JD 3038 and I LUV IT!!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.