Still want to plant one small plot. Your thoughts

• big_g
    Isle, MN

A quick brush of Olive Oil on the grates, works great too, from keeping it sticking

big G

Sportland Bait

I’m hoping to get one more small plot in on a field edge. The farmer recently mowed down the oats he had there. I have a couple of nice bucks working the area. I know it is late but what should I plant there? Hoping to keep them in the area. I am thinking something easy like BF Oats. Is it too late for Rape/turnips? Or should I do a bit of both? What do you guys think? Thanks.

Jason

big_g
    Isle, MN

We did clover Aug 14th….this is a snapshot 8 days later, the 22nd.

qdm4life
    Albertville, MN

I am thinking something easy like BF Oats. Is it too late for Rape/turnips? Or should I do a bit of both? What do you guys think? Thanks.

Jason

Some of my best hunting has came from oat or wheat regrowth in ag feilds, if possilbe work it a little but not realy needed and load it up with wheat. To late for rape and turnups and IMO BF oats are overpriced for what you get. Wheat will grow in the back of your truck bed with prpoer moisture, they thrive in a varity of soils, need little moisture, need little fert., dont need full sun light and being that is a fall green plot you have the option to go heavy on the seed a bit to comp for heavy browseing when other food goes brown. BUT IMO the greatest benifit is that you dont need to get heavy equipment in the this close to the season, a little fert and lots of seed and you will have a plush green carpet in less than 2 weeks

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Depending on where your located you may have several options. If you are in the northern part of the state I would stick with the winter wheat, oats or winter cereal rye. Like qdm said just add some seed and lightly disc and you will have a nice plot If you are south of saint paul you might be able to plant rape and turnips but I wouldn’t expect more than about 6″ of growth and small bulbs when planted this late.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.